Options

Do digi cams pick up more light?

woodraewoodrae Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited April 3, 2005 in Cameras
I'm sure it's been discussed here somewhere, but I cannot seem to find it after searching, so please bear with me and perhaps lead me to the right spot.

I do a lot of studio shots with a D100 (mostly) synced to either a 500-watt or 1000w power source for light, and have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of light that my camera can see. In other words, I can light up the place with my smaller power box and still shoot with a small aperature (f22 and f25 is common)—something I could not do with my film Nikons.

In the past, with film, I had problems filling rooms with light. Now, with digital, I have the precise opposite problem: The camera reads so much light that I'm blowing out photos even when setting my power source to its lowest (250w) setting. Help!

What gives here? Can anyone explain why my camera is "seeing" more light? Is there a previous discussion somewhere that explains this? And is there some way to overcome my overexposed shots?

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 30, 2005
    I'm sure it's been discussed here somewhere, but I cannot seem to find it after searching, so please bear with me and perhaps lead me to the right spot.

I do a lot of studio shots with a D100 (mostly) synced to either a 500-watt or 1000w power source for light, and have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of light that my camera can see. In other words, I can light up the place with my smaller power box and still shoot with a small aperature (f22 and f25 is common)—something I could not do with my film Nikons.

In the past, with film, I had problems filling rooms with light. Now, with digital, I have the precise opposite problem: The camera reads so much light that I'm blowing out photos even when setting my power source to its lowest (250w) setting. Help!

What gives here? Can anyone explain why my camera is "seeing" more light? Is there a previous discussion somewhere that explains this? And is there some way to overcome my overexposed shots?

Are you talking about P&S digicams or DSLRs?? Not that it really matters.

ISO 100 - film or digital - the exposure is the same. I do not understand why your studio flashes seem so much more powerful if the ISO is the same as the film you were shooting. IF you were shooting with the automatic modes of most digicams and some DSLRs, the camera itself may be changing the ISO rather than keeping it constant? That could explain the blown highlights.

Digital is more sensitive to overexposure than film - it is much more like slide film than color negative. There is no slope to the curve as you approach overexposure - it is digital - and once you step outside the highest level of the sensor, it is completely white - blown - there is no gradual transition in the highlights like with film. But form your desription it does not sound like you are talking about a one or two stop difference, but substantially more, which leads me back to my origianl hypothesis. That your digital camera is on automatic, not manual exposure??
    You might consider using a neutral density filter to diminish the light exposure as a solution to your problem.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SteveLongPhotoSteveLongPhoto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    My biggest problem with studio shots is the flash sync speed on my S1 is 1/125. I use 3 photogenics, 2 with softboxes and one with reflecter fill. Crank down the power to almost nothing on the strobes and move 'em back and I'm shooting at f11 or f16. Can also try dialing down the EV compensation.

I shot this one at f13:

18616032-L.jpg
  • Options
    woodraewoodrae Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 2, 2005
    Steve—

Thanks for responding.

As I mentioned, I'm using a Nikon D100, which is an SLR—type digi cam. I am syncning with my lights at 1/125 on full manual. I usually use two umbrella heads plus a third light mounted in a softbox mounted to a moveable boom.

The problem is too much light! Even when powering down my 500w box to 250w, and moving my lights as far back as the studio or the location will allow, I still find I'm shooting at f22 or even higher. The camera is simply picking up too much light, and I don't know a) why, and b) what to do about it. It's very frustrating. And in the meantime, my photos are overexposed or, in my efforts to reduce the amount of light, badly lit.
  • Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2005
    You don't mention what ISO you're using...make sure it's at 100.
  • Options
    SteveLongPhotoSteveLongPhoto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2005
    My S1 Pro is a Digital SLR too. It's an older design, I can only go down to ISO 320. I don't know why you would be picking up more light than my Fuji. Something else you could do would be to hang diffusers in front of the strobes.