Options

Sunset at Cannon Beach, OR

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited July 6, 2008 in Landscapes
I went to the Oregon Coast all the time when I was a kid, but I haven't been there since I started taking photos. Now I think I'm going to have a hard time staying away!

I nearly froze to death out there, it was 80 degrees when I left my car, I figured a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops would be OK (even if it got down to 60), but I didn't account for the wind!

323198996_iB3T8-L.jpg

323206398_2dtEU-L.jpg

323204547_GgD5q-L.jpg

This one's my favorite:

323208412_QWXpV-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Beautiful shots Ron. 1 and 4 are my favs clap.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Beautiful !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    #1 is stunning, all are great. ! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

im so jealous, im glad you frose out there, its nice to know you suffered ...(even @ 60 deg w/ windchill of 50):D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    jopapecajopapeca Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Great shots. I love the #1 and last one...
    best regards
    Paulo Campos

My photos at Flickr
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Stunning! Love that beach!

The sun star and color simplicity in 1 is terrific.
    The soft water in 2 is dramatic and subtle at the same time.
    Love the colors and clouds and that ball o' sun in 3.
    I can see why 4 is your fave. It should be BIG on a wall somewhere! Gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    photosbyDanphotosbyDan Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    yeah..I got to get me some of these!..texas is blah
    Elaine wrote:

Thanks for sharing.
    "Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness."-Yousuf Karsh

www.danielchappellphotography.com

• Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    #1 is stunning, all are great. ! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

im so jealous, im glad you frose out there, its nice to know you suffered ...(even @ 60 deg w/ windchill of 50):D

Haha! It was actually colder than that, it didn't help that my bare feet were wet either. One example of many of me not thinking things ahead (I had a sweater in the car, but it was fifteen minutes away, and I wasn't about to leave my spot!).
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    Elaine wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Elaine, it's a great beach, it's actually about the same distance from Seattle as the beaches in Olympic National Park in Washington, so I'll probably head there a few more times. There's a lot of the Oregon Coast that I haven't been to that I want to visit as well. Some day!
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks Elaine, it's a great beach, it's actually about the same distance from Seattle as the beaches in Olympic National Park in Washington, so I'll probably head there a few more times. There's a lot of the Oregon Coast that I haven't been to that I want to visit as well. Some day!

I grew up 12 miles east of Bandon. If you haven't made it down that far, I recommend putting it on your list!
    Elaine

• Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Beautiful shots!! I like #4 with #2 a close second.
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Stunning!!! I like no#2.clap.gif
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Haha! It was actually colder than that, it didn't help that my bare feet were wet either. One example of many of me not thinking things ahead (I had a sweater in the car, but it was fifteen minutes away, and I wasn't about to leave my spot!).

i hope your toes recover:D

let me ask, did you use filters on #1, & #4 ? just curious what...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    Beautiful stuff, Ron! I am consistently envious of all the gorgeous places within your reach. I always knew the NW was full of great photo ops but you manage to always capture them at their peak. thumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 2, 2008
    Now these are just lovely.

Very nice indeed.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited July 2, 2008
    Great images! clap.gifclap

I love the drive out to Cannon Beach. I could smell the ocean before I could see it, and then .... "bam" it spreads out in front of you.

... And then "Haystack Rock"! You did it proud with the presense it deserves and the framing that make it stand out.

Good job and worth the cold.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    I grew up 12 miles east of Bandon. If you haven't made it down that far, I recommend putting it on your list!

I am playing Bandon Dunes in August. Is that near here? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    I am playing Bandon Dunes in August. Is that near here? headscratch.gif

These photos were taken at Cannon Beach, about 240 miles north of Bandon, on Hwy 101. The Bandon beaches are beautiful, and I've heard the golf courses are terrific! Enjoy!
    Elaine

• Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Wow, those are awesome. I flew across the country to shoot a sunset there (and take a vaca), and got crappy shots because of haze. Seeing these gives incentive to go back!
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    i hope your toes recover:D

let me ask, did you use filters on #1, & #4 ? just curious what...

Toes are doing fine!

I used a polarizer on #1 (to protect the lens more than anything), on the last one, I had a polarizer and a hand-held three-stop split-ND filter.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    These photos were taken at Cannon Beach, about 240 miles north of Bandon, on Hwy 101. The Bandon beaches are beautiful, and I've heard the golf courses are terrific! Enjoy!

I've heard the same thing about the Bandon beaches, they're on my (long) list, hopefully I'll make it down there sometime in the next few years (stupid day job).
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Beautiful stuff, Ron! I am consistently envious of all the gorgeous places within your reach. I always knew the NW was full of great photo ops but you manage to always capture them at their peak. thumb.gif

Thanks schmoo! I have plenty of non-peak photos, but I keep them to myself :D Should be a bunch of good photos coming up with the wildflowers starting to bloom, it's definitely a great place for photographers.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Wow, those are awesome. I flew across the country to shoot a sunset there (and take a vaca), and got crappy shots because of haze. Seeing these gives incentive to go back!

I'm lucky to be close enough that I can go down there on a whim (which I did), but it is hit or miss. It was actually fairly hazy until about an hour before sunset and then it turned awesome.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Great images! clap.gifclap

I love the drive out to Cannon Beach. I could smell the ocean before I could see it, and then .... "bam" it spreads out in front of you.

... And then "Haystack Rock"! You did it proud with the presense it deserves and the framing that make it stand out.

Good job and worth the cold.

Exactly! I hadn't been to Cannon Beach since I was a kid, and it really does sneak up on you, and then you come across Haystack Rock and nearly drive off the road looking at it. Of course, I parked at the north part of the beach and had to walk 25 minutes to get to Haystack rock, then ran back to my car, drove to the southern part of the beach to park, and had about 5 minutes to spare :D
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Toes are doing fine!

I used a polarizer on #1 (to protect the lens more than anything), on the last one, I had a polarizer and a hand-held three-stop split-ND filter.

you have done such a good job that all that golden color in #1 looks like a warming filter or something...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    you have done such a good job that all that golden color in #1 looks like a warming filter or something...

Thanks, that was mostly the white-balance which I had set to "cloudy" which gave it some warmth, I also underexposed by 1-1.5 stops to accentuate the silhouette.

IMO, the only filters that make sense to use with digital are polarizers, ND filters, and split-ND filters, the rest (warming/cooling/color filters) I can emulate in post-processing.
  • Options
    Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    Awesome shots I especially like #4 & #2. Great stuff. I think I wouldn't mind dealing with the 60 degrees and wet/windy though. Here in Alaska it doesn't get that warm for too long. And after 2 years here my blood has thickened so much I have to turn the AC on if it's over 64 and the suns beating on me. Better to be a little cold then swarmed by a small swarm of mosquitoes like I tried to shoot through yesterday. But seriously these pictures are spectacular!bowdown.gif

mike
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    Awesome shots I especially like #4 & #2. Great stuff. I think I wouldn't mind dealing with the 60 degrees and wet/windy though. Here in Alaska it doesn't get that warm for too long. And after 2 years here my blood has thickened so much I have to turn the AC on if it's over 64 and the suns beating on me. Better to be a little cold then swarmed by a small swarm of mosquitoes like I tried to shoot through yesterday. But seriously these pictures are spectacular!bowdown.gif

mike

Thanks Mike! I've found the quality of a photo is inversely proportional to the ease in which it was taken :D

When I go up to Alaska in the middle of winter, I'll pack only t-shirts and shorts and I should be guaranteed some good shots.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks Mike! I've found the quality of a photo is inversely proportional to the ease in which it was taken :D

So true. Hear, hear! lol3.gif
  • Options
    Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Lovely
    I love the second to last one. It is so dreamy!! Great set!!!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."