Options

Jason & Sara - Maternity

ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
edited July 4, 2008 in People
Shot with Canon Powershot S2 and Kodak P850 in the living room. C & C welcome.

100_2736copy.jpg

100_2759.jpg

100_2773copy.jpg

100_2823.jpg

100_2826.jpg

100_2852.jpg

IMG_9094.jpg

IMG_9143.jpg

IMG_9151.jpg

IMG_9180copy.jpg

IMG_9196copy.jpg

IMG_9215.jpg

# 13

IMG_9255.jpg

Blessings,
LadyTX

Comments

• Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    nice job, ladytx! I think you definately captured the love shared between these two and the apparent joy about the upcoming arrival. While I like them all, I think #4 and 11 are my fav's.

C.

PS - next time though, while these aren't too bad, see if you can get the mom to be in something other than stretch top jeans...
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Some things to keep in the back of your mind for future shoots.

1. It looks like you were to close to your subjects. In two of your shots the woman's legs look larger than they should. Her right hand looks much bigger than her left hand. (This from looking at her legs in standing positions.)

2. Work on your posing. Google "Maternity shots." Then download some poses for your shot book and pose accordingly.

3. Work on post processing and skin color.

4. Even though we all do this, all shots that don't work in color can't be made black and whites. If you've blown the highlights, your pictures won't look good in color or black and white. Kneeling black and white...girls face has a big white blown out spot on it.

5. 13 is my favorite and I like 9 and 11.

Keep shooting.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    I try to wait for a couple of comments before I give it a go.
    Hi there! Bear in mind I've never done a maternity shoot but I've given it a lot of thought and I want to do as many as possible. I suspect you don't have a tripod [neither do I] and so pressing the shutter can cause tremendous shake like in #1 #2 and #13.
    There's blue light, were you operating with a blue gel? The light also appears to be eye level or head level. It's best to put the lights above and below with some diffusion like umbrellas or relflectors bouncing it in. I think that's where the blow outs came from #1 in the hair and #12 on his back and shoulders. The poses can appear/seem racy/sexual. When I think "parents to be" I don't think sex, I think baby! #2, 3 ,8 and 12 make me think they're about to rough around right in front of you.
    Think about context. Would I think these things if he was wearing, say: an almost buttoned up white shirt and jeans and she was in a long, flowing white gown or top and skirt? It might be all the skin and the way they are touching. Like in #2 if he was looking into her eyes with his hand on her cheek and the other on her belly I wouldn't think sex I'd think Daddy loves them. It sorta looks like he's kissing her boob.

It's exciting to try to capture the joy, the love, and the tenderness while letting them play and look sexy, but in the right way. You can do a lot with a pretty coloured sheet or some glossy chiffon. She could have the cloth wrapped around her like a ribbon or draped over her on a really soft pile of pillows. Just cover your butt, and hers/his. If there's the chance it looks like too much cleavage... or she's o nthe verge of falling out or showing almost something naughty... try a different pose and cover up.

Please understand these are critiques and I hope I didn't sound too harsh. Now the good stuff! YAY!:ivar

Wonderful use of the baby clothes and the ultrasound picture, divine! That's a spectacular idea! You had a really playful couple and they were very realxed with you so you're doing this photography business right as far as personality and prescence. #13 In my opinion is your strongest one. She is glowing, plenty of balanced light. She looks happy and the colour and exposure look right. She's covered but still showing belly and that bright smile. SHe looks wonderful.
    #7 may not be techinically sound but it looks candid and such an intimate moment that as I girl I shout "AWWWW."
    #9 is very sweet, but I wish it were turned more towards me in a semi profile.
    #10 is a great moment. It looks like they are discussing the future and she's absentmindedly brushing his hair off his forehead. Touching and the focus o nthe baby shirt is great. Their position is very good too. They complete each other.
    Keep your chin up! We're all still learning! Thank you for sharing with us!
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2008
    Frog Lady wrote:
    nice job, ladytx! I think you definately captured the love shared between these two and the apparent joy about the upcoming arrival. While I like them all, I think #4 and 11 are my fav's.

C.

PS - next time though, while these aren't too bad, see if you can get the mom to be in something other than stretch top jeans...

Thank you Colleen. I think I like the jeans better than the black shorts with white stripes on them ... lol ... but thats what they had.
    LadyTX
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2008
    Some things to keep in the back of your mind for future shoots.
    1. It looks like you were to close to your subjects. In two of your shots the woman's legs look larger than they should. Her right hand looks much bigger than her left hand. (This from looking at her legs in standing positions.)

I do see what you are talking about here. I was close. There was no room in there and I was shooting from the doorway and hallway. I will keep that in mind next time.

2. Work on your posing. Google "Maternity shots." Then download some poses for your shot book and pose accordingly.

I will do some searching and downloading for poses.

3. Work on post processing and skin color.

I now have a dslr, not a p&s, and strobes. I also know now to set a white balance. Hopefully my out-of-camera will be much better and won't require much post processing. That is my goal anyway. A right-on image from the camera.

4. Even though we all do this, all shots that don't work in color can't be made black and whites. If you've blown the highlights, your pictures won't look good in color or black and white. Kneeling black and white...girls face has a big white blown out spot on it.

Yeppers, I agree.

5. 13 is my favorite and I like 9 and 11.

Thank you. And thanks for taking the time to look and also to give constructive critique and encouragement.

Keep shooting.
    LadyTX
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2008
    I try to wait for a couple of comments before I give it a go.
    Hi there! Bear in mind I've never done a maternity shoot but I've given it a lot of thought and I want to do as many as possible.

I suspect you don't have a tripod [neither do I] and so pressing the shutter can cause tremendous shake like in #1 #2 and #13.

I have a tripod but not with me then. I really don't like them as they are very restrictive. Hopefully I can get steady enough without one.

There's blue light, were you operating with a blue gel? The light also appears to be eye level or head level. It's best to put the lights above and below with some diffusion like umbrellas or relflectors bouncing it in. I think that's where the blow outs came from #1 in the hair and #12 on his back and shoulders.

No gel. The blue you see I'm sure comes from processing. We just had a continuous light and the p&s was automatically choosing the white balance. The pictures were very yellow.

The poses can appear/seem racy/sexual. When I think "parents to be" I don't think sex, I think baby! #2, 3 ,8 and 12 make me think they're about to rough around right in front of you.
    Think about context. Would I think these things if he was wearing, say: an almost buttoned up white shirt and jeans and she was in a long, flowing white gown or top and skirt? It might be all the skin and the way they are touching. Like in #2 if he was looking into her eyes with his hand on her cheek and the other on her belly I wouldn't think sex I'd think Daddy loves them. It sorta looks like he's kissing her boob.

This shoot was rather impromptu(?). Like, Mom, can you get some pictures of us before the baby gets here? And can you do it today before we have to leave for a birthday party? ... lol They did have some poses they wanted in mind. I wanted the sonogram picture and the picture of them in the background with the baby outfit in the foreground. My hopes were to re-shoot that picture with the baby in that outfit in the foreground when he got here but, alas, that didn't happen.

It's exciting to try to capture the joy, the love, and the tenderness while letting them play and look sexy, but in the right way. You can do a lot with a pretty coloured sheet or some glossy chiffon. She could have the cloth wrapped around her like a ribbon or draped over her on a really soft pile of pillows.

Sounds like some very pretty ideas.

Please understand these are critiques and I hope I didn't sound too harsh.

Thanks for taking the time to offer some constructive critique.

Now the good stuff! YAY!:ivar
    Wonderful use of the baby clothes and the ultrasound picture, divine! That's a spectacular idea!

Thanks.

You had a really playful couple and they were very realxed with you so you're doing this photography business right as far as personality and prescence.

That's my son and daughter-in-law. And that's my beloved Kaleb in that belly. Relationship has to do with their relaxation. Can't take credit for "doing this photography business right" ... lol

#13 In my opinion is your strongest one. She is glowing, plenty of balanced light. She looks happy and the colour and exposure look right. She's covered but still showing belly and that bright smile. SHe looks wonderful.

I like that one too.

#7 may not be techinically sound but it looks candid and such an intimate moment that as I girl I shout "AWWWW."

That's one that my son particularly wanted.

#9 is very sweet, but I wish it were turned more towards me in a semi profile.

Yes, I see how that would be better.

#10 is a great moment. It looks like they are discussing the future and she's absentmindedly brushing his hair off his forehead. Touching and the focus o nthe baby shirt is great. Their position is very good too. They complete each other.

Sigh, if only we could have put Kaleb in that outfit when he got here and re-shot it. Oh well.

Keep your chin up! We're all still learning! Thank you for sharing with us

Thanks for your time and sharing your knowledge. We had a lot of fun doing this. They now have photos to remember by and the price was right ... free ... lol.

Blessings,
    LadyTX
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    I think it's a nice set and you can tell they love eachother and you captured that. You did the right thing IMO. Congrats! My biggest issue is the sheets and the blue hue in a couple.

I never heard the name Caleb or Kaleb before my brother had his son a year ago. Now I've heard at least 30 kids with that name. ne_nau.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    I think it's a nice set and you can tell they love each other and you captured that. You did the right thing IMO. Congrats!

Thank you. They got what they wanted and were happy with the pictures. They had a bound book made of them. We had fun and laughs together so we have memories of the pregnancy and memories of our time together taking the pictures. An all-around good thing for us!

Critique is good for me as it helps me in technique and to see others' opinions, likes and dislikes, etc. which helps me to be well rounded in my photos.

My biggest issue is the sheets and the blue hue in a couple.

I agree.

I never heard the name Caleb or Kaleb before my brother had his son a year ago. Now I've heard at least 30 kids with that name.ne_nau.gif

I hadn't heard of a Kaleb before my son picked that either but I like it. When I named my son Jason I hadn't heard very many kids named that. Then when he went to kindergarten there was lots of Jasons his age.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. Appreciated.

Blessings,
    LadyTX
  • Options
    withdrewwithdrew Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 3, 2008
    #13 is awesome
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2008
    withdrew wrote:
    #13 is awesome

Thank you very much Withdrew.