Options

Miss Jamie

goofrygoofry Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
edited July 3, 2008 in People
I was asked to get some images for a young lady that needed to update her comp card. She has done some modeling in the past and it was refreshing to work with her.

#1 Just a head and shoulders shot. I went for more of the "hot" lighting look that I keep seeing in all the magazines.
310951156_EFJdK-M.jpg

#2 Another head and shoulder shot after a wardrobe change.
310951161_vZbs2-M.jpg

310951181_iHSKv-M.jpg

#4 Trying a little something different (playing with plexiglass)
310386094_J3pJm-M.jpg

310386241_zK5Ld-M.jpg

310386281_5JZ73-M.jpg

310386314_UPqep-M.jpg

310386377_6yt5W-M.jpg

And a few swimsuit shots.

310386210_JkvfD-M.jpg

310386234_fdJfm-M.jpg

310386179_WKkgr-M.jpg

310386134_3SLGK-M.jpg

Thanks for looking. C and C are welcome.
Goofry

http://www.spotlightpicture.com

A bunch of Canon Stuff.

Comments

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    1. I like this shot a lot. I am ok with it being hot and a little orange. Just comes across as very natural. The chopped off hand is the only real detractor for me. thumb.gif

2. This ones seems a little forced. Not as natural as the 1st. Her teeth are a little too white or skin a little too red (or both).

3. Nice shot- a little too orange again and the light areas of her hose needs to be darkened.

4. Probably mr favorite with the only issues being hands chopped off and light is hot on the hands. It would have been cool to see her face reflection too.

5. Don't like this one much at all. ne_nau.gif

6. Cute- fun- playful. I like it. thumb.gif

7. Boots and barrel are great. Her skin is a bit red and there are some harsh lines of different light temps.

8. I like this one too. thumb.gif Though it seems more senior portrait than model shot.

9. Very nice. I instantly got excited about the car too. :D

10. Awesome!! thumb.gif

11. Not feeling this one too much. I think it is because there is too much of the car and her that is missing. I think more of the car in either direction would have helped.

12. Same as above plus is overexposed- her and the grass.

Okay- so I have to ask is that your car?? It is a beauty!! rolleyes1.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    1. I like this shot a lot. I am ok with it being hot and a little orange. Just comes across as very natural. The chopped off hand is the only real detractor for me. thumb.gif
    I think the "hot" and orange part comes from the reflector I was using. I have to work on seeing the cut of hands.

anwmn1 wrote:
    2. This ones seems a little forced. Not as natural as the 1st. Her teeth are a little too white or skin a little too red (or both).
    I think it's the skin tone. I didn't do any PP on her teeth. Either that, or she really does have really white teeth. :D
    anwmn1 wrote:
    3. Nice shot- a little too orange again and the light areas of her hose needs to be darkened.
    I actually used my expo disk to set white balance before the shoot (and during). I'm not really sure about the color cast other than the reflector. I was using the gold side and the expo disk can't acount for this.
    anwmn1 wrote:
    4. Probably mr favorite with the only issues being hands chopped off and light is hot on the hands. It would have been cool to see her face reflection too.
    I didn't have a big enough piece of plexi to get the shot I wanted. I was looking to get the face in the reflection too. I actually wanted to only see her eyes in the reflection, but it just wasn't working for me so we moved on. Hands again, note to self!
    anwmn1 wrote:
    5. Don't like this one much at all. ne_nau.gif
    Can't win em all. ne_nau.gif
    anwmn1 wrote:
    6. Cute- fun- playful. I like it. thumb.gif
    Thanks.

anwmn1 wrote:
    7. Boots and barrel are great. Her skin is a bit red and there are some harsh lines of different light temps.
    I'm not sure about the different light temps. No reflector used, both strobes are the same type. I'll have to look at my setup again. I may use my Eye1 to measure the color temp coming off the strobe to see what I'm really getting.
    anwmn1 wrote:
    8. I like this one too. thumb.gif Though it seems more senior portrait than model shot.
    Your probably right on the senior port feel.
    anwmn1 wrote:
    9. Very nice. I instantly got excited about the car too. :D
    Thanks, It's actually one of my favs. She has a nice expression and look in this one.
    anwmn1 wrote:
    10. Awesome!! thumb.gif
    Thanks, again. I added the white shirt to make this look a little more suggestive without showing anything.
    anwmn1 wrote:
    11. Not feeling this one too much. I think it is because there is too much of the car and her that is missing. I think more of the car in either direction would have helped.
    I've got several others of this shot including a full length version of her. Try this one:
    310386154_8ye39-M.jpg
    anwmn1 wrote:
    12. Same as above plus is overexposed- her and the grass.
    This was actually the first shot I got when we went outside. I think the darkness of the trees in the background messed with my exposure. Not a good excuse, as I should have caught it.

anwmn1 wrote:
    Okay- so I have to ask is that your car?? It is a beauty!! rolleyes1.gif

Yeah, that's my ride. Unfortunately, it spends more time in the garage than on the road. My son loves it, so he makes me drag it more these days. It's a fun car to drive, but my back can only take it for so long.

Thanks for all the comments and critiques. I appreciate the help. I've got a few areas to work on, especially with the studio and strobes.
    Goofry

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    I hear you. I am new to the strobes too. Just giving feedback on what I see with my eyes- no technical help though.

Very nice car btw.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    goofry wrote:
    I think the "hot" and orange part comes from the reflector I was using. I have to work on seeing the cut of hands.

I think it's the skin tone. I didn't do any PP on her teeth. Either that, or she really does have really white teeth. :D

I actually used my expo disk to set white balance before the shoot (and during). I'm not really sure about the color cast other than the reflector. I was using the gold side and the expo disk can't acount for this.

I didn't have a big enough piece of plexi to get the shot I wanted. I was looking to get the face in the reflection too. I actually wanted to only see her eyes in the reflection, but it just wasn't working for me so we moved on. Hands again, note to self!

Can't win em all. ne_nau.gif

Thanks.

I'm not sure about the different light temps. No reflector used, both strobes are the same type. I'll have to look at my setup again. I may use my Eye1 to measure the color temp coming off the strobe to see what I'm really getting.

Your probably right on the senior port feel.

Thanks, It's actually one of my favs. She has a nice expression and look in this one.

Thanks, again. I added the white shirt to make this look a little more suggestive without showing anything.

I've got several others of this shot including a full length version of her. Try this one:
    310386154_8ye39-M.jpg

This was actually the first shot I got when we went outside. I think the darkness of the trees in the background messed with my exposure. Not a good excuse, as I should have caught it.

Yeah, that's my ride. Unfortunately, it spends more time in the garage than on the road. My son loves it, so he makes me drag it more these days. It's a fun car to drive, but my back can only take it for so long.

Thanks for all the comments and critiques. I appreciate the help. I've got a few areas to work on, especially with the studio and strobes.

Well, in the interest of your health--I'd like to offer to take those wheels off your hands. What can I say, I just care about my fellow man that much!
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    erson83 wrote:
    Well, in the interest of your health--I'd like to offer to take those wheels off your hands. What can I say, I just care about my fellow man that much!

I appreciate the offer, but the kid knows this will be his. He just has to wait until he's about 30 to get it. Or at least when he can exhibit a large amout of self control!!! He only has 25 more years to go.

It's no rocket, but at 355 horses, it can get away from you pretty quick.

We (the model and I) changed plans for the evening so that she could do some shot with/in the car. Overall, I was pretty pleased with the results once I got the exposure a little closer.
    Goofry

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • Options
    erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    goofry wrote:
    I appreciate the offer, but the kid knows this will be his. He just has to wait until he's about 30 to get it. Or at least when he can exhibit a large amout of self control!!! He only has 25 more years to go.

It's no rocket, but at 355 horses, it can get away from you pretty quick.

We (the model and I) changed plans for the evening so that she could do some shot with/in the car. Overall, I was pretty pleased with the results once I got the exposure a little closer.

Well damn, it was worth a shot. REally like the shots of her in the car. Shows creativity. I always find that most of the idea's I would like to try with a model go out the window when I get on the shoot. Should prob. start writing them down.

As an afterthought, I'm 5 years away from that magic number of 30...Though my wife would argue about the whole self control thing!
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    The first couple of shots with the posed hands... not my thing.

Little more style as you get into the shoot.

You pick up the energy with the final shots. The concept is there but you need to work a bit more with your model to pick up the energy. :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    The first couple of shots with the posed hands... not my thing.

Little more style as you get into the shoot.

You pick up the energy with the final shots. The concept is there but you need to work a bit more with your model to pick up the energy. :D

Thanks for the comments. She certainly got more comfortable towards the end of the shoot. We are supposed to work together again soon, so I think she will pick it up quicker, and me too for that matter.
    Goofry

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    not too much to add from what anwmn1 said,
    #4, the wrinkles and her head being chopped off in the reflection are things to work on for next time. #12 I would like a lot more if the exposure was a little different.
    I like the new full length version you added.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Nice series! Looks like Ms. Jamie goona be very happy!
    Now to the nitty-gritty:-)
    1. thumb.gif
      Nice pose/expression!
      :cry
      too orange; some areas are overexposed; shot dead centered; bg is blah; her left hand is chopped; crop is too close to her head on top.
    2. thumb.gif
      Nice pose/expression!
      pretty much everything from #1, except chopped hand
    3. thumb.gif
      Nice pose, I like composition, centered is good here
      Same orange skin (yes, I know it's a reflector, but that's why we shoot raw and correct WB in post if we make a mistake); bg is blah again
    4. thumb.gif
      Good facial expression; Nice use of plexiglass; I see you added a rimlight;
      Skin looks overexposed; model looks uncomfortable; pose is not flattering
    5. thumb.gif
      Facial expression and head tilt are nice
      Way too bright! Light is way flat
    6. thumb.gif
      Nice pose/expression
      orange skin, blah bg
    7. see #6
    8. see #7 :-)
    9. thumb.gif
      Good DOF
      She looks plain tired; bottom part (car door) is a dead weight
    10. thumb.gif
      Much better
      A bit of rim lighting would be nice; her left-hand sleeve is chopped off; skin still orange
    11. thumb.gif
      Great pose
      Image looks unbalanced compositionally - too much space wasted on the non-importnat stuff in the bottom left corner; light is too flat on the skin (remember the mantra: "the most imoprtant part of the image should have the most contrast"? mwink.gif )
    12. thumb.gif
      I like the expession of the pose
      Dead centered; body overexposed; full-frontal view is usually the least flattering for female subjects; pose is all straight/angled, which is typical/recommended for males, rather than twisted/curved, which is far more suitable for female models.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    not too much to add from what anwmn1 said,
    #4, the wrinkles and her head being chopped off in the reflection are things to work on for next time. #12 I would like a lot more if the exposure was a little different.
    I like the new full length version you added.

I think I got a few good shot with the vette, but it was a last minute decision to pull it out and shoot with it. I wasn't really prepared or expecting to do it. Not a good excuse, but that's the way it falls sometimes. I would have liked for some better exposure on these myself. I appreciate the comments as I am certainly learning more things to look at / watch for.

Thanks for the comments.
    Goofry

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice series! Looks like Ms. Jamie goona be very happy!
    Now to the nitty-gritty:-)
    1. thumb.gif
      Nice pose/expression!
      too orange; some areas are overexposed; shot dead centered; bg is blah; her left hand is chopped; crop is too close to her head on top.
    2. thumb.gif
      Nice pose/expression!
      pretty much everything from #1, except chopped hand
    3. thumb.gif
      Nice pose, I like composition, centered is good here
      Same orange skin (yes, I know it's a reflector, but that's why we shoot raw and correct WB in post if we make a mistake); bg is blah again
    4. thumb.gif
      Good facial expression; Nice use of plexiglass; I see you added a rimlight;
      Skin looks overexposed; model looks uncomfortable; pose is not flattering
    5. thumb.gif
      Facial expression and head tilt are nice
      Way too bright! Light is way flat
    6. thumb.gif
      Nice pose/expression
      orange skin, blah bg
    7. see #6
    8. see #7 :-)
    9. thumb.gif
      Good DOF
      She looks plain tired; bottom part (car door) is a dead weight
    10. thumb.gif
      Much better
      A bit of rim lighting would be nice; her left-hand sleeve is chopped off; skin still orange
    11. thumb.gif
      Great pose
      Image looks unbalanced compositionally - too much space wasted on the non-importnat stuff in the bottom left corner; light is too flat on the skin (remember the mantra: "the most imoprtant part of the image should have the most contrast"? mwink.gif )
    12. thumb.gif
      I like the expession of the pose
      Dead centered; body overexposed; full-frontal view is usually the least flattering for female subjects; pose is all straight/angled, which is typical/recommended for males, rather than twisted/curved, which is far more suitable for female models.
    HTH

Thanks for the critique on each image. I can go back and look at each and see the good and the bad.

All of the comments from everybody is why I posted these here. I don't always see the problems with some of the images until they get pointed out and then they seem so glarring, I can't believe I didn't see it before.

I look forward to my next session so I can correct some of my mistakes and hopefully post some improved images.

Thanks,
    Goofry

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • Options
    1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    My fav is #9 with the colorful "thirds" and nice sweep of the car doors sandwiching your model.
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com