Options

how to get list of photo URL's

muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited April 4, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I used to be able to view-source of the slideshow style to conveniently extract a list of my photo's smugmug url's matched with my file names or captions (the same info I can get one-at-a-time via the "share-with-friends" link), to use on my own uniquely styled page - such as an image-map - on my other web site, linking to my photo's stored on Smugmug.

But I think with the new slideshow implementation I am no longer able to do this. Is there another, perhaps more straightforward, way for me to get such a list of image url's matched with my file names for an entire gallery?

Really just the smugmug "photo number" matched to my file name is what I'm after.

Gary

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2005
    muddyknees wrote:
    Really just the smugmug "photo number" matched to my file name is what I'm after.
    1st of all you could use the "all thumbs"-view for a gallery with no captions and filenames turned on in the gallery options. That would give you a page with all image-ids, the filenames and a lot of html garbage.

2nd you could try Smugmug Exporter (there is also a thread in the API/Hack-forum). I used it once and it worked great. If you're afraid of giving your password away - don't be, because you can simply change it after using this great service.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    Hmm... something on my end - my Internet exploror is not giving me source for anything - used to open in notepad... maybe has to do with the spyware program I recently installed. Pain!

I recently tried Smugmug Explorer but didn't see that it would download lists of photo-id's etc. - that's actually what I wanted to try it for - where is that feature?

Gary

1st of all you could use the "all thumbs"-view for a gallery with no captions and filenames turned on in the gallery options. That would give you a page with all image-ids, the filenames and a lot of html garbage.

2nd you could try Smugmug Exporter (there is also a thread in the API/Hack-forum). I used it once and it worked great. If you're afraid of giving your password away - don't be, because you can simply change it after using this great service.

Sebastian
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2005
    This will be a feature of SE
    .. relatively soon.. April, I hope..
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    OH - EXPORTER not explorer - OK!! I'll have to try it!! Thanks

Gary

muddyknees wrote:
    Hmm... something on my end - my Internet exploror is not giving me source for anything - used to open in notepad... maybe has to do with the spyware program I recently installed. Pain!

I recently tried Smugmug Explorer but didn't see that it would download lists of photo-id's etc. - that's actually what I wanted to try it for - where is that feature?

Gary
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    It's not there yet
    muddyknees wrote:

Gary
    Officially, that is.. I kinda verified the proof of concept, but it's not ready yet.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    muddyknees wrote:

Not even when going through the menu (view - source)?

Please have another closer look at my former post...I didn't wrote Smugmug Explorer, but Smugmug Exporter. It's another tool by a fellow smugmugger, which is web-based...so no download/installation needed. mwink.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    .. relatively soon.. April, I hope..
    Say, Nik,

It would be cool to save those smugmug photo ID's matched to file names as a file "confirming" a successful upload session. You're not doiung that sort of thing already?

Gary
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Officially, that is.. I kinda verified the proof of concept, but it's not ready yet.
    Great news! clap.gif
    But concerning Gary's post...I did not refer to your SE, but the Smugmug Exporter and Gary mixed this up and now he's on the right path I guess. Honestly, I had the same problem when the Exporter turned up. rolleyes1.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    Yeah, I was trying the IE menu: view - source.

Re: that Exporter - do you happen to know whether it works with private galleries? If so, then maybe I need to be concerned with the password issue...
    It sounds like just what I need though.

Gary

Please have another closer look at my former post...I didn't wrote Smugmug Explorer, but Smugmug Exporter. It's another tool by a fellow smugmugger, which is web-based...so no download/installation needed. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    I know:-)
    Great news! clap.gif
    But concerning Gary's post...I did not refer to your SE, but the Smugmug Exporter and Gary mixed this up and now he's on the right path I guess. Honestly, I had the same problem when the Exporter turned up. rolleyes1.gif

Sebastian
    But *my* SE is gonna have it anyway. I just want to do it right, so I don't have to come back for it. Technically speaking, with the cache in place I can do it tonight, but, as always, there are other things - which you would like, I swears :-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    It's in the *nearest* plans..
    muddyknees wrote:
    Say, Nik,

It would be cool to save those smugmug photo ID's matched to file names as a file "confirming" a successful upload session. You're not doiung that sort of thing already?

Gary
    Gary,

Persistent upload (so in case your power goes out, you restart it next day, launch SE - and the rest of your queue is there:-) would definitely have this feature. Coming soon to a PC near you:-)

HTH

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    re: IE View Source: Just on this computer - relatively new laptop - not sure maybe I don't have an editor registered for explorer to use? (IE opens EditPlus on my other machine) I assumed it would just open notepad here.

re: Exporter: Tried the login screen on Exporter - looks trustworthy - https ... I'll probably try it in a bit. Thanks for the lead, Sebastian.

Gerhard

• Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    Smugmug Hacks doesn't list Exporter at http://www.smugmug.com/hack/hacks-apps
    I guess its not an application or a script, so if falls through the cracks there?

Gary

• Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2005
    Gary-

I got your email but I'll answer it here in case others have the same question.

Regarding gallery passwords and Smugmug Exporter... no, they are not encrypted with SSL. But they are not encrypted by Smugmug either, which is why I chose not to worry about it. I think this is one of those times when you really have to ask whether it's an issue.

I've asked for Smugmug Exporter to be listed on the "official" list of apps, hacks, etc. but I guess Don hasn't gotten around to it, or doesn't want to list it. In the long run it doesn't matter that much to me... I just needed the functionality and figured if I went to the trouble to build it I would share it with others that found it useful. As you can see from the site, I'm not demanding anything in return.

My real hope is that eventually Nik's Smugmug Explorer will give me the same functionality and then perhaps I will shut my web app down, or maybe just leave it if people want it and the demand isn't too high.

Paul
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    Paul,
    My real hope is that eventually Nik's Smugmug Explorer will give me the same functionality and then perhaps I will shut my web app down, or maybe just leave it if people want it and the demand isn't too high.

Paul
    For the record - I do *not* want you to shut your site down, even though I'm defintely going to bring this functionality into SE in amonth or two..

Healthy competition is good for everybody:-)thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    For the record - I do *not* want you to shut your site down, even though I'm defintely going to bring this functionality into SE in amonth or two..

Healthy competition is good for everybody:-)thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    But... but... I don't want to compete! I just want to be able to export my stuff! 1drink.gif Though I do appreciate the sentiment.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    Thanks, Paul. I just tried your app and wow! It sure makes things easier for me - the html thumbnails file I can just use without modification in a fixed-width scrolling frame!

I also noticed that the csv files include a column for the gallery passwords. It would be cool maybe to have an option to not download that info - maybe have an option to either not download that info or only download that info. That way I could control the info better. (Maybe if Nik is listening he could implement that - Hi Nik.)

I guess to make the private or password protected galleries really secure the whole browsing session would need to be secured, not to mention the computer I'm using. (I know of someone who recently had his hard-drive "mysteriously disappear" after sending a nasty email to the USDA!) So I guess I'll just stop worrying.

So far I've used private galleries extensively but not passwords. So, I guess I have the curtains drawn but no bars on the windows.

Gary

Gary-

I got your email but I'll answer it here in case others have the same question.

Regarding gallery passwords and Smugmug Exporter... no, they are not encrypted with SSL. But they are not encrypted by Smugmug either, which is why I chose not to worry about it. I think this is one of those times when you really have to ask whether it's an issue.

I've asked for Smugmug Exporter to be listed on the "official" list of apps, hacks, etc. but I guess Don hasn't gotten around to it, or doesn't want to list it. In the long run it doesn't matter that much to me... I just needed the functionality and figured if I went to the trouble to build it I would share it with others that found it useful. As you can see from the site, I'm not demanding anything in return.

Paul
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    That sounds cool! So could I a week llater when I get around to it find the file that maps smugmug's photoID to my file name, caption, etc. so I could easily create an HTML file for my other site linking to my thumbs and photo's on smugmug? Or add that info to my local photo database?

Thanks,

Gary

Nikolai wrote:
    Gary,

Persistent upload (so in case your power goes out, you restart it next day, launch SE - and the rest of your queue is there:-) would definitely have this feature. Coming soon to a PC near you:-)

HTH

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    Basically, "yes" :-)
    muddyknees wrote:
    That sounds cool! So could I a week llater when I get around to it find the file that maps smugmug's photoID to my file name, caption, etc. so I could easily create an HTML file for my other site linking to my thumbs and photo's on smugmug? Or add that info to my local photo database?

Thanks,

Gary
    Your upload history (not the old one, of course, I can't go back in time) will be in a local JET (aka MS Access) .mdb database which you'll be able to access at will:-)

HTH

Nik
  • Options
    footballerfootballer Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 24, 2005
    muddyknees -

That view source problem you are experiencing is a bug in IE. Try deleting your temporary internet files. That should fix the problem.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2005
    Yes, that fixed the problem. My EI was allocated an incredibly large amount of space for those files! I'll have to keep an eye on it next time MS comes up with one of their EI "security fixes". (We must have googled to the same site with info on the problem?) Thanks for your taking time to help.

Gary
    footballer wrote:
    muddyknees -

That view source problem you are experiencing is a bug in IE. Try deleting your temporary internet files. That should fix the problem.
  • Options
    Doug Munn - JLM PHOTODoug Munn - JLM PHOTO Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    I like * Explorer
    Just downloaded it.

Nice.
    From drivng race cars to riding race horses, it's hard to keep the woman down.