Options

New hard drive

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited July 6, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I am getting a new 500 gig hd for my laptop on monday. is there a quick and easy way to copy everything--operating system etc from old hard drive to new one. I have an HD enclosure so I can connect the new one while working from the old. I just need to get all hidden files, system files, etc. I'd like to be able to pop the new one in and everything looks like the old one except I have 250 gig of hd space I didn't have before. Rather not spend a day installing programs.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I am getting a new 500 gig hd for my laptop on monday. is there a quick and easy way to copy everything--operating system etc from old hard drive to new one. I have an HD enclosure so I can connect the new one while working from the old. I just need to get all hidden files, system files, etc. I'd like to be able to pop the new one in and everything looks like the old one except I have 250 gig of hd space I didn't have before. Rather not spend a day installing programs.

Go HERE and buy or use the trial version of MIGRATE EASY7.0 it is fast and it migrates every file......I mean every friggin hidden file and everything else......
    it is my understanding tho that Acronis will not be upggrading this software any more.....I have been using it now for almost 2 yrs and have owned it for almost 1 yr.......I have tried using other software and everything I tried left essential files behind and a lot of my loaded software would not work especially sotware from microsoft and adobe.........with ACRONIC MIGRATE EASY 7.0 everything works just fine.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Please post an update after you migrate your folders. Outside of the *nix world, I've never heard of any bulletproof solution to do this.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Please post an update after you migrate your folders. Outside of the *nix world, I've never heard of any bulletproof solution to do this.

Yeah, I did it once before with the software that came with the drive--with limited success. Several of the programs just didn't work quite right and I had to reinstall them.

what is *nix world?
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Yeah, I did it once before with the software that came with the drive--with limited success. Several of the programs just didn't work quite right and I had to reinstall them.

what is *nix world?
    Sorry.
    Different variations of Unix and Linux. This is where you have total command over your OS. But the leaning curve can be pretty steep depending on which version you use.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

I keep 3 migrated copies of my "C" drive at all times......the one that is attached by usb in an external box is swapped approx every other month with one in a safe.....the oldest of the 3 is the "C" drive....I migrate from "C" to "K" every time I do a software upload or upgrade or update....at the very least once a week....and it swaps with the drive in the safe approx every other month.............I do a quick run thru before the swap to make sure all files are there and every software works (I have a very old tired dell that was given to me and it barely has enuff ram to open PSCS but it works).....if everything works without errors the swap is completed........so one weekend ever other month or so I do nothing but check all hdd's to make usre all back ups are still working...............
    If I have not made any changes to my main "C" drive...then I do not have to worry about it.....so tomorrow i will wipe and do my current back up in the usb box because of FF3 anyd some other updates that came thru this week/end........I do not worry about MS updates...they will update automatically when a new HDD is popped in and booted.........

I started doing this because I purchase tons of software downloads and was keeping all my receipts on my HDD after 2 HDD failures I started doing the migration and also stated keeping the downloads in a folder(S) with my photos.......so I have atotal of 2 working drives and 4 back ups.......

I had tried using Norton/symantec GHOST (and other software recommended by some IT friends and found out they were trying to validate their findings, the softwares did not work as stated by the mfg'ers)......and nothing from MS office would even open....tons of missing files...same with PS5,6/7 (this was before PSCS).......none of my cd buring software would burn....it opened and allowed the files to be put when needed for burning but would not burn......before trying Acronis Migrate Easy 5 (first version I tried), I emailed and asked lots of questions and had screen shots (taken with film camera at that time) scanned and sent to them to show the errors each program gave.......the reply was satisfactory...... I huge trial offer (it lasted me almost 3 yrs....then I bought it...............Acronis Migrate Easy has never failed me ...........................................................yet.............iloveyou.gif

I don't recommend something unless I have used it for quite some time......but that is just me

My most costly loss was my copy of SONY'S SOUNDFORGE with ARCHITECT....this is probably the best recording software (for PC) available.......I purchased as a download from Sony and lost my receipt on a crashed hdd.............all I had was a cc receipt that staed I had bought something from sony that was very expensive......it did not state it was SF/Architect......so I was screwed...........................never replaced it........yet...................................looking at adobe audition to replce SF as it is waaaaay less expensive.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    I keep 3 migrated copies of my "C" drive at all times......the one that is attached by usb in an external box is swapped approx every other month with one in a safe.....the oldest of the 3 is the "C" drive....I migrate from "C" to "K" every time I do a software upload or upgrade or update....at the very least once a week....and it swaps with the drive in the safe approx every other month.............I do a quick run thru before the swap to make sure all files are there and every software works (I have a very old tired dell that was given to me and it barely has enuff ram to open PSCS but it works).....if everything works without errors the swap is completed........so one weekend ever other month or so I do nothing but check all hdd's to make usre all back ups are still working...............
    If I have not made any changes to my main "C" drive...then I do not have to worry about it.....so tomorrow i will wipe and do my current back up in the usb box because of FF3 anyd some other updates that came thru this week/end........I do not worry about MS updates...they will update automatically when a new HDD is popped in and booted.........

I started doing this because I purchase tons of software downloads and was keeping all my receipts on my HDD after 2 HDD failures I started doing the migration and also stated keeping the downloads in a folder(S) with my photos.......so I have atotal of 2 working drives and 4 back ups.......

I had tried using Norton/symantec GHOST (and other software recommended by some IT friends and found out they were trying to validate their findings, the softwares did not work as stated by the mfg'ers)......and nothing from MS office would even open....tons of missing files...same with PS5,6/7 (this was before PSCS).......none of my cd buring software would burn....it opened and allowed the files to be put when needed for burning but would not burn......before trying Acronis Migrate Easy 5 (first version I tried), I emailed and asked lots of questions and had screen shots (taken with film camera at that time) scanned and sent to them to show the errors each program gave.......the reply was satisfactory...... I huge trial offer (it lasted me almost 3 yrs....then I bought it...............Acronis Migrate Easy has never failed me ...........................................................yet.............iloveyou.gif

I don't recommend something unless I have used it for quite some time......but that is just me

My most costly loss was my copy of SONY'S SOUNDFORGE with ARCHITECT....this is probably the best recording software (for PC) available.......I purchased as a download from Sony and lost my receipt on a crashed hdd.............all I had was a cc receipt that staed I had bought something from sony that was very expensive......it did not state it was SF/Architect......so I was screwed...........................never replaced it........yet...................................looking at adobe audition to replce SF as it is waaaaay less expensive.

wow. nice to meet someone more paranoid about backups than me.
  • Options
    sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    looking at adobe audition to replce SF

Haven't used Soundforge but Audition rocks. I record a fair amount and do all post production on it - also using Izotope Ozone mastering plugin. Audition is just like Photoshop for music: Layers, levels, sharpening, noise reduction - the analogous operations are all there!

Peace,
    Sanaka
    WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
    Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
  • Options
    mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I just read this article from David Cardinal today, and then up pops this question. Hopefully it helps you out:

http://www.nikondigital.org/dps/dps-v-6-06.htm

Mike.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    wow. nice to meet someone more paranoid about backups than me.

Only after loosing ALL MY FILES 3 different times......now I do not mind the extra drives in storage......HDD's and SHarpies are cheap.............very cheap

• Options
    Howard BarlowHoward Barlow Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Art,

I got the dreaded S.M.A.R.T. message on my C drive. It's 320 WD SATA, less than 2 y.o., running XP Pro. I am replacing it with a 500g. If I migrate the files, such as you suggested above, will the problem likely/possibly go with it?

Howard
    You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Wouldn't this be a good time to benefit from a clean install of the OS? I assume a migration program would also migrate viruses, spyware, etc...ne_nau.gif
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Paranoia about bak ups are well founded.

I lost a lot of data when my HD got corrupted a couple of weeks ago.

What really sucks is i was in process of backing up.

Everything prior to the second week of June was safely on my ext HD... but I lost some very important originals. And it hurts.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    Van Isle wrote:
    Wouldn't this be a good time to benefit from a clean install of the OS? I assume a migration program would also migrate viruses, spyware, etc...ne_nau.gif

That's what worries me, Van. Seems like it would, unless I have a mechanical problem. Any way to determine which? Of course, there are a lot of non-program files on there, that would have to be moved, too.

After I do whatever I do, is it possible formatting the drive would 'repair' it, and get rid of S.M.A.R.T.?
    You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    Van Isle wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif 100%
    There is no 100% fool proof anti-virus/spyware blocker out there.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    But, could this be mechanical, not that I could identify it. I will send it back, as it has a 5 year warranty.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    Art,

I got the dreaded S.M.A.R.T. message on my C drive. It's 320 WD SATA, less than 2 y.o., running XP Pro. I am replacing it with a 500g. If I migrate the files, such as you suggested above, will the problem likely/possibly go with it?

Howard

As noted above.....of migrate a hdd it migrates everyting......including the viruses and mispelled words..................everything.....and Mr S.Y.R. is very correct....there is no perfect anti virus or spyware blocker.......

Before sending back to WD you might wantto have it checked and if it is mechanical then migrate and reformat before sending back.

• Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    Thanks, Art. I'm going to do a clean install on the new drive. The other is still under warranty, so it's going back to WD.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Go HERE and buy or use the trial version of MIGRATE EASY7.0 it is fast and it migrates every file......I mean every friggin hidden file and everything else......
    it is my understanding tho that Acronis will not be upggrading this software any more.....I have been using it now for almost 2 yrs and have owned it for almost 1 yr.......I have tried using other software and everything I tried left essential files behind and a lot of my loaded software would not work especially sotware from microsoft and adobe.........with ACRONIC MIGRATE EASY 7.0 everything works just fine.............

update: I used Migrate easy and it worked like a champ! All programs seem to be running fine.

Thanks, ART!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    But, could this be mechanical, not that I could identify it. I will send it back, as it has a 5 year warranty.

You are right, SMART is a mechanical warning. It has nothing to do with viruses or malware. "The S.M.A.R.T. system monitors such important hard disk issues as faulty data sectors, CRC errors, drive spin time, drive head position and movement, drive spin time and speed, disk performance and temperature and other specific internal drive characteristics."

Not having both hardrives, new and old, will make reinstallation a challenge. good luck
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    Thanks, folks. Someone else told me it was a mechanical warning, as well. Hopefully, the warranty will replace it.

Josh, glad to hear it. I may try it, too. Yeah, still dragging my feet.

Whoops, I lied. It's not a WD, but Seagate.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    I just read this article from David Cardinal today, and then up pops this question. Hopefully it helps you out:

http://www.nikondigital.org/dps/dps-v-6-06.htm

Mike.

This article suggests you set up the new C particition to be the exact same size as the old one, so activated software won't think it is on a new machine. this did not seem to be necessary in my case. I formated the whole thing as C (except the hidden system restore partition) and all programs seem to working fine.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    update: I used Migrate easy and it worked like a champ! All programs seem to be running fine.

Thanks, ART!

FANTASTIC.......as i said earlier....with low cost of hdd's keeping a 2nd or 3rd complete copy has been a life saver for me..........seriously if your "c" drives goes you SOL .......and I try to keep nothing on the "c" drive but active running software.......all dowloaded software is still burned to a disk and I have 2 copies of them and also on 2 other hdd's................

• Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    Art, you must be one of the most unfortunate hardware victims I've ever met.

You need to sacrifice some TB drives to the memory gods or something man. :D
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Art, you must be one of the most unfortunate hardware victims I've ever met.

You need to sacrifice some TB drives to the memory gods or something man. :D

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    I haven't had a serious prob since I:
    1- went strictly with SEAGATE hdd's
    2- started keeping updated copies of my "c" drive
    3- took everyting off the "c" drive except for the actively running software
    4- keep avg and avast running together at all times
    5- all downloaded software is archived elsewhere
    Now where did that cd go with the original Lightroom and all the updates ........................:D:D:D:D

I create static on my wireless phones, including the cell...unless I am standing barefoot in the dirt....not concrete sidewalk but on bare dry dirt......I am not kidding.......it has calmed down a little since I was attuned to 1st degree Reiki but even now as a Reiki Master...I stil have static problems at times so I just slipp off shoes and stand in the dirt if i am outside...get funy looks but hey it works............:D:D:Drolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

• Options
    edited July 2, 2008
    I filed an online warranty claim with Seagate, today. My new drive has been shipped, 2nd day delivery. $20 for them sending the replacement first, then me returning the old within 30 days. I may just do all clean installs.
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2008
    Well, I spent Thursday night replacing and reloading the new drive. Turns out, it is a Maxtor, certified rebuild. Anywho, it works. I had to laugh, I could have upgraded to a 500g drive for $99. Fac 'tis, a brand new 500g is $99, without a warranty exchange. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited July 6, 2008
    Just a quick word about SMART. And that is that it does its thing based on pre-programmed logic. For example; if the drive sees some number of failures (which can be something as simple as marking a block as "bad"), it will mark the drive for replacement. This does not always mean the drive is bad or will fail. What it does say is that the drive has experienced something that bears looking into.

It's also the case that older drive firmware may have been too aggressive in failing the drives.

As far as ghost and tools like it (systemImager for *ix heads) always work when you restore like to like. In other words, the same hardware configuration. Any of these will fail if you try and install an image on a machine which is different. Most of these tools are also smart enough to write boot records. For windows, there is another step that you may also need to take and that's the bit where you get rid of the SSID though this step should only be required if you are ghosting a number of machines from the same image.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?