Options

Need to buy a Tripod and Ballhead, help in choosing please

wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
edited July 16, 2008 in Accessories
Sup All,

I am in the market to purchase a tripod and a ballhead. My budget is $500(ouch!) and here are some criterias that I have narrowed down:
  1. Need a good solid tripod that will last at least 5 years.
  2. Light enough to take on hikes, yet won't vibrate..Carbon Fiber?
  3. I am about 5'10" and thus figured on a height of the tripod without center column to be about 55inches or so.
  4. I take all sorts of shots (nature, portraits, sport, wildlife, macro, and so on)
  5. My camera is going to change over time and thus shouldn't be a major factor...I only envision moving up the DSLR category. Not large format by any means.
  6. I want to be able to quickly take the camera off tripod for spontaneous shots.
  7. I want to carry the camera attached to my tripod and ballhead and walk around or hike around and not be "afraid". The heaviest lens I can forsee owning is the 400/f2.8
  8. I like ballheads but am confused to which one. And do they or do they not come with a way to attach them to cameras? Quick relase plates? Please tell me there are generic ones, but we would have to buy "specific ones".
So far I am attracted to Feisol tripods (tournament one?). Which one would you recommend?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WildViper
From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited July 6, 2008
    This often asked question has been answered before.

Have a look here and here.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    This often asked question has been answered before.

Have a look here and here.
    And then, focus on the RRS BH40 and the Gitzos, or Slik CF, or Manfrottoo CF in that order thumb.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    There is akso GIOTTOS that is very good and less expensive even in their basalt line of light weight heavy duty tripods..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    And then, focus on the RRS BH40 and the Gitzos, or Slik CF, or Manfrottoo CF in that order thumb.gif

I am sorry I never mentioned, but I have searched and read as many posts that I could. Here and everywhere else. (and yes, I have read John Shaw's Nature Photography book as well as Thom's tripod deal..I have already spent $160 on cheap tripods).

The reason I am asking for help even after reading all this, is that I am confused. While Gitzo's are the favorites, I just don't think I have the $$ to spend.

I have read great reviews of Benro, Feisol and Velbon, but seems they never get recommended. I wonder why? Is there something I do not know or missing? I would have thought there would be more people jumping on those for the price to performance advantage over Gitzo's.

While I know I maybe heading towards spending $1700+(per Thom's article) by asking for input on non-Gitzo tripods, I am almost willing to give that a chance if there isn't an "obvious" disadvantage of those non-Gitzo's.

As for Giottos, I have seen them in person and didn't like them.

I have nothing against Gitzo, its just that my budget doesn't stretch that far and have a good ballhead. ANd from what I read, you have to have a very good head.

Also, how about the Markins heads or Kirk head? On Nikonians, Markins seem to be all the rave. I am assuming this is the case due to some marketing alignment they may have with Markins???

For the ball, I do not want to spend time cleaning it because some particles got in there. I would rather have something that needs to be serviced every once in a while even if I use it in a dusty environment(beach, desert and so on).

Sorry for this post to be so long, but I want to finalize what I need to be buying. If possible, specific models would be great help. :)

And Thanx Again especially since there are lots of questions about tripods.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2008
    This goes against what you wrote but I can tell you from personal experience, you are better off saving for a bit longer and getting the best now rather than two or three iterations until you get there. No point in buying something two or three times and that is my lesson for the day.

And perhaps why you don't see too many recommendations for the lower cost tripod/head combinations.
  • Options
    Entropy512Entropy512 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2008
    wildviper wrote:
    I have read great reviews of Benro, Feisol and Velbon, but seems they never get recommended. I wonder why? Is there something I do not know or missing? I would have thought there would be more people jumping on those for the price to performance advantage over Gitzo's.

I'm not sure why - I have had a Benro C-158n6 with a Benro KS-0 head for 3-4 weeks now and really like it. It's very light and quite sturdy. (Of course, I don't have much experience to compare it to other high-end tripods, but it does the job for me.) The KS-0 has an Arca-Swiss style quick release clamp.

I almost went for one of the Manfrotto CXPRO series but they were all out of stock at any reputable vendor. Plus I don't like their quick release system (actually systems - while most other vendors adhere to a single de facto standard, Manfrotto has at least three different quick release systems from a single manufacturer!).

If you went with Benro you'd probably want to move up at LEAST one or two size ratings, as the 158n6 is only rated 11 pounds (This was an intentional choice on my part, what use is a tripod if it's so heavy and long you can't carry it anywhere?)

If you don't plan on hiking with the tripod, you can save a LOT of money by going for an aluminum unit. I hike with mine, so CF was a must.

Edit: Earlier Benro units had a pretty bad reputation. I saw numerous comments that they revamped their lineup sometime in 2007, and the new models are FAR better than the old ones. The C-158n6 got a lot of good reviews on B&H's site. My KS-0 doesn't suffer from any of the problems mentioned in a review of the similarly designed KS-2 back in 2005-2006 or so.
  • Options
    goodcrnagoodcrna Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Rss Bh 40
    Andy,
    Is the RRS BH40 'strong" enough for the 400 f/2.8 lens?
    Thanks,
    Greg

Andy wrote:
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    goodcrna wrote:
    Andy,
    Is the RRS BH40 'strong" enough for the 400 f/2.8 lens?
    Thanks,
    Greg

For the 400/2.8, you need to think about a BH55. The '40 is a tad on the light side for that lens.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    There is akso GIOTTOS that is very good and less expensive even in their basalt line of light weight heavy duty tripods..........

+1

I have one of those Giottos "Basalt" (Lava in their vernacular) legs. Works very well, and is well made. It's survived over a year now with only one little glitch (a plastic bit in one of the leg joints cracked--a bit of epoxy & it's been perfect ever since). I don't abuse it, but have had it to the beach in the sand, and out in dusty conditions. There's a RRS BH-40 on top of it and I have no reason to change anything.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    I can only tell you what I know. Gitzo + RSS quick release plates + Acratech or RRS ballhead rocks.

And *many* people have the same general question as you – Can I get away with a cheaper setup? And it seems that you want someone to tell you that it’s okay to do so since you don’t believe the numerous recommendations from the many articles and dozen of posts on dgrin and other messageboards.

And the answer is yes, but it won’t be as “good”, but it might be good enough for you and many others. And non-gitzo tripods are recommended on dgrin and other forums! Silk, Induro, Giottos, Benro, Feisol and Velbon make some very nice tripods and many of them are gitzo clones. The gitzo’s are generally lighter, have tighter leg locks, smoother locks, better opening/closing motion, and the list goes on and on. And the gitzo's might only be a tad bit better in these areas than the other tripods. Which of these items are important? None? Some? All? In general, most people won't notice the difference if you're using a good ball head and QR plates. It is all a matter of personal preference and it all depends on you. And as for Giottos, why didn’t you like them?

I generally tell people if they need to save money, get a cheaper set of legs, but you *must* get a good ball head (arcatech and RRS are my two currently choices) and the RRS plates. And if you’re afraid of dust in the ball head, the acratech one is open and you can easily clean it.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    And as for Giottos, why didn’t you like them?

a: I had seen one in a store and didn't like how tough they were to setup and how you have to pull the "clips" to adjust the legs. It just didn't work right for me. I went again today and tested it and the same feeling again. I tried the MT 8260.

Thank you all for your comments. Due to some of the comments here and other information I have read, I decided to do a reality check!

While I may wish to own a 400 f2.8, I had no idea on how much that baby costs. I got caught in the "wow, look at that picture Mr. Rich Photographer took" and wanted to be part of that band wagon. headscratch.gif

Reality Check Results: I am not a pro and am not planning on turning pro.

I don't need the 400 f2.8 nor am I going to get one over the forseeable future. The max I see spending money for is: 70-200 2.8 VR or a 80-400VR.

I do need a good tripod so that my camera doesn't fall like it almost has on Walmart tripods.

I don't print life size posters nor am I keen on getting published. I just like seeing good pictures for me and my f&fs.

So, after much reading(god, I don't think I have read this much for any of my exams), I have decided that I am going to give Feisol the go($220 or so). I really do like Gitzo (the Explorer versions), but I just can't justify spending $450+ for those.

I do need carbon fiber since I do go on hikes and the 4-5lb tripods could easily become very heavy.

So I humbly apologize bowdown.gif to you all for wanting the best of the best( and not having the mucho dollares) when obviously I can be satisfied (and probably won't notice the lack of "better") with something close to "very good" or "excellent" tripods. Thus the Feisol.

As for the heads, I am probably going to go for Kirk BH-3 or Markins M10. The RRS and Arca balls are out of my league. Even Markins and Kirk are stretching it, but I figured a good head is something I have to get to avoid "camera flops".

I hope this serves as a good reference point for other amateurs who are all glossy eyed(like me) and want to justify spending $1,000 when this is not our field and is just a hobby. Do a reality check first and don't get carried away.

While I may end up getting a Gitzo in the future, at this time, I have no "need" for it and don't forsee the need anytime soon.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2008
    Hey, as long as you get what is going to work for you it's all good.

Do let us know how it turns out too deal.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Hey, as long as you get what is going to work for you it's all good.

Do let us know how it turns out too deal.gif

Well, after all that, I found a great deal on a Gitzo GT2530 Mountaineer and bought it. I paid $375! for this. I know it is over the $220 for Feisol, but a $200 savings is a great deal and I couldn't resist. :)wings.gif

Now I have to find a good head for this. How about Gitzo heads?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    wildviper wrote:
    Now I have to find a good head for this.

Congrats on the tripod deal.

As for the head, please read this thread again. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    wildviper wrote:
    As for the heads, I am probably going to go for Kirk BH-3 or Markins M10. The RRS and Arca balls are out of my league. Even Markins and Kirk are stretching it, but I figured a good head is something I have to get to avoid "camera flops".

How does the Markins M10 compare to the BH40 from RRS? Anyone have experience with both?
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    Just as a FYI, I ended up buying the Kirk BH-3 over the others due to cost. The BH-3 seems like all I need at this moment and I got a good deal again on that. $185 shipped with 5 yr warranty. :ivar

Thanks to all who helped. I am looking forward to my Gitzo coming in.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    I agree with Art Scott
    I have a Giottos MT-8180 Carbon Fiber tripod which has worked extremely well for me. It is tall, sturdy and relatively light weight (for its height and sturdiness). I got it on sale when Giottos discontinued the model. I like it because it can articulate to various positions enabling the camera it is supporting to be placed close to the subject.

I am under the impression that Giottos also has a line of consumer level tripods (not the Lava models or even the high end aluminum models) which are not at all great.

I also have a Giottos MH-1300 Ball Head which incorporates the MH-657 Quick release system. The head is just fine but, the MH-657 system which is touted to be Arca compatible in only "semi compatible". The QR base will not fit Kirk lens plates but, will fit the RRS L-plate which is my major concern. The Giottos lens plates are just fine but, the Giottos version of the L-plate is a generic plate and not camera specific. It is nowhere near as neat as the RRS L-plate which conforms to the cameras shape.

After working with a RRS L-plate, I don't want any other way of mounting a non-tripod-ring-equipped lens to a tripod head.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    Well I got my Tripod yesterday. it is light and definately well made.

I couldn't figure out the G-Lock thing on this tripod. It seems rough and I almost end up unscrewing it. Is that normal? It feels like it is grinding...kinda like sand is stuck in it or something.

Please let me know if that is normal or not. I may have to return this.

The model is GT2530 Mountaineer Carbon 6X

Thanx for any help.

EDIT: Just realized that GT2530 doesn't have G-Lock. Oops.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    wildviper wrote:
    I couldn't figure out the G-Lock thing on this tripod. It seems rough and I almost end up unscrewing it. Is that normal? It feels like it is grinding...kinda like sand is stuck in it or something.

Grab the lock and twist it counter clockwise. This unlocks the leg. Make the adjustment you need to then twist it clockwise to lock it. In either case, you shouldn't need to twist too much. Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn--I can't recall off hand (I have the same tripod).

The twist locks should be fairly smooth. Again, for this type of lock, you shouldn't need to tighten it too much for it to lock solidly.