Options

Return to the Rt 60 waterfall

photojphotoj Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited July 8, 2008 in Journeys
A few months back I posted a series of shots take at one of our local waterfalls. (orginal thread) I was hoping to get back up that way sooner but then soccer started and one thing lead to another, last weekend my step-daughter and I slipped up there early that morning while the rest of the family slept in. While she played on the rocks I took some shots. The fall was much greener than last time. I also had my tripod (that feared evil device) with me this time.

Here are a few of the images I took away. I also had my ND filter in place for a few of them. It was a blast. I'd love to do a wedding shoot in the location; it would make a great background.

1)
317820946_FUkDj-M.jpg

2)
317833068_aM2Rn-M.jpg

3)
317871575_5saEg-M.jpg

4)
317881708_5jbk6-M.jpg

5)
317880475_xc9wt-M.jpg

6)
317887991_sYC9v-M.jpg

7)
317889389_8FyZ6-M.jpg

8)
317891169_oi6LJ-M.jpg

If you would like to see the rest of the gallery, including the ones I took earlier this year click here.
"Make it don't take it!"

Jason

Comments

• Options
    JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Wow, great location! Wonderful shots!!!
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    beautiful waterfalliloveyou.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    Very beautiful ! lovely
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    photoj wrote:
    I also had my tripod (that feared evil device) with me this time.

Are you related to a photographer named Davev. rolleyes1.gif

Nice series. I'd have to say #3 and #7 are my favorites.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2008
    not sure
    grimace wrote:
    Are you related to a photographer named Davev. rolleyes1.gif

Nice series. I'd have to say #3 and #7 are my favorites.

Thanks for your comments. Davev? Don't know, don't think so.

PhotoJ
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    Great shots! I'd love to know where this is on RT 60, as I live in the area (northern Va) and I'm always riding out to WV.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    near Gauley Bridge
    RocketMan wrote:
    Great shots! I'd love to know where this is on RT 60, as I live in the area (northern Va) and I'm always riding out to WV.

RM

If you are coming out of Charleston you will find this fall just outside of Gauley Bridge,where the Kanawha River is formed by the Gauley and New River. If you are coming at it grom I-64 then you will pass through the town of Ansted and Hawks Nest state park before getting to the fall itself. There is another fall there too called Kanawha fall, it is not as spectacular but it is nice. This one is at the base of Gauley mountain, literaly beside the road. There is a nice spot to pull over and paths leading up to the face of the fall. Some of these images were taken while I was standing in the stream that results from the fall.

If you are going to be passing though and have the time let me know I'll try and meet up with you.

PhotoJ
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    Thanks, I've been thru there a number of times, great area for riding and photography, can't think of a better combo!

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    I liked them all, but your last one is my #1 pick thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2008
    rocks in a stream
    Dogdots wrote:
    I liked them all, but your last one is my #1 pick thumb.gif

Thanks..the on you like is one of my favorites too. It was just a few rocks that made a great little cascade but withthe ND it turned out great.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    Beautiful.

That is one of my favorite places to stop(Cathedral Falls) eat lunch and photograph before heading up the hill to Fayetteville.
    Ill be heading through those parts again in October for Bridge Day.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2008
    Bridge Day
    Beautiful.

That is one of my favorite places to stop(Cathedral Falls) eat lunch and photograph before heading up the hill to Fayetteville.
    Ill be heading through those parts again in October for Bridge Day.

I am looking forward to Bridge Day this year, I am trying to get access to the river area. Know a few folks that might be able to get me onto a side road down there. I want to get shots of the jumpers as they open their parachutes. I know I can get down there but if the connection pans out I may have a decent vantage point.

I live just outside Montgomery and have made regular visits to the falls this year, mainly to shoot. I have been thinking of doing a photobook of the area.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    photoj wrote:
    I am looking forward to Bridge Day this year, I am trying to get access to the river area. Know a few folks that might be able to get me onto a side road down there. I want to get shots of the jumpers as they open their parachutes. I know I can get down there but if the connection pans out I may have a decent vantage point.

I live just outside Montgomery and have made regular visits to the falls this year, mainly to shoot. I have been thinking of doing a photobook of the area.

We are working on our media passes now through a couple of connections.
    You may want to contact the chamber of commerce in Fayetteville/Oak Hills
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    Media Pass

Thanks for the reminder. I don't know ne_nau.gif why it hadn't popped in my head that I would need a pass yet. I will look up their Chamber site and see what I need to do to arange one tomorrow. One of the benefits of working for the state is that I have the entire day off for the 4th. It will give me some time in the morning to look that up and start the process. Thanks John.thumb.gif
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    Bridge Day shoot

Hers a thought you and I could team up and promote a dgrin bridge day shoot. Take some of the shots you have on your site, start a thread and see how many dgriner's we can get to come out for the day to shoot. What are your thoughts? I've never organized that kind of event before but I have organized other events.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2008
    photoj wrote:
    Hers a thought you and I could team up and promote a dgrin bridge day shoot. Take some of the shots you have on your site, start a thread and see how many dgriner's we can get to come out for the day to shoot. What are your thoughts? I've never organized that kind of event before but I have organized other events.

Too late for this year and perhaps next.
    Accommodations are already maxed for 2008.
    When you get about 200,000 people in that little town,you need to plan way in advancene_nau.gif

Look me up,we will be there that Thursday before and have a cabin in the Class VI compound.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2008
    Bridge day
    Too late for this year and perhaps next.
    Accommodations are already maxed for 2008.
    When you get about 200,000 people in that little town,you need to plan way in advancene_nau.gif

Look me up,we will be there that Thursday before and have a cabin in the Class VI compound.

I'll put it on my calendar for like 9 months out and get a hold of you then. I'll try and look you up when you are here. Do you have a shoot location below the bridge worked out. Wait dumb quetion...of course you do. :D
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason