Options

Looking in central NH

bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
Spending my week up in Tilton NH and looking for locations within an hour. Probably heading to the Flume (haven't been there in 25 years) and may hit southern ME for a day but looking for interesting locatioins with an hour's drive - plus some that let you have dawn or sunset access

Comments

• Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    bkatz wrote:
    Spending my week up in Tilton NH and looking for locations within an hour. Probably heading to the Flume (haven't been there in 25 years) and may hit southern ME for a day but looking for interesting locatioins with an hour's drive - plus some that let you have dawn or sunset access

I can't believe no ones responded to this. There are so many beautiful places in NH. It's been 7yrs since I've been there and when I was there I spent most of my time up in the white mountains hiking. One thing I remember is the best thing to do was get off the main roads and just drive around. One weekend I found a map of covered bridges in NH (it was at a Barnes and Noble) and spent a long day going to every covered bridge I could get to.
    Tilton seems to be right around the lakes district so probably sunsets/sunrise around a lake would be good.
    Hopefully a local will pipe up soon.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    Thanks Phillip - definitely an idea.

I already went out for the sunrise this morning and snapped some pictures from a side road.

Hopefully I will more answers before I leave next Saturday.
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Take the loop around Lake Winnipesaukee stopping at places like Meredith, Center Harbor, Moultonboro, Wolfeboro, etc. Meredith and Center Harbor have some nice areas that ovelook the lake. Moultonboro has a charming old General Store that's worth a visit. Castle in the Clouds is not far from the General Store and is worth a stop as well.

Sqam Lake is where "On Golden Pond" was filmed. You may want to visit there as well.

WARNING: This will easily take up an entire day, especially if you end up shopping at the outlets in Laconia! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    CCCCCC Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 6, 2008
    bkatz wrote:

Some very scenic places in the area are Mt. Washington, the Kangamangas (sp) highway, Old Man in the Mountain (albeit I beleive his nose has fallen off), and there is an old bike trail in Center Sandwich that is an easy trek and really beautiful. If you are heading to ME, some of the best pictures can be found in Lovel, Waterford, Harrison, and Bridgton area. Plenty of lakes there. That is where I grew up. These areas are just 30 - 45 min east of North Conway, NH.

Happy Trails!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    You could always ride this
    310368185_Ex5ft-M.jpg
    on this
    310369199_qjpoA-M.jpg
    up to this, Mt. Washington from 7.3 miles as the crow flies.:D
    308489500_frvLH-M.jpg
    Darn thing didn't open for the season till the next Saturday so didn't get to ride it. :cry
    But did drive up other side to road closure, 4.25 miles.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2008
    Al -

We went past it between the days in Storyland and Santa's Village on Sunday/Monday. I think I have convinced my wife to consider taking the kids on a hike up it.

We did the flume gorge on Friday and I got some great pictures and on Saturday woke up for no reason (didn't plan on it and shot the sunrise).

It has been unbelievably hazy the last few days - led me to take very few pictures in the mountains but I have a few more days and the weather is supposed to get nice on Thursday and Friday.

What is killing me is that my laptop (vista) is having issues so other than a few pictures for the blog I will have to wait until I get home to go through what I have already shot (LR is a must for me and will not run).