Options

The impossible question....

MalindiMalindi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited July 10, 2008 in Cameras
Or maybe it's the impossible answer...
I had a Canon S2 IS. Loved the thing for a few years, then the dreaded battery issue started and it was eating batteries left and right. Spent a small fortune replacing perfectly good rechargeable batteries... Long story.. Sold the damn thing for $50 cash yesterday. I took about 10,000 pictures with it in the last 2 years (one year on a motorcycle trip).
Now the dilemma... What now? The S5 IS is basically crap, with huge noise on simple shots and nowhere near as nice a picture quality as the S2. There are some other small compacts, but all seem to have one issue or other.
One of my initial criteria was to be able to use AA batteries. One look at the current landscape of cameras and that seems a hard thing to hold on to.
So I browse and come across the G9. Looks very nice but I have no experience with it. I love the compactness but wonder about the smaller lens.
I drift "upstairs" and look at a Nikon D80. My gf has one and loves it, makes great shots and what not. I don't like the controls, it seems a very confusing UI for a camera. She has a few nice lenses and I love the look and feel and AMAZING shots this thing makes. Hmm.... Debate 1.
But then I look at the Canon 40D. Same sort of deal as the D80, a little bigger, better menus, self-cleaning sensor but uses CF cards.. (I have stacks of SDs)
If I were to get a D80, we could trade lenses and stuff, but then I have a lesser UI. If I buy a Canon, it's a different game, I get a self-cleaning system but can't share lenses and have a better UI. Or I can go back to the G9 and call it good.
I ride a lot and I carry my camera a lot. I hear from people that carrying an SLR is "different" and requires a lot more work than a small one... Figures.
But in reviewing all these toys I have to admit I am a perfectionist and I'd rather haul glass than compromise.
So, given the criteria above:
- Which camera produces the best pics, all other factors being equal?
- Am I dumb to even consider a Canon if we already have a Nikon D80? (and some nice lenses)
- Should I buy a G9 because it's good to have a small point and shoot camera anyways?
Argh!!! Why is this so hard?
All help, input, opinions and wise/harsh words welcome.
Kevin

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Buy the G9. Great camera...cheap (ish) easy good rep & will take excellent photos without having to get onto the DSLR $ round-a-bout of filters/tripods/heads/bags etc etc etc.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Buy the G9. Great camera...cheap (ish) easy good rep & will take excellent photos without having to get onto the DSLR $ round-a-bout of filters/tripods/heads/bags etc etc etc.

Ok, thanks for the feedback .... one question.. Will I get better pics with the G9 versus the S2? I know it's a lot more megapixels, but in some cases I find my old Olympus C3030 to have better shots than my S2, weird as that may sound.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    Malindi wrote:
    Ok, thanks for the feedback .... one question.. Will I get better pics with the G9 versus the S2? I know it's a lot more megapixels, but in some cases I find my old Olympus C3030 to have better shots than my S2, weird as that may sound.
    I believe you will get a better quality photo (technically speaking) from the G9..no problem there.

If you really wanted to go down the DSLR road, you wouldn't be asking in here...you would have made your mind up already that your having one & simply be debating which brand. Buying a DSLR can be a true pandoras box....you are getting into something that simply wont ever end (for most of us anyway & we enjoy that) ..but for having a camera in your backpack constantly & having one that will return a high quality photo then i doubt there is a better choice currently than that of the G9.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    gus wrote:
    I believe you will get a better quality photo (technically speaking) from the G9..no problem there.

If you really wanted to go down the DSLR road, you wouldn't be asking in here...you would have made your mind up already that your having one & simply be debating which brand. Buying a DSLR can be a true pandoras box....you are getting into something that simply wont ever end (for most of us anyway & we enjoy that) ..but for having a camera in your backpack constantly & having one that will return a high quality photo then i doubt there is a better choice currently than that of the G9.

Ok, thanks. Much appreciated. I do like to take pictures (a lot). Some of my stuff is here: www.nohorizons.net

Cheers,
    K
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    Lets not stop here...im sure others have some valuable advice. Also i moved the thread to the 'Cameras' forum where it will be seen better.
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    I'll just second gus' suggestions, I'm one who has opened pandora's box, and while an $800, or even a $1500 SLR doesn't necessarily seem hard to budget for, only a couple years down the road and I'm shopping for a bigger backpack to house my thousands of dollars of gear in...

Don't get me wrong, I love every minute of it! But it's worth deciding if you're ready and willing to go down that road.

I don't have any hands on experience with a G9, but it seems to be the people's choice for a high quality, versatile compact, and if you don't have any very specific needs it can't meet, then why not the G9?
  • Options
    silverstangssilverstangs Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    When it comes to getting into a DSLR, you will end up in one of three camps, Love it, indifferent or hate it.

If you love it, prepare to make your wallet cry for mercy.

If you’re indifferent, you will use it from time to time, but won't completely enjoy it for a while.

If you hate it, you will want to get rid of it and go back to the P & S.

If a P & S has been great and convient for you, go that route. If you found that your P & S has been limiting you, then your ready to step up to the next level.

If you do decide you want to step up, then consider what will feel right for you. If you find you prefer the Canon and it feels more intuitive, then I would suggest you go that route. If you buy something your not completely happy with, it will hinder you more than allow you to grow as a photographer. Granted having the ability to share lenses is nice, but being able to enjoy using the equipment you buy and getting the images you want is even better. Misery has it's place, and it should not be involved with a hobby.

• Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    Misery has it's place, and it should not be involved with a hobby.
    I'd like to buy that line...what will you take for it ?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited July 5, 2008
    Kevin,

What is it you really "want" to do?

Are you limited to one or the other direction? (If you could get both a P&S and a dSLR would that be best?)

Review your own work, find out what worked for you and what did not. Remember what shots you missed and why.

In the end, purchase whatever works to "your" needs and "your" wishes.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    gus has good points. Some of what you've said indicates you might be ready for a DSLR. You've seen some of what is involved with your girlfriend's camera. It's bulkier and more complex than a self-contained P&S, but you have more control and higher ultimate quality. It's also a much more expensive proposition, and has no end as gus said--there's always another gadget to buy. That is indeed part of the fun for most of us as we're gear geeks as well. It takes more commitment to use a DSLR rig. If you do go that route, I'd say go Canon; you have said you prefer the control layout, so that is a very important factor. You will also have a larger pool of rental and used equipment.

If you prefer the P&S, the G9 has a very good reputation and is a good choice.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Kevin,

What is it you really "want" to do?

Are you limited to one or the other direction? (If you could get both a P&S and a dSLR would that be best?)

Review your own work, find out what worked for you and what did not. Remember what shots you missed and why.

In the end, purchase whatever works to "your" needs and "your" wishes.

While having both seems like the best of both worlds, I find I have never once gone back to using my 'pricey' P&S I bought shortly before I switched to DSLR. And the only reason is that I feel somewhat guilty not using all that good glass I treated myself to! Even when I'm shooting something not critically important, I still use the good glass. Meanwhile, I am beginning to yearn for simpler times and not having to lug all that gear around. (Never thought I would hear myself admit that!!! eek7.gif ) But that is me and where I'm at in my life. What is important to you? The freedom to travel on a bike, relaxing and documenting your journey, or are you looking for more creativity in your photos and a pricey hobby? You said you loved your other P&S. Lots to consider and not necessarily one easy answer. The grass is not always greener. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    While having both seems like the best of both worlds, I find I have never once gone back to using my 'pricey' P&S I bought shortly before I switched to DSLR. ...

As a "for instance" I bought a Fujifilm F30 P&S and I use it for those times when I don't want to be hindered with a dSLR (or intimidate the subjects). I used the camera in the O'Hare airport (my son was flying out), when a dSLR would have been a complicator, and most recently, when my sister came to visit (she hates cameras and others taking her picture.)

I did go ahead and add several accessory lenses (which it doesn't accept directly) and I purchased a Sunpak slave unit that allows me to use an external flash (really handy for bounce situations and longer flash range at low ISO).

The F30 has enough dynamic range so that I can "push" the shadows in a very dSLR fashion with little noise.

The only thing I miss now is RAW mode.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited July 5, 2008
    I just added a G9 to my collection.

Why? I love my 40D, but there are times when I want a good camera with me "just in case". Times when I think (I know?) I'll want to take photos, but I don't want to carry the larger dSLR and lenses. I travel on my bicycle, and both cameras usually travel with me, the G9 in a small fanny pack, and the 40D in a safe rack pack on the rear rack of my bicycle. If I see something that cries out for a quick photo I can put my foot down and grab the G9. If I see something that cries out for photo play, I can get off of the bike and play with my 40D. Or both...

If you'd like to see some photos from the G9, here's a link to the gallery containing photos from my early play with the camera - http://www.denisegoldberg.com/gallery/5006458_DjBW3.

On the battery front, I gave up off-the-shelf batteries as a requirement a long time ago when all of the cameras that interested me used proprietary batteries. I make sure that I have 2 batteries though, and I do replace them periodically when they start to have a shorter lifespan.

It really comes down to your needs, not anyone else's.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    Thanks for all your input... I think I'll spend some time playing with the controls on my gf's camera and see if it makes more sense. The Canon was dead easy, the Nikon not so much.

If I go DSLR, which brand supports the best glass? I know... but I had to ask

K
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    Malindi wrote:
    Thanks for all your input... I think I'll spend some time playing with the controls on my gf's camera and see if it makes more sense. The Canon was dead easy, the Nikon not so much.

If I go DSLR, which brand supports the best glass? I know... but I had to ask

K

Alphabetical order:

Canon
    Leica
    Nikon
    Olympus
    Pentax
    Sony (Minolta)

Honestly, they all have lenses in varying grades and costs, including wonderful professional grade lenses.

Nikon and Canon (reverse alphabetical) have by far the greatest diversity and used lens offerings.

Pentax has the best compatibility with old lenses (some great old manual lenses), with Nikon and Minolta not too far behind.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Kevin -

If AA batteries are important to you take a look at the Pentax K200D. It's a relatively small DSLR that runs on your choice of either four AA lithium batteries or four NiMH rechargebale AAs.

In egonomics, image quality and pretty much any measure other than size, it will run rings around any of the Canon Sx series cameras or the G9.
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    Progress, of sorts.....
    Spent some time at the local camera store. Shot a few things with the D80 from my gf, shot the same things with the G9. Bottom line, I hate the G9 because you can only really frame things through the LCD screen. The little viewfinder is worse than what I had on my 110 when I was a kid. So it's out.

But then I got talking to the rep and he told me the D200 is now cheaper than a 40D as there's a new D300 out. So that D200 came out ... lots of nice controls, better ergos for sure....

B&H has a D200 + 18-200 VR II lens for around $2K
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/413124-REG/Nikon_9995_D200_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

That should cover off everyhting I want, by a long shot. But they of course are out of stock. I have to admit I want quality, playing with all these cameras and purple fraying has to be a thing of the past. I'm going to carry glass, preferably the setup I listed above. I think that would make me VERY happy. My gf rarely uses any of her other lenses and uses her 18-135 all the time.

So now I need to find a good deal on a D200 + the 18-200 VR II kit...

Any other ideas as to good online sources? I only know B&H and not much else.

Cheers,
    Kevin
  • Options
    BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Why don't you check B&H now with Canon's 5D + 28~105mm "L" IS lense... (Kit of $2600) That should be the last camera you will ever buy...
    (see you soon!)

Be well... Ara & Spirit
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    Another change ...

I'm going to go for a D80 because I don't see how a D200 would be better? It's the same chip so I expect the same picture quality...?

The D200 is nicer and alloy versus plastic ... also weather proof... but it uses CF and I don't feel like buying a bunch of CF. We use SD mostly

I'm thinking of the 18-200 mm VR II lens. Any feedback on that?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    Malindi wrote:
    Another change ...

I'm going to go for a D80 because I don't see how a D200 would be better? It's the same chip so I expect the same picture quality...?

The D200 is nicer and alloy versus plastic ... also weather proof... but it uses CF and I don't feel like buying a bunch of CF. We use SD mostly

I'm thinking of the 18-200 mm VR II lens. Any feedback on that?

Thanks!

The kit?
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    BeemerChef wrote:

Nope, I'm getting a different lens

wave.gif

Where are you? Done at the beginning of Aug and will ride down to where you are.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2008
    Malindi wrote:
    Nope, I'm getting a different lens

wave.gif

Where are you? Done at the beginning of Aug and will ride down to where you are.

Send you a pm...
  • Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    OK. Going against the grain here...
    Malindi wrote:
    I had a Canon S2 IS. Loved the thing for a few years...
    1. The camera did everything you asked of it for years iloveyou.gif

2. You got along just fine with the size, operation, and GUI.

3. You knew its capabilities (probably like you do your Bike), and how to get the most out of the camera (probably without thinking).

4. Your image requirements haven't exceeded the camera's capabilites (a clean 5MP can go a long way).

5. Nothing else for all these years has seemed to warrant any kind of upgrade thus far (I still have cameras like that).

6. You could think of a 1000 other things to do with 2000 dollars, no?

7. So perhaps a trip over to Flea-Bay (or Amazon Used) might ultimately be the best solution? thumb.gif

8. I saw a "Used - Like New" S2 IS going for a miserly $229.

9. All you have to do is just shoot another 10,000 frames and thank me on the flip side. :D

J&H

10. ps... I really love Sanyo Eneloop batteries.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2008
    1. The camera did everything you asked of it for years iloveyou.gif

2. You got along just fine with the size, operation, and GUI.

3. You knew its capabilities (probably like you do your Bike), and how to get the most out of the camera (probably without thinking).

4. Your image requirements haven't exceeded the camera's capabilites (a clean 5MP can go a long way).

5. Nothing else for all these years has seemed to warrant any kind of upgrade thus far (I still have cameras like that).

6. You could think of a 1000 other things to do with 2000 dollars, no?

7. So perhaps a trip over to Flea-Bay (or Amazon Used) might ultimately be the best solution? thumb.gif

8. I saw a "Used - Like New" S2 IS going for a miserly $229.

9. All you have to do is just shoot another 10,000 frames and thank me on the flip side. :D

J&H

10. ps... I really love Sanyo Eneloop batteries.

Too late ... got a Nikon D80 and the 18-200 mm VR lens. clap.gif