Options

Gallery Template

winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
edited April 5, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I would love a gallery that pulled its settings from a template every time it was accessed. That way, I could change the settings of all my galleries at once.

Currently, it is a tedious process to both change all my galleries, and then check to ensure that I have not missed one.

I know that this involves major work to the structure of the site, but it would really make my smugmug experience a whole lot more enjoyable.

-Winn

Comments

• Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 3, 2005
    winnjewett wrote:
    I would love a gallery that pulled its settings from a template every time it was accessed. That way, I could change the settings of all my galleries at once.

Currently, it is a tedious process to both change all my galleries, and then check to ensure that I have not missed one.

I know that this involves major work to the structure of the site, but it would really make my smugmug experience a whole lot more enjoyable.

-Winn

no idea how feasible this is, but I will pass it along to the rest of the team.
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    Another angle would be to have some method of selecting multiple galleries to conform to a template. Some form of this would be VERY nice.

James.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    I dunno about SM..
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Another angle would be to have some method of selecting multiple galleries to conform to a template. Some form of this would be VERY nice.

James.
    .. but with S*E you get it soon.
    Prolly not this week, but hopefully this month..:-)

HTH

Nik
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2005
    Speaking of template's is there a way to delete them? am I just being stupid or are you stuck with them for now? ear.gif

James.
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    winnjewett wrote:

-Winn
    You can set up a template. When you customize a gallery, at the top there is an option to select a template. At the bottom you can name the current settings as a template for future use. When you create a new gallery there is an option to select a template for the settings. I don't know that you can set mutiple galleries at once, but I have templates for mine.

Is this what you are talking about? Maybe this is a Pro option?
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    landrum wrote:
    You can set up a template. When you customize a gallery, at the top there is an option to select a template. At the bottom you can name the current settings as a template for future use. When you create a new gallery there is an option to select a template for the settings. I don't know that you can set mutiple galleries at once, but I have templates for mine.

Is this what you are talking about? Maybe this is a Pro option?

The only problem with this is that you can't later change the template, and then have that template's changes propogate throughout all the galleries that use that template. The pricing scheme has the same issue. Though it is very nice to be able to price a gallery by using a template, once those prices are set you can't change the template prices and have all the price changes propogate as well.

In other words, the templates are great and handy for creating and setting up galleries, but they don't help in managing changes over time. Its better than nothing. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    The only problem with this is that you can't later change the template, and then have that template's changes propogate throughout all the galleries that use that template. The pricing scheme has the same issue. Though it is very nice to be able to price a gallery by using a template, once those prices are set you can't change the template prices and have all the price changes propogate as well.

In other words, the templates are great and handy for creating and setting up galleries, but they don't help in managing changes over time. Its better than nothing. :)
    Oohh...I see what you're looking for. Yes, that would be a pain having to change everything later. I have just set mine up and haven't had to change anything yet...

ne_nau.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    MercPhoto, you have hit the nail on the head. I am looking for an easy way to change lots of galleries' templates at once both for ease of use, and for ease of mind, knowing that all of my galleries have been set up properly.

-Winn
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    I am betting that Nikolai will beat them to the punch on this one.

James.