• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Beautiful place! I wish I was there.

I do feel like I'm going to fall down those stairs, though.... lol3.gif
  • Options
    Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Wow, very beautiful place...ohhh reminds me of my days in Greece... iloveyou.gif

The photo is cool but the horizon is slanted just enough to be noticable.
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Absolutely gorgeous.

The AC's out in my building today, so I appreciate the visual cool-down. :whew
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Beautiful place! I wish I was there.

I do feel like I'm going to fall down those stairs, though.... lol3.gif

Thanks Schmoo. I normally do not post on the Landscape thread, but the couple of times I have, I notice that I get a lot of views with no CCs. Same with this photo until you kindly gave me a nod. So tell me, is the photo I posted poor or what? I am learning, so be candid. I know my above post is not your typical landscape photo, so maybe it belongs on a different thread. Appreciate any coaching you might share. :D:D
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    i think its a great capture, i like the haze in the bg, the light on the texture... the mood in general is good......

only thing i can comment on changing is the horizon tilt, and a hindsight issue is maybe making something more of a subject...like maybe the doom or whatever...its all a matter of opinion......im sure we all would have composed differently....

thanks for sharing...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    ...I notice that I get a lot of views with no CCs. Same with this photo until you kindly gave me a nod. So tell me, is the photo I posted poor or what? I am learning, so be candid.
    Dan, don't take it personally. We have way more lurkers than posters - check the stats right now:
    In da house: 818 (91 members and 727 lurkers)
    Even worse, of the 91 members online right now probably 50% don't post much. Couple that with the volume of new posts on the site in general and it's awfully easy for a thread to get overlooked.

Just keep posting and have fun - don't worry about it.deal.gif

Loved the shot, by the way!
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Beautiful shot!
    My dad was born there, in the village of Oia. I visited with him back in 1976. I understand a lot has changed since then, like an airport. Back then, an 8-hour ferry boat ride from the Pireaus was the only option.

Your pic looks like it was in Oia.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    I normally do not post on the Landscape thread, but the couple of times I have, I notice that I get a lot of views with no CCs. :D:D

15524779-Ti.gif That's because they wish they could handle wildlife...but sadly cannot...rolleyes1.gif

I bet you never even noticed the horizon line when you shot this...something us non-landscapers need to watch.

Very nice comp otherwise...pretty shot.:D
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Amazing photo
    this place is on my wishlist to visit what a beautiful place clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2008
    Amazing photo
    this place is on my wishlist to visit what a beautiful place clap.gif

This is a long way from the Pakistan Journey you just posted which is amazing Awais. Back at you bowdown.gif
  • Options
    ArgosArgos Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    The horizon's already been brought up, so about all I can add is that (at least on the monitor I'm using right now) the highlights look a bit blown out. You might want to tinker around a bit to see if you can coax any more detail out of the roof area (don't know if there is any there in the first place, but it's worth a shot).

As for lurkers, yeah, they're there -- the thing I've noticed is that a post can linger for a day or three without a single comment, but as soon as one comment is posted, the floodgates are opened. In a pinch, I'll sometimes reply to my own post with a simple "Ping!" -- this bumps the post back up in the (time sorted) listing, and is usually enough to provoke someone to de-lurk.

YMMV
    Argos
    Lead dog at Old Dog Photography
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2008
    Thank you all for looking and providing good quality feedback and coaching. It is much appreciated. clap.gif This is a very special place that I hope to return to one day. If you ever have the opportunity, go. wings.gif

I straightened the horizon and reduced the blown out whites to add more texture as suggested. WDYT :D

329520214_QVZjq-L.jpg
  • Options
    ArgosArgos Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Beautiful, is what I think. Definitely a place I want to see someday!
    Argos
    Lead dog at Old Dog Photography
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Hi Dan,

Wow your second post is so different! I like it. Great job! thumb.gif

Don't take offense if your threads don't get a lot of comments. A lot of people have stated that it's really hit or miss. With a forum this size sometimes even the best work can slip through the cracks, especially during busy times of hte day when lots of new posts show up. Also, a lot of people browse the forums but aren't registered, so they couldn't post comments even if they wanted to.

Keep up the great work and again, never take a lack of comments personally 'round here! :D
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    Love that shot. Wow, mark that spot as one of those that I MUST visit before I leave this marble!
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    Ahhhhh Greece. I am in love with the islands and will return in late September, including here at Oia on Thira. The Euro exchange will kill me but I just had to go back.

It's a great photo ... I would only add that the large expanse of white below the dome detracts. It looks like this was taken fairly late in the day, which is good, I always try to take pictures when my shadow is longer than I am tall. But this scene might have been just a bit better later before the sun dips below the caldera stage left. And the ferries and other boats run around this point quite often so with some patience, or a ferry schedule, you could have timed something for the middle of the blue. And in waiting, others things may have happened ... the donkeys come through this area, or perhaps ya ya climbing the steps or the shadow of a bird flying over the dome or all of the above at once ... who knows. I will often find special places like this and wait ... so many people scoot and shoot and miss the truly wonderful possibilities of serendipity.

I have some wonderful shots from Oia as the sun is just dipping down, the golden glow dancing across the whitewash texture of the classic Cycladic architecture. When I was there two years ago I was up every morning at 4 a.m. before the dawn, getting in place, waiting for the light ... and I was taking pictures just before and after sunset as well. Midday I drank and ate and hung out and napped :)) Delphini Studios is a wonderful mid-priced placed to stay there by the way.

The Cyclades are magical ... thanks for a little nostalgia :))

cheers,
    tom
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    seastack wrote:
    Ahhhhh Greece. I am in love with the islands and will return in late September, including here at Oia on Thira. The Euro exchange will kill me but I just had to go back.

It's a great photo ... I would only add that the large expanse of white below the dome detracts. It looks like this was taken fairly late in the day, which is good, I always try to take pictures when my shadow is longer than I am tall. But this scene might have been just a bit better later before the sun dips below the caldera stage left. And the ferries and other boats run around this point quite often so with some patience, or a ferry schedule, you could have timed something for the middle of the blue. And in waiting, others things may have happened ... the donkeys come through this area, or perhaps ya ya climbing the steps or the shadow of a bird flying over the dome or all of the above at once ... who knows. I will often find special places like this and wait ... so many people scoot and shoot and miss the truly wonderful possibilities of serendipity.

I have some wonderful shots from Oia as the sun is just dipping down, the golden glow dancing across the whitewash texture of the classic Cycladic architecture. When I was there two years ago I was up every morning at 4 a.m. before the dawn, getting in place, waiting for the light ... and I was taking pictures just before and after sunset as well. Midday I drank and ate and hung out and napped :)) Delphini Studios is a wonderful mid-priced placed to stay there by the way.

The Cyclades are magical ... thanks for a little nostalgia :))

cheers,
    tom

Thanks Tom. I posted a few more shots on a separate thread if you want to take a look. :D