Options

Anyone else have problems with Cookies?

landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
edited April 5, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I am just wondering if my customers are the only ones having these problems...

I would say that about 30%-50% of my customers end up having problems because of cookies. Even though I have given them a tutorial about enabling them and talk them thru it over the phone, many times they still can't get it to work. If it's about a password, I usually have to take the password off. If it's for an order, I then have to place the order myself. I have even had times where I can't get the orders to work myself, and I know my computer is set up to accept cookies.

Is it really necessary to have to accept cookies? (I'm a photo gal, not computer gal, so I don't know the technical side of this!)
Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com

Comments

• Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    you are using frames, and your customers have IE
    I already know what is wrong with your users cookies - it is your site. You are using frames in your site, and Internet Explorer does not accept cookies from smugmug if it is framed from another site. The solution, is to configure your hostname correctly:
    http://smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts

Also, for the info of those who will use this as another example that we ignore IE - there is nothing we can do about this on our end, trust me. It is 100% MS's fault.
  • Options
    K.VanK.Van Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    landrum wrote:

I would say that about 30%-50% of my customers end up having problems because of cookies. Even though I have given them a tutorial about enabling them and talk them thru it over the phone, many times they still can't get it to work. If it's about a password, I usually have to take the password off. If it's for an order, I then have to place the order myself. I have even had times where I can't get the orders to work myself, and I know my computer is set up to accept cookies.

Is it really necessary to have to accept cookies? (I'm a photo gal, not computer gal, so I don't know the technical side of this!)
    150 orders and no cookie complaints.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    I already know what is wrong with your users cookies - it is your site. You are using frames in your site, and Internet Explorer does not accept cookies from smugmug if it is framed from another site. The solution, is to configure your hostname correctly:
    http://smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts

Also, for the info of those who will use this as another example that we ignore IE - there is nothing we can do about this on our end, trust me. It is 100% MS's fault.
    Okay, when I set up an alias...do I need to set one up for www.smugmug.com and one for www.landrum.smugmug.com? I just set up both because I didn't know, but I'm wondering if that was right.

Plus, there are a lot of aliases for secureserver.net. They all look to be related to email. I have no idea why they are there (I didn't put them there) or if I need them. Will it cause problems to delete them? How did they get there? (I'm with GoDaddy.com)

Thank you for such a quick response. I hope that this will fix my problems.

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    As per Ben's instructions here:
    http://ben.smugmug.com/gallery/399662

All you need to do is set up an cname (alias) for 'www' that points to 'www.smugmug.com' - then in your account settings on smugmug, under the professional button, put 'www.photobylaurie.com' in the hostname text field and save it.

Wait a few hours (maybe even a day) and it should work properly. You will have to move your Frames over to our Customizing sections so you can keep your header and footer, but it will be worth it in the end.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2005
    Okay, I've made the changes. We'll see if that works (if I did it right!) Thank you so much for your help!!

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    landrum wrote:

Cookies !! i'll tell you a story about cookies

I really wount eat anyone elses at a party if i dont know anyone there or who made 'em...i did once & i turned into a dolphin in the big tank at seaworld & from what i am told i kept running backwards allnight making that stupid squeaking noise....i learnt a lot from that night.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Cookies !! i'll tell you a story about cookies

I really wount eat anyone elses at a party if i dont know anyone there or who made 'em...i did once & i turned into a dolphin in the big tank at seaworld & from what i am told i kept running backwards allnight making that stupid squeaking noise....i learnt a lot from that night.
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

www.PhotoByLaurie.com