Street protest

MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited July 11, 2008 in Street and Documentary
A group was protesting high gas prices, ironically at one of the cheapest places in town. I like this one. My first successful attempt at fill flash. Wish I knew what I did so I could replicate it.

328982998_MZgGJ-L.jpg
Audentes fortuna iuvat

Comments

• davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Good job. If you have Photoshop try adding a multiply layer and then covering the entire layer black. Then add some dtail with a white (layer) brush on the face.
    Basically ne age dodge and burn.

A quality and very publishable photo!
  • MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Thanks :D I showed it aroud the newsroom, and they want it Page 1 stand alone :)
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Mnemosyne wrote:
    Thanks :D I showed it aroud the newsroom, and they want it Page 1 stand alone :)
    In that case, do not do the dodge & burn suggested above! We don't want another front page phoney photo (see Nik's recent post here) :D
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    I am a photographer for a newspaper and we dodge and burn all the time. As long as there isn't any cloning or adding elements to a photograph, it's fine. We will not clone out distracting items, but we will clean up sensor dust etc.

P.S. Don't really agree with the protest message. I hate high gas prices, but there are bigger issues than big oil and there's plenty of blame to go around. "Big oil" makes for the most convenient blame, but doesn't solve the problem.
  • fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    "Big oil" makes for the most convenient blame, but doesn't solve the problem.

WHAT!?! How DARE you disagree with what we are told by the talking heads? thumb.gif
  • MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Well,I already used the D&B method, worked beautifully. But I didit subtley. Not too much, didn't really change it much, just made the colors look better
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    In that case, do not do the dodge & burn suggested above! We don't want another front page phoney photo (see Nik's recent post here) :D

The rules in photojournalism are generally that you cannot change the CONTENT of your photo. Traditional darkroom methods (dodging and burning, contrast adjustment, etc) are generally okay. Removing or adding items is not.

In other words, you CAN shoot a raw file and adjust the WB and contrast and all that-- no need to only shoot jpegs and that's all you can use. :D

And of course adding an extra missile or two -- well, that is pretty much over the line!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    The rules in photojournalism are generally that you cannot change the CONTENT of your photo. Traditional darkroom methods (dodging and burning, contrast adjustment, etc) are generally okay. Removing or adding items is not.

In other words, you CAN shoot a raw file and adjust the WB and contrast and all that-- no need to only shoot jpegs and that's all you can use. :D

And of course adding an extra missile or two -- well, that is pretty much over the line!
    Well, I learn something every day. Thanks