Options

Mount Rainer (WA. St) - Fall shooting Trip

DiffDiff Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
Planning a photo trip to Mount Rainer in Washington state in Sept to capture fall colors. The plan is to get in a few day hikes.

First - -Is Sept the best month/time?

Second - Anyone provide some specific trails/locations to get some great shots?

Much Thanks!
~ Diff ~

Comments

• Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    September is the best weather month in western Washington. Just hot enough and very dry. You'll have enough light to hike a fair ways. The light is a lot more contrasty by then as well. Plus, being September, the trails will have emptied out significantly.
    Personally, I think that fall colors are way more accessible and interesting on your side of the mountains. I would suggest grabbing Ron C. Judd's Day Hike! Mount Rainier book published by Sasquatch. The overview page has each hike's best season called out. Most glacier areas are best in September because they have melted out enough for access. But that's not fall colors.
    For fall colors the most interesting places lie in the passes between western and eastern Washington. I have three suggestions: one is to hike the Esmeralda Basin in the Teanaway River area near Cle Elum off I-90. I go there every year and you can get lost for a few great days. This thread from last year will give you a hint:
    http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=72750&highlight=teanaway

The second approach will require research: on the eastern side of White Pass there are incredible strands of tamarack or western larch trees that turn a remarkable golden orange. I'm sure you have them near Idaho, but the mix with ponderosa pine and other conifers is sweet.
    The third is to check out the Manastash Ridge and Umtanum areas a bit west of Ellensburg. Another place to get lost with big skies and that mix of east and west.
    167200569_vSkNc-L.jpg

147023391_66ckw-L.jpg

Hope this helps. You will have a great trip in September where ever you go.

M