Options

Tightening a manfrotto 222

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited July 14, 2008 in Accessories
I am about to give this piece of crap the float test in the nearest dam.

Any ideas on how to tighten it ? it cant even hold a 30D & 24-105. Oh ...& yes im not talking about the obvious tightening dial...its on max.

Anyone opened one up to see if there is adjustment in there at all ?

Comments

• Options
    nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    Gus, not sure, but don't throw it in for a float test, send it to me! ;)

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/non-nikon_articles/manfrotto-222-grip-ball-head.html

Last sentence is intriguing.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    Gus, not sure, but don't throw it in for a float test, send it to me! ;)

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/non-nikon_articles/manfrotto-222-grip-ball-head.html

Last sentence is intriguing.
    Thats what i needed to know...thank you !! Its so weak there must be a way around it. To be honest i doubt it could hold a body sideways atm.

If there is a tension screw then i need to find it...ta thumb.gif
  • Options
    gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    Take a look on the bottom plate on the back opposite of the handle. Is there an inset hex screw. If there is that is the ball friction adjustment. The wheel in the handle is for handle tension adjustment not ball friction.

I use the 322 instead as I like camera closer to the ball head for support and that is where the tension screw is located.

1112370346fig12wm7.jpg

It is that little indentation you can see in the above photo below the red handle tension marker.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2008
    Take a look on the bottom plate on the back opposite of the handle. Is there an inset hex screw. If there is that is the ball friction adjustment.
    Tks..i will try that this morning. I have been looking at it & didnt think it would be the tensioner being that it was on a vertical axis. I will see how i go & get back to you...ta.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    Take a look on the bottom plate
    Mate i owe you a beer...the bloody thing will support a 1200mm now thumb.gif I assumed that that screw was too small & on the wrong axis to adjust anything.