Options

I'm trying...

hindsyhindsy Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited July 14, 2008 in Sports
DSC_0038-1.jpg
DSC_0095.jpg
3I just liked this even tho its a mistake...
DSC_0102.jpg
Fisher71108.jpg
5This is my 59 year old dad out still ridin!
DSC_0055.jpg

I don't know if its getting better or not...
Hindsy's X-treme Photos
http://www.pymatuningmx.com/index.html :thumb

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    Hindsy...what equipment are you using & are these photos heavily cropped ?
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Hindsy...what equipment are you using & are these photos heavily cropped ?

1 and 3 are cropped. the others untouched.

I have a Nikon D50 Nikon Nikor 70-300 4-5.6 for all of these shots.

I really need to get reading and doing my homework... lol.... I drool over some of the shots I see on here!
    Hindsy's X-treme Photos
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2008
    hindsy wrote:
    1 and 3 are cropped. the others untouched.

I have a Nikon D50 Nikon Nikor 70-300 4-5.6 for all of these shots.

I really need to get reading and doing my homework... lol.... I drool over some of the shots I see on here!
    Something is going wrong so can you let us know the EXIF data of say the last 2 photos you posted & we will fix this up fast. That camera is well able to nail you sharp photos in that light.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2008
    How do I do that? Do you know?
    Hindsy's X-treme Photos
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2008
    hindsy wrote:
    How do I do that? Do you know?
    Mate i dont know how photobucket does things but i would like to know the aperture (ie f5.6) & shutter speed (ie 1/500) & the ISO that you are using in those photos.

Actually i just joined photo bucket & loaded a photo & couldnt where the exif is listed.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Mate i dont know how photobucket does things but i would like to know the aperture (ie f5.6) & shutter speed (ie 1/500) & the ISO that you are using in those photos.

Actually i just joined photo bucket & loaded a photo & couldnt where the exif is listed.

I attached the file. Can you get the EXIF from there?
    Hindsy's X-treme Photos
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    EXIF: (for some reason I can read most of the exif on these...)

1) Not Available

2)# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 10/2000 second = 1/200 second = 0.005 second
    # Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 63/10 = F6.3
    # Original Date/Time = 2008:07:11 08:35:38
    # Flash = Flash fired, auto mode, return light detected
    # Focal Length = 1220/10 mm = 122 mm
    # Image Width = 3008 pixels
    # Image Height = 2000 pixels

3)# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 10/2000 second = 1/200 second = 0.005 second
    # Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 50/10 = F5
    # Original Date/Time = 2008:07:11 08:38:33
    # Flash = Flash did not fire
    # Focal Length = 2200/10 mm = 220 mm
    # Image Width = 3008 pixels
    # Image Height = 2000 pixels

4)# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 10/2000 second = 1/200 second = 0.005 second
    # Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 80/10 = F8
    # Original Date/Time = 2008:07:11 08:27:35
    # Focal Length = 1220/10 mm = 122 mm
    # Image Width = 1934 pixels
    # Image Height = 2400 pixels

5)# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 10/16000 second = 1/1600 second = 0.00063 second
    # Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 56/10 = F5.6
    # Original Date/Time = 2008:07:05 02:05:34
    # Focal Length = 3000/10 mm = 300 mm
    # Image Width = 2256 pixels
    # Image Height = 1496 pixels

1/200 seems a bit too slow to really get a good shot out of these... but that 1/1600 seems like it should be substantially better.

Oh well, now that the info is available maybe someone else can troubleshoot...
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2008
    1/200 seems a bit too slow to really get a good shot out of these... but that 1/1600 seems like it should be substantially better.
    That is WAY WAY too slow if the exif is correct for the action & focal length. I would'nt attempt those photos under 1/1600 Hindsy.

Find out how to set your shutter priority in the camera & set it to 1/1600 or 1/2000 & see how you go next time...i recon those blurs will disappear.

That camera in that light should return great sharp photos...you just need a good deal more shutter speed.
  • Options
    Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    They are all soft or blurred. A couple of them are missing parts of heads and tires. Shoot faster or learn to pan. Just some simple advice. Panning is really fun once you get it down.
  • Options
    Option1Option1 Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    I think you probably said it best yourself hindsy, "I really need to get reading and doing my homework..."

Also agree with Mark. In fact, it's sometimes not a bad idea to go to an event with the thought in mind of specifically practicing one or two particular aspects of shooting. For instance, shooting in shutter priority and panning. These two things are part and parcel of each other.

You can set shutter speed relatively high (e.g. 1/500) and pan shots with the bikes going across you. Then throughout the race and/or meeting gradually lower your shutter speeds. Gives you an idea how slow you can go while still maintaining image sharpness. You'll also notice how at the faster shutter speeds the bikes will look parked with the wheels frozen and the spokes clearly visible, while the slower you shoot the faster the bikes will look. :)

With the more head-on shots, you can shoot with much faster shutter speeds, but you still need to be sure you're holding the camera VERY steady - otherwise blurry shots.

Just a couple of quick thoughts.

Oh and that doesn't even begin to adjust post-processing images to bring out the best in them. However, the key really is to get it right at the absolute beginning - in the camera.

Persistence and practice are the key.

Hope that helps,
    Neil
    :: Sports: CompetitionImages.com :: Words: Blog :: Nature: www.motifwebs.com ::
  • Options
    shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    fuzyy fotos!
    wings.gif Hinsey
    Let's try setting shutter speed at 1/800 (shutter priority). That's one less thing the camera has to for each shot. Set the ISO to ...try 400. Take some test shots to see how the excposure looks. If dark, raise the ISO. The aperture will change as the lens is zoomed - in or out.
    I think the higher shutter soeed will help greatly. On the last shot with 1/1600 shutter, how close was that bike to and what is min focusing distance of that lens??? If the rider was within that min distance, then it can't focus.
    Using continuous AF? Should be. And start tracking the rider before hi/she gets to sot for best image. And shoot a few frames before he reaches that spot.
    Let's see what this 'testing' does for you.
    Keep shootin'
    Steve (shoppix)
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    Thanks everyone! I will be at the track every weekend till the snow starts flying again! then its on to the indoor activities! I hope I can get it... and stop shoot my fuzzy friends! lol
    Hindsy's X-treme Photos
  • Options
    Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Good luck! Post up your results.