Options

Lightroom output Capture 4.1?

photognjphotognj Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited July 14, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi,

I have been using Lightroom for a 6 months and like it for converting D3 RAW .

I just downloaded Phase One's Capture 4.1 and opened a folder of images from an outdoor concert. I was blown away at the color rendition--reds and yellow especially since I didn't make any changes to C1-4. Just straight output "as shot" -- beautiful rendition in the magic hour.

A comparision of the TIFFS outputted by LR and C1-4 were miles apart.
Images of a sunset were rendered so much better with C1-4, with LR the skies were a mottled mix of yellow and red/magenta splotches. Ugly.
The reds on a shirt I shot in the park looked red. In the LR version they looked a slightly washed out magenta/red.

I also noticed the temperature settings from another shoot were rendered differently. LR states "5000K" as sunny setting while C1-4 chooses "5200K".

I have the following settings for LR:

exposure 0
recovery 0
fill light 0
blacks 5

brightness 0(just changed this from 55)
contrast 0
clarity 55
vibrance 5
saturation 0

point curve medium contrast

I know C1-4 has a reputation for great color. But this test blows me away.

The LR images, when compared, lack the film-type output of C1-4. However, I need to use LR for work and need to improve it's color rendition.
What can I do?

Thanks.

What can I do to make LR output match C1-4?

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    photognj wrote:
    What can I do to make LR output match C1-4?

Exactly? Probably not possible. But you should be able to get closer to your rendering goals by altering the various sliders, keeping an eye on Calibrate Tab, then making a custom preset you'll use as a new default.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/