KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
edited April 5, 2005 in Holy Macro
?

18934385-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    Nice. Perhaps a little more sharpening for this size?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited April 5, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Nice. Perhaps a little more sharpening for this size?

The iris detail is not in focus. Tha lash line is in focus. The reflection of the photographer is not in focus. But I think the lack of focus on the iris and pupil is the biggest detriment. Not sure you can capture all of these in focus simultaneously. Usually iris detail is preferred. ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    The iris detail is not in focus. Tha lash line is in focus. The reflection of the photographer is not in focus. But I think the lack of focus on the iris and pupil is the biggest detriment. Not sure you can capture all of these in focus simultaneously. Usually iris detail is preferred. ne_nau.gif

I was too warm and fuzzy, too nonjudgemental to say this. Thanks Jim. I'll adjust my tone in the direction of prickely for future posts.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I was too warm and fuzzy, too nonjudgemental to say this. Thanks Jim. I'll adjust my tone in the direction of prickely for future posts.
    rolleyes1.gifroflthumb.gif
    I'm sure Khaos' tag line would say I lacked tact with that post, and I did not really mean to.ne_nau.gif
    The Lash Line is in focus. Macros of the eye are not easy to do well.

I think he has to choose whether his subject is the eye, in which case the iris and pupil need sharp, or the the reflection, in which case the reflection needs to be sharp. Neither are on my monitor. And a little sharpening is not going to correct that as you know, but a little fiddling with focus certainly might. Capturing reflections on the cornea will almost certainly require turning autofocus off, as it will almost always focus on the closer eye or lash line rather than the reflection.

• Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    Thanks, this the only way I can improve. Now I have a very difficult challenge in getting the focus on the reflection, should be fun.

The quote is showing how tact is not productive, it only encourages egos to continue to do what you find wrong.

I've always preffered honesty. I have a thick hide and an attitude that always longs to do better.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, they are helpful to me.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    Thanks, this the only way I can improve. Now I have a very difficult challenge in getting the focus on the reflection, should be fun.

The quote is showing how tact is not productive, it only encourages egos to continue to do what you find wrong.

I've always preffered honesty. I have a thick hide and an attitude that always longs to do better.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, they are helpful to me.thumb.gif
    Rereading my first post - it did come off as abrupt. That was not my intention. I was trying to be helpful and it seems to be accepted as meant. I agree that soft soaping evaluation of images is not very helpful to the shooter if their intent is to improve and I know that is your intest from other images you have posted. Keep up the good work.
    To capture the reflection form the cornea - think of it as a mirror - it is a mirror - the focal distance will be the distance to the cornea x 2 - and use manual focus.

Looking at the image again - I think you will need a little more light from the side or below - was this lit with a flash or a light from above? -the brow seems overexposed and the eye slightly under exposed - Maybe a flash aimed at the photographer, but snooted to avoid entering the lens of the camera ( or just above the lens axis) will increase the reflection OF THE SHOOTER to make it more vivid and noticeable as well. Just as thought.

• Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    Done with a flash. It wasn't a "planned" shot, so I had no bounce from the right side as I would of done if planned. Next time I think I may have her hold a white piece of paper and bounce from it upwards.

Maybe this weekend I'll try again.