caught red handed by davidoff
1% 1 vote
greed with a little gluttony by jwear
2% 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2005
    I Have A Question Regarding Challenge 35, Do You Have An Answer?
    Hello everyone,

I have a question that I hope can be answered by someone, or at least provide me some insight as to why this is happening. Challenge 34 was viewed 879 times and there were approximately 113 votes cast within the voting period.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=8412&highlight=vote+challenge

Challenge 33 was viewed 1250 times and 96 votes were cast in that challenge.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=7571&highlight=challenge+winner

Challenge 32 was viewed 993 times and there were 118 votes cast

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=6776&highlight=vote+challenge+winner

And so on…….

This challenge, challenge 35 The Seven Deadly Sins has only been viewed 299 times and there have only been 57 votes cast.

So why do I bring this up you might be asking yourself? Well I’m glad you asked.

Perhaps it’s because people are feeling slothful about this particular challenge which could be determined by the amount of entries that were entered into it. But because people found this challenge to be less then what was experienced in the past does that mean that your votes don’t count or are any less valuable? No. The participants in this challenge deserve just as much attention as was given to the past winners.

Perhaps I am out of place by speaking my mind, or perhaps maybe I’m feeling a bit greedy, or maybe even envious. Maybe I’m angry that in the past even though my entry didn’t make it and I thought it should, I still cast my vote for what I thought to be the best entry. Maybe I’m a glutton for punishment, entering into these challenges with the lust for the win. Maybe my pride is standing in the way?

Maybe………

Or maybe it’s just something simple. Maybe it’s just feeling that:

The greenegg

Flyinggina

Mongrel

Nzmacro

Mel

Landrum

Tmlphoto

Davidoff

Jwear

And of course, I deserve the same attention and respect that was given to others that came before us. Again it’s just a feeling that I have and in no way am I attempting to speak for any of the other entrants, they have their own opinions about this I’m sure.

So if nothing else, I at least learned more about the 7 deadly sins and got to experience each of them during this challenge. For that I have already won!

Thanks for letting me rant, have a nice day!

Joe B
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2005
    Joe B, I think the whole problem we encountered this challenge was the difficullty everyone had coming up with shots worthy of entering. Looking back on previous challenges I found;

Challenge 35 59 votes 18 entries 3.2 votes per entry
    Challenge 34 113 votes 60 entries 1.9 votes per entry
    Challenge 33 96 votes 52 entries 1.8 votes per entry

So actually if you look at the votes per entry, it was actually more this time than some previous challenges. In no way do I feel this is a bearing on the quality of the challenge entries, it's just a numbers thing.

I wouldn't sweat it. As Andy says, the important thing is YOU got out there and shot a picture that you would not normally have taken. YOU have expanded your knowledge of photography. thumb.gif
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2005
    Whats happened to 'Lust in Red'? Top of mans left hand index finger is a white pixel and at the end of the girls hair there is a wierd white mark...Any idea's?

As for voting on this challenge.....I'm usually drawn to one or two pic's but I can't see anything that takes my vote this time round...Sorry, I'm a miserable old sod at times.....ne_nau.gif

Bod.....
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2005
    Oh, Bodwick please don't mention that... I've been annoyed at that since the very beginning...
    I've been phrasing in my head a plea to Andy to let me fix that. It bugs me sooo much.
    The program I used had a glitch and put that screwy little square pixel thing there and the white dot. The picture was fine at first, look at my thread, but when I was trying to make the skin between the shirt and the pants less noticeable, which I've completed, those stupid pixels came in there! I'm so frustrated. When I put the pic up I didn't notice because when it comes up on the screen sometimes it overfills the screen and I don't see it all and since I was only fixing one part I didn't notice the other parts which were suppose to stay the same. But then when I saw it in the challenge thread I was upset.
    So, why I'm at it.
    Andy, could you please let me post the picture that I meant to post and not that screwy one?
    See, look, all fixed.
    God, I rant too much.
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2005
    Oh, Bodwick please don't mention that... I've been annoyed at that since the very beginning...
    I've been phrasing in my head a plea to Andy to let me fix that. It bugs me sooo much.
    The program I used had a glitch and put that screwy little square pixel thing there and the white dot. The picture was fine at first, look at my thread, but when I was trying to make the skin between the shirt and the pants less noticeable, which I've completed, those stupid pixels came in there! I'm so frustrated. When I put the pic up I didn't notice because when it comes up on the screen sometimes it overfills the screen and I don't see it all and since I was only fixing one part I didn't notice the other parts which were suppose to stay the same. But then when I saw it in the challenge thread I was upset.
    So, why I'm at it.
    Andy, could you please let me post the picture that I meant to post and not that screwy one?
    See, look, all fixed.
    God, I rant too much.
    Ashley
    Ok Ashley, I'll never mention it again.thumb.gif
    I read your thread and never noticed the problem there that was why I mentioned(the unmentionable) here...
    Feel free to rant as much as you want......rolleyes1.gif

Go on Andy as it was a program glich why don't you change it....It would look a lot better for a possible competition winner...

Bod...
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2005
    imax wrote:
    Hello everyone,

And of course, I deserve the same attention and respect that was given to others that came before us. Again it’s just a feeling that I have and in no way am I attempting to speak for any of the other entrants, they have their own opinions about this I’m sure.

So if nothing else, I at least learned more about the 7 deadly sins and got to experience each of them during this challenge. For that I have already won!

Thanks for letting me rant, have a nice day!

Joe B

I used to feel that way, actually. I don't really anymore, but I did enter a non finalist entry that I did not really work on.

In the olden days when I was new to this place, like last summer, we didn't have many entrants, nor many voters. And if we didn't have a certain number of entrants, the finalists were cut down. We never had a lot of voters. In the last few months this challenge has grown. Alot.

How do I feel? About the challenge: kind of down. OK, I did win twice, but not when there were all the entries there are now. If I work really hard at the challenge I am no more likely to win it than if I just throw a shot in. I have some other interests now. But I do think the challenge generally introduces me to concepts I might not have had otherwise.

But if something is bothering me about the challenge. If I no longer like it well enough to work it, and it goes on.........how else can I have my voice heard besides no longer working it. Posting about it is talking to the wind, IMO. Or makes me sound like a sore loser, which I will be honest enough to say I have been in the past. Didn't care that much this time or the last time, or whatever.

I did enter the last challenge, and I did vote. I have no knowledge of lasers and this old dog, here, can learn lots of new tricks, but lasers are not on my list of priorities. I carry a flashlight in my backpack for self protection, and keep one in the house for electricity failures. I never did see much fun in playing with them. Really, I could not be less interested. I don't feel real good, I am quite involved with the birds right now, and some other things. Would like to read a book sometime. I will vote, probably, but won't enter unless there is a strong reason for me to.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2005
    I did not take part in this challenge. At first I could not come up with an idea for a decent picture. Then my computer died and I could not upload pictures if I had any. But, I am really impressed with what other people came up with here. I voted for my favorite. I always vote unless I forget or something. Congratulations to all of you who took part. Whether you made the finals or not, you gave your imagination and creativity a workout and learned and grew as a photographer. I didn't. I just got angry and frustrated at not having a 'puter. I really love all the creative shots you came up with. So much fun!
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Hi, Ashley
    I just wanted to let you know you can change your picture for the contest as many times as you want. Just make sure you have the one you want uploaded by the contest deadline time. I hope you have a good week.
    Congrats on winning the contest! thumb.gif
    Keep up the good work.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    USA Photography: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/usa_photography

So, why I'm at it.
    See, look, all fixed.
    God, I rant too much.
    Ashley
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com