A side trip

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited April 3, 2004 in Landscapes
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In 1849, Dr. Robert Orville Tripp, a dentist, arrived in Woodside, CA to recuperate from an illness, and stayed to establish a business and a home. He and his friend, M.A. Parkhurst went into the lumber business in partnership with some San Francisco builders. They opened a direct road from the redwood forests to the head of the tidewater in Redwood Creek -- now the heart of Redwood City. The lumber was dragged by oxen teams over this road and floated by raft to San Francisco. By 1855, there were at least eight sawmills and one shingle mill in Woodside. As the lower hills were timbered out, the mills were moved up the canyons and over the hills.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Meanwhile, Dr. Tripp and Parkhurst had opened the Woodside Store on King's Mountain Road, which is now preserved as a San Mateo County museum. He continued his practice of dentistry, and in 1851 was elected a supervisor of San Mateo County. Until his death in 1909, Dr. Tripp operated the store with a post office serving customers from as far away as San Mateo and Half Moon Bay.
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]source.
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3239595-L.jpg
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3239597-L.jpg
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
3239599-L.jpg
[/font]

3240234-L.jpg
[/font]

3239593-L.jpg
[/font]
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2004
    The full door shot seems kinda plain, not sure what you were going for, but I love the rest of them. And particularly the shot of the BMW :-).

Oh, I get it, the door isn't square. Cool.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2004
    jimf wrote:

Oh, I get it, the door isn't square. Cool.
    I don't think that door has been opened in 50 years. In fact, there's no lock in it. :)
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson