Options

Suggestions for shooting in San Fransisco

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
Hi Guys,

Go to San Francisco in about two weeks and would like to get an idea of places in the city to do some great walk around photography. Of course I will probably check out the bridge and Golden Gate Park, but what else??

I’m trying to avoid the ‘Tourist Death Traps.’ You know, pictures of the cable cars, etc. Been there, done that. You’ve seen those pics on a billion postcards. What am I looking for you ask? I love urban color and great contrasts, architecture. Abstract images and simple arraignments.

Maybe a cultural event that is happening on June 22nd? Thinking of going on down to Chinatown which is a bit of a cliché perhaps, but great colors and people shots.

Anyone have an idea. FWIW, I will have the super wide-angle Nikon 12-24 and super sharp 70-200mm VR lens.
Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    believe it is called the Palace of Art..... saw once but did not get to photo it....
    GG from the Sausilito side in the Early morn to capture sunrise with fog........ night scape of SF from the Treasure Island side....... down the small streets off of Pier 39..... I got some great photos of fisherman when I was there.... of course the group of people I was with was afraid to slink into those dark pathways with me .... even in DAYLIGHT........ watch out for flying squab...... it is everywhere................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Marin Headlands. On the marin side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Go 1/2 hour before sunset (with fog sometimes it sets early). Also check the moonrise time you may be able to get the 'set then the moonrise at dark.

sunset above fog

189326524_ooDfz-M.jpg
    Rags
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    believe it is called the Palace of Art..... saw once but did not get to photo it....

The Palace of Fine Arts. Its a great building but last time I was there it was under construction. Its still worth checking out.

217061669_ScsoE-M-1.jpg

Rodeo Beach in Marin Headlands is a great place for sunsets and birds:

228174406_xmJKj-M-1.jpg

Fort Point is one of my favorites, but bring a tripod. It also has great views of the bridge:

173596770_SBAff-M.jpg

Chinatown is a great place for street photography

131513286_4mxJA-M.jpg

There are lots of great places to shoot. I'll see if I can come up with some more.
  • Options
    PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    net1994 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Go to San Francisco in about two weeks and would like to get an idea of places in the city to do some great walk around photography. Of course I will probably check out the bridge and Golden Gate Park, but what else??

I’m trying to avoid the ‘Tourist Death Traps.’ You know, pictures of the cable cars, etc. Been there, done that. You’ve seen those pics on a billion postcards. What am I looking for you ask? I love urban color and great contrasts, architecture. Abstract images and simple arraignments.

Maybe a cultural event that is happening on June 22nd? Thinking of going on down to Chinatown which is a bit of a cliché perhaps, but great colors and people shots.

Anyone have an idea. FWIW, I will have the super wide-angle Nikon 12-24 and super sharp 70-200mm VR lens.

Where to start!

Given your preferences, I'd suggest spending time in the mission district, good urban, edgy stuff. Get off at 16 or 24th and wander Mission, Valencia, etc between say 15th and 26th. And if you are feeling brave there are some great waterfront and graffiti / urban landscapes all along mission bay through to Hunters Point.

Also, for architectural try Embarcadero at the Ferry Building and wander back through the financial district.

If you want some different but excellent landscapes and tree shots, try Presidio park.

PM for detailed locations.

Cheers
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    torags wrote:
    Marin Headlands. On the marin side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Go 1/2 hour before sunset (with fog sometimes it sets early). Also check the moonrise time you may be able to get the 'set then the moonrise at dark.

sunset above fog

189326524_ooDfz-M.jpg

Wow! Can you give me an address or link to google maps so I can add this to possible spots to visit for my trip to CA in July/August - thanks :)
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Wow! Can you give me an address or link to google maps so I can add this to possible spots to visit for my trip to CA in July/August - thanks :)

That looks like it was taken near Hawk Hill which is on Conzelman Road in the Marin Headlands, just north of the Golden Gate bridge. Cross the bridge on 101 and get off at the Sausalito exit and follow the signs for the Marin Headlands. You want Conzelman Road (which goes up the hill) rather than Bunker Road (which goes through a one lane tunnel). Some of the best views of the bridge and the city are from this road, but if you keep driving past the intersection with McCullough Road, you can park at the top of the hill and hike around a bit for great views out toward Point Bonita.

My guess is this shot was taken from very close to the same location.
    312633031_Mg47a-M.jpg

Here is a view from Conzelman Road back toward the city
    248747997_sQmue-M.jpg

Note that on a clear day everybody and his brother heads up there with his camera so you won't be alone.
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Map
    I've posted this before and hope that folks find it helpful.

Here's my Google Map of Bay Area photo locations.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    a few more ideas...
    The Chihuly exhibit at the DeYoung Museum allows photography (no tripod or flash). It's very cool if you're into glass art. Bring a beanbag or gorillapod or something and shoot from walls and floor. The DeYoung itself is a great subject for architectural photography, both indoors and out.

Maybe check out some urban gardens, such as the one next to the Transamerica pyramid. There are even some public roof gardens... two of them, including my favorite, are accessible through the Galleria shopping center. (Ask for assistance--they're not so easy to find.) Those tend to be wide open (no one else there) and are quite beautiful.

The fountains in Levi Strauss plaza and the beautiful Filbert Steps that rise from a block away are both worthwhile.
  • Options
    SaloSVSaloSV Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    All this advice and nobody mentions Golden Gate Park?!? headscratch.gif

You can get a pic of a real live Buffalo there, right in the middle of the City! Plus there is the Rose Garden, and some new art museum they just built there a couple of years ago.

But all the other places mentioned are good. Too many places to mention without being vague. It all depends on what you want to shoot. I personally love the Sunset district, lived there for a few years. Allbeit, if you go this time of year you'll get sand in your equipment, too much wind.

Best time to go is October or even in Dec or Jan, that way you can catch some shots of the BIG waves at Ocean Beach. :ivar

Of course, I just remembered they had an oil spill there last year. So it might not be that pretty anymore.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    SaloSV wrote:
    All this advice and nobody mentions Golden Gate Park?!? headscratch.gif

You can get a pic of a real live Buffalo there, right in the middle of the City! Plus there is the Rose Garden, and some new art museum they just built there a couple of years ago.

Second that. Many good places to shoot. I like going to the Japanese Tea Garden when I visit. Not sure now, but last spring the museum was under some heavy construction.

SF is an amazingly photogenic city with too many places to shoot for one visit. After two recent visits myself, I still have lots of places I want to hit & some I'd like to shoot again.
  • Options
    ban25ban25 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    As others have mentioned: Marin Headlands (Point Bonita), the Presidio, Coit Tower, and Treasure Island.

200984126_D5ex2-S-1.jpg
    205485896_sKQMU-S-1.jpg
    210829920_dvDJj-S.jpg
    326158105_FgvTd-S.jpg
  • Options
    blusterydayblusteryday Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 17, 2008
    This thread is so timely, as I'll be heading to SF next Friday on vacation! Thanks so much, all! :D