Options

Stuttgart & Hechingen

explorishexplorish Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
edited July 18, 2008 in Journeys
Since i was already at the airport, i thought of taking a quick look at the city. Asked Jane to take me to the centre, some parking closeby. And I emerged on the surface directly in the Schillerplatz, lively on a Sunday fresh fruit market.

DSC_8364.JPG

The big church on the left turned out to be the cathedral

DSC_8300.JPG

Wanted to get in, but it was opening only at 10, it was only half past 9, so i went on looking for the “centre”. Turned out i was right next to the big square with the 2 palaces, the new (big one in front) and old (just a part is seen, on the right).

DSC_8322.JPG

Went inside the old one, has a cool court

DSC_8310.JPG

Back to the main square

DSC_8320.JPG

i played a bit with some aquatic photos

DSC_8338.JPG

and turned back to Schillerplatz

DSC_8350.JPG

from where i suddenly felt like cherries. Mmmm. There was a fountain close to the church, perfect for washing and enjoying the cherries

DSC_8361.JPG

before moving on to the next objective of the day: Hechingen.

I had heard about Hechingen from Ms. S and Mr. N, our hosts in München, who described it as an insider tip - the most famous Hohenzollern castle is at Sigmaringen, but this one, at Hechingen, is a hidden gem.

And when I saw it from far away

DSC_8377.JPG

it reminded me of a book with germanic fairytales from when i was a kid, where they were talking about a dark count of Zollern.
And indeed, i was to find out that this hill was called Zollern hill, and at its top

DSC_8378.JPG

was the impressive Hohenzollern fortress, site of origin for the famous royal family of Hohenzollern.

DSC_8451.JPG

Walked up on a steep path with a green sealing

DSC_8447.JPG

to finally get to the fortress gate.

DSC_8392.JPG

To get to the courtyard you had to pass through a spiraled way guarded by a tall wall

DSC_8438.JPG

and then through a tunnel

DSC_8393.JPG

where you could see stuff like this through the windows

DSC_8443.JPG

and bang, the main courtyard

castel.jpg

of course featuring a canon, skillfully operated by a brave warrior.

DSC_8413.JPG

Did the fortress tour, guided, unfortunately no pictures. Pretty neat. One of the highlights was the family tree right at the beginning, featuring Carol I, Carol II, Ferdinand I and Michael I of Romania - the kings of Romania between 1881 and 1947 were from the Hohenzollern family.
After the tour, i checked out the dungeons (is this the word?), where you can see the rock which the foundation was built on, and some cool corridors.

DSC_8428.JPG

Out in the sun again, i enjoyed a traditional german gourmet meal - sausage and french fries, and, after a last look at Svabia extending beautifully in front of our eyes,

DSC_8419.JPG

I left.
The best thing about a photo is the journey that brought you to it.

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    These are wonderful that fort is amazing !!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Could you post them bigger? Bigger pictures = wings.gif:D

Were you able to get closer to Hohenzollern fortress?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Looks like a great trip, nice photos. The castle is very well preserved. Most of the ones that I have visited in Germany are ruins.
  • Options
    explorishexplorish Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    thanks.
    done. and for the next journey as well :)
    The best thing about a photo is the journey that brought you to it.
  • Options
    SassyShotsSassyShots Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Wow .. what a wonderful journey you took us on! Great shots and awesome variety.
    Debi
    Canon 40D
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    SassyShots wrote:
    Wow .. what a wonderful journey you took us on! Great shots and awesome variety.
    Great Shots! Dude, what's with all these people tramping around my neighborhood and not telling me? If you come back let me know and we'' visit the world's largest abandoned steel mill in Saarbrucken.
    Cave ab homine unius libri