Options

Wow! That was Work! (10 imgs)

shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
edited July 19, 2008 in Weddings
My wife doesn't like me to shoot weddings, so when her good friend recently asked me to shoot her sister's...I told her she would have to ask my wife. Hey! What are friends for? She said yes.

We started shooting outside at 12 noon. Not a cloud in the sky and it was hot.

I haven't shot a wedding for over a year. I forgot how much energy it takes. Hats off to all of you wedding photogs!!:clap Question. Do you all need a shower after a wedding? I was dripping.

Anyway, here are a couple of the photos.

1)
332815509_9xR63-L.jpg

2)
334246244_VTQxM-L.jpg

3)
332905836_oPG43-L.jpg

4)
332912712_v97pD-L.jpg

5)
334248810_aEhg6-L.jpg

6)
334250391_roBjJ-L.jpg

7)
333161865_NQFMg-L.jpg

8)
333169367_j3Bu4-L.jpg

9)
333181092_LgxPN-L.jpg

10)
The Aunt made the cake. I loved her intensity as she placed the flowers.
333196081_E6KoF-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    I think it all came back to you--some terrific shots! That one of the aunt with the cake is a prize-winner, IMO.

Thanks for sharing,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    I'm sure couple will be very happy!! You have variety of diferent prespectives here, did you happen to use on camera flash? Just wondering.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Some wonderful shots....did you use an ultra wide for the up-shots of the couple with the church and sky background?
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I'm sure couple will be very happy!! You have variety of diferent prespectives here, did you happen to use on camera flash? Just wondering.

I had an 580EX on a pole with the Bride's nephew following us around. Used it a lot. I think David Hobbie calls him a "voice activated light source". I was glad he worked with us.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Some wonderful shots....did you use an ultra wide for the up-shots of the couple with the church and sky background?

10-22mm. Fun lens.
    Thanks for the comments.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    redleash wrote:
    I think it all came back to you--some terrific shots! That one of the aunt with the cake is a prize-winner, IMO.

Thanks for sharing,
    Lauren

Thanks Lauren. That one of the aunt is one of my favorites as well.
  • Options
    staypuffinpcstaypuffinpc Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    which temple?
    Is that Bountiful? Great pics, btw. Like the angles.
    {something witty here}
  • Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Great shots! I have quite a bit to aspire to here :)
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Yes....at least I do. (sweat during weddings!)

You have some very nice photos here that are exceptionally well lit. Now....where are the shots from the actual wedding?:D

Nice job....they have no choice BUT to be pleased!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    Is that Bountiful? Great pics, btw. Like the angles.

Rexburg Idaho Temple

Thanks for the comments.
  • Options
    1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Very nice framing in these. I like the assymetry in 2 and 5, yet the couple still feels like the "center" of the photo.

Based on 3 & 10, I'm sure you got some more great close-up shots, but the majority here are a little distant -- although there were really only a couple I wanted to crop a little, those being 7 & 9.

Congratulations on some nice work; I believe this might be the first time I've commented on wedding pics, but I do think you've got something special going here thumb.gif
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    mmroden wrote:
    Great shots! I have quite a bit to aspire to here :)

You are too kind. My shots are still amateur. Looking at other photogs here, I too have a lot to aspire to as well.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Yes....at least I do. (sweat during weddings!)

You have some very nice photos here that are exceptionally well lit. Now....where are the shots from the actual wedding?:D

Nice job....they have no choice BUT to be pleased!clap.gif

Thanks jeffreaux2! I appreciate your comments. I have learned a lot from your photos and really like your style.

As for the actual wedding. The LDS temple is considered a sacred place. A place where when they enter, they are literally stepping into the House of the Lord. Because of their belief, they ask that all cameras and cell phones be checked at the front desk so the wedding won't have any distracting elements and the couple and those in attendance can focus 100% on the marriage covenants and commitment they are entering into. So...no photos of the actual ceremony.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    1pocket wrote:
    Very nice framing in these. I like the assymetry in 2 and 5, yet the couple still feels like the "center" of the photo.

Based on 3 & 10, I'm sure you got some more great close-up shots, but the majority here are a little distant -- although there were really only a couple I wanted to crop a little, those being 7 & 9.

Congratulations on some nice work; I believe this might be the first time I've commented on wedding pics, but I do think you've got something special going here thumb.gif

Wow...thanks 1pocket for the detailed thoughts on these shots. You are very kind to share. I do have a lot more close up shots, but I just liked some of these for the surrounding highlights/environment they were in. After leaving the temple grounds, we went to the BYU Idaho gardens. They had some fun pockets of photographic landscapes. Thanks again.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Absolutely gorgeous shots, shatch!!! I love the veil shot....such life there, and usually that shot is executed with a very contrived feeling. I love the composition in #5 and 8 is just spectacular, a lot going on here compositionally but its at once layered and simple. Might clone out OOF flower in left hand foreground (I've been staring at this one, yah!) iloveyou.gif

Just an FYI, watch the blue banding from saturating/vignetting sky in #2...I've been burned on that before, it shows up a lot more in printing.

Gorgeous, gorgeous images and hat's off to you for surviving! thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Absolutely gorgeous shots, shatch!!! I love the veil shot....such life there, and usually that shot is executed with a very contrived feeling. I love the composition in #5 and 8 is just spectacular, a lot going on here compositionally but its at once layered and simple. Might clone out OOF flower in left hand foreground (I've been staring at this one, yah!) iloveyou.gif

Just an FYI, watch the blue banding from saturating/vignetting sky in #2...I've been burned on that before, it shows up a lot more in printing.

Gorgeous, gorgeous images and hat's off to you for surviving! thumb.gif

Thank you urbanaries! The info on blue banding is very much appreciative. I added that in Lightroom. Will it still band bad?

The veil shot was sooo easy as the bride and groom did what I asked, but acted as if they were in their own world. It was good.

I totally missed that out of focus flower. How can that be? Thanks!

Thanks again for the very kind complements and helpful improvements.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Thanks jeffreaux2! I appreciate your comments. I have learned a lot from your photos and really like your style.

As for the actual wedding. The LDS temple is considered a sacred place. A place where when they enter, they are literally stepping into the House of the Lord. Because of their belief, they ask that all cameras and cell phones be checked at the front desk so the wedding won't have any distracting elements and the couple and those in attendance can focus 100% on the marriage covenants and commitment they are entering into. So...no photos of the actual ceremony.

Hmmmff!mwink.gif

Any chance I will get off that easy tommorrow?:D

Just kidding....I know you worked hard for what you got...and have the results to show for it. Most church lighting though was installed by electricians....not photographers. No ceremony photos would be fine by me!!!mwink.gif
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Thank you urbanaries! The info on blue banding is very much appreciative. I added that in Lightroom. Will it still band bad?

It might be worth a test print, but my bad experience was in lightroom, too, I think I had taken the blue saturation, hue and luminance a bit too far, and with the added vignette it didn't render well in an 8x10. YMMV

And again, lovely set and lighting. One ?, you said you had "voice activated lighting"....seriously, how were you triggering the 580s from that distance? (esp in #9)
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    It might be worth a test print, but my bad experience was in lightroom, too, I think I had taken the blue saturation, hue and luminance a bit too far, and with the added vignette it didn't render well in an 8x10. YMMV

And again, lovely set and lighting. One ?, you said you had "voice activated lighting"....seriously, how were you triggering the 580s from that distance? (esp in #9)

Are you printing from your Smugmug site?

On the lighting...triggered with a set of Pocket Wizards. I would set the flash (intensity and zoom settings), then position the light on the pole and have the nephew "hold it right there". I believe the range of the PWs is around 1600' depending on the battery level and signal blockers. The new Radio poppers may be an option if you want to keep the ttl technology. I don't have any but they sound very interesting.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Are you printing from your Smugmug site?

On the lighting...triggered with a set of Pocket Wizards. I would set the flash (intensity and zoom settings), then position the light on the pole and have the nephew "hold it right there". I believe the range of the PWs is around 1600' depending on the battery level and signal blockers. The new Radio poppers may be an option if you want to keep the ttl technology. I don't have any but they sound very interesting.

Yes...the radio poppers do sound interesting....I have been keeping an eye on the development of them.

In other news....

I sometimes see banding like that in Smugmug web sized photos ....but not in full size. A test print is an excellent idea....even if only 4x6.
  • Options
    LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Radio Poppers are to die for, they work as advertised. I don't leave home without them :D
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Hmmmff!mwink.gif

Any chance I will get off that easy tommorrow?:D

Just kidding....I know you worked hard for what you got...and have the results to show for it. Most church lighting though was installed by electricians....not photographers. No ceremony photos would be fine by me!!!mwink.gif

You are right about the electricians vs photographers. I did shoot a couple ceremonies in buildings that had terrible lighting. Good luck tomorrow. But I believe you will do amazing well as usual. Look forward to seeing the highlights.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    LensCap wrote:
    Radio Poppers are to die for, they work as advertised. I don't leave home without them :D

Quite affordable too as I remember.
  • Options
    LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Quite affordable too as I remember.

$180 each
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    I don't understand why she doesn't want you shooting weddings after seeing this. headscratch.gif

How do PW's trigger a 580EX?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I don't understand why she doesn't want you shooting weddings after seeing this. headscratch.gif

How do PW's trigger a 580EX?

She would rather me be home with the family (which I too think is a good idea) instead of out shooting a wedding for cheap to free.

The PW's activate the flash in manual mode. It acts as a trip only. It doesn't convey any information from the camera other than, "set off the flash NOW!" signal. I have to manually adjust the flash for output so it is a little more hands on.