Options

Tired child

jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
edited April 3, 2004 in People
IMG_1161_RJ.sized.jpg

I guess I got her pretty tired playing hide-and-seek all morning, she took one bite of her peanut butter sandwich and just conked out on the table.

1/15th f/2.8 70mm.
jim frost
jimf@frostbytes.com

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    Great pic, jim. clap.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    jimf wrote:
    IMG_1161_RJ.sized.jpg

I guess I got her pretty tired playing hide-and-seek all morning, she took one bite of her peanut butter sandwich and just conked out on the table.

1/15th f/2.8 70mm.

Wonderful shot!!!
    Kudos.
    ginette clap.gif
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2004
    jimf wrote:
    IMG_1161_RJ.sized.jpg

1/15th f/2.8 70mm.
    I missed this one jim, lovely shot.:D
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2004
    lynnma wrote:

Yea, one of my all-time favorites.

So I'm in Zeff Photo (Belmont, MA) today picking up stuff I need for the Portraiture class I started the other day. Our first homework assignment is to bring in our favorite portrait so I picked out a few of my favorites to print, including this one. Then I spent another hour and a half with salespeople getting miscellaneous stuff.

As I'm finally getting checked out the digital printer person comes over and tells me they love that shot and would like to feature it on their "customer work" board (in trade for a framed 8x10 and a discount on my printing). Pretty cool.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2004
    jimf wrote:
    Yea, one of my all-time favorites.

So I'm in Zeff Photo (Belmont, MA) today picking up stuff I need for the Portraiture class I started the other day. Our first homework assignment is to bring in our favorite portrait so I picked out a few of my favorites to print, including this one. Then I spent another hour and a half with salespeople getting miscellaneous stuff.

As I'm finally getting checked out the digital printer person comes over and tells me they love that shot and would like to feature it on their "customer work" board (in trade for a framed 8x10 and a discount on my printing). Pretty cool.
    Very cool... I can see why they would lol. I'm envious about your portraiture class, I need help badly. Please pass on any vital bits of info... I'm just getting into portraits and am always self taught in everything... (stuck here in Athol). I'm looking forward to seeing some of your portraits.
    Lynn
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Very cool... I can see why they would lol. I'm envious about your portraiture class, I need help badly. Please pass on any vital bits of info...

The course should be really good but it sure is a hit on the pocket -- and not even so much for the tuition. I think there is only one other person in the class who is not a professional. I had to go get a lot of stuff I don't have; mostly inexpensive, but light meters are not cheap these days. I do get the ability to buy the Educational version of Photoshop CS, though, which is a heck of a nice deal.

Tips from the first class:

If you want a vignette filter, don't pay good money for it. Instead, buy a cheap photo album from CVS and rip the clear plastic part off of the page(s). Place a 35mm film cap (or something similar) on it, and from a height of about 18" do a squirt of black paint. One squirt is 1/2 stop, 2 squirts is 1 stop. Remove the cap and cut out the center and viola, you have a cheap vignette filter.

For a clear center, blurred edge filter do the same thing except use clear fingernail polish instead of paint.

The professor, Art Rainville, is apparently a pretty well known portrait artist. (The fact I don't know him is perhaps an indication of how clueless I am; Ansel Adam, Herb Ritts, and Annie Leibovitz are about my limit. :-) He's a riot, very pleasant to learn from. And it's funny to hear him talk about why he doesn't use top-dollar stuff for this kind of thing anymore.

For instance, he talked about the expensive glass soft focus filters he used to use. Well, he says, over the course of a wedding shoot if you pull it off of course you put it in your pocket. Then, when you head over to the bar for a drink and lean over to rest against the bar, you'll probably be less concerned about the blood seeping through your shirt than the fact you just shattered a $150 filter. So now he uses cheap Cokin plastic filters. They work, they're not expensive, and they don't break easily.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2004
    jimf wrote:
    The course should be really good but it sure is a hit on the pocket -- and not even so much for the tuition. I think there is only one other person in the class who is not a professional. I had to go get a lot of stuff I don't have; mostly inexpensive, but light meters are not cheap these days. I do get the ability to buy the Educational version of Photoshop CS, though, which is a heck of a nice deal.

Tips from the first class:

If you want a vignette filter, don't pay good money for it. Instead, buy a cheap photo album from CVS and rip the clear plastic part off of the page(s). Place a 35mm film cap (or something similar) on it, and from a height of about 18" do a squirt of black paint. One squirt is 1/2 stop, 2 squirts is 1 stop. Remove the cap and cut out the center and viola, you have a cheap vignette filter.

For a clear center, blurred edge filter do the same thing except use clear fingernail polish instead of paint.

The professor, Art Rainville, is apparently a pretty well known portrait artist. (The fact I don't know him is perhaps an indication of how clueless I am; Ansel Adam, Herb Ritts, and Annie Leibovitz are about my limit. :-) He's a riot, very pleasant to learn from. And it's funny to hear him talk about why he doesn't use top-dollar stuff for this kind of thing anymore.

For instance, he talked about the expensive glass soft focus filters he used to use. Well, he says, over the course of a wedding shoot if you pull it off of course you put it in your pocket. Then, when you head over to the bar for a drink and lean over to rest against the bar, you'll probably be less concerned about the blood seeping through your shirt than the fact you just shattered a $150 filter. So now he uses cheap Cokin plastic filters. They work, they're not expensive, and they don't break easily.
    Thank you Jim.. great stuff, I'm all ears so please if it's not a bore and a bind keep it coming.thumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited April 3, 2004
    jimf wrote:
    ................................... And it's funny to hear him talk about why he doesn't use top-dollar stuff for this kind of thing anymore.

Sounds like a true voice of experience - I love this story!! Use what works and what you need and no more!! Great story, Jimf
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    tgametgame Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2004
    Great
    What an opportunity - and what a great shot!

jimf wrote:
    IMG_1161_RJ.sized.jpg

1/15th f/2.8 70mm.
    Regards,

Tony Game.

http://www.candlet.plus.com/
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2004
    One of my sleeping babes...
    lynnma wrote:
    Here's one of my sleeping babe shots... Not nearly as fun as Jim's though...
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."