Options

Third Party Services

WickedfoolWickedfool Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited July 21, 2008 in Finishing School
Does everyone in this community edit their own photos or does anyone use a third party to correct color and such? If you use a third party, who do you use?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited July 20, 2008
    Wickedfool wrote:
    Does everyone in this community edit their own photos or does anyone use a third party to correct color and such? If you use a third party, who do you use?

Thanks

The overwhelming majority of Dgrinners do their own PP work.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    If you're looking for an easy way out for post processing, you might consider the heavy discount available on i2e.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Wickedfool wrote:

Thanks

This has been my problem also.....if you're shooting 2 weddings on Saaturday, 1 on Sunday (7th Day Adventists) not to mention mid week weddings for Buddhist and Hindus or Greek Orthodox , 3-7 portraits per day during the week....(this was my schedule when shooting film)......how can you possibly do your own processing.....with film it was simple...shoot, take to trusted Pro Lab and pic up proofs in a few days....schedule days for viewing proofs and taking orders.......Digital, I was told would make things even easier....YEAH RIGHT!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited July 20, 2008
    As busy as you are, Art, I would suggest you try shooting RAW + jpgs, with a custom white balance. CF cards are cheap these days.

If the jpgs are perfect, then you are done; but you have the back up of RAW in case you need to edit them.

In a studio with control of lighting, and white balance, I see nothing wrong with high quality jpgs. White balance and exposure are critical elements for great out of the camera jpgs, but in a studio, that should be rather easy for you. A bit harder to control in the free for all of a wedding shoot.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    As busy as you are, Art, I would suggest you try shooting RAW + jpgs, with a custom white balance. CF cards are cheap these days.

If the jpgs are perfect, then you are done; but you have the back up of RAW in case you need to edit them.

In a studio with control of lighting, and white balance, I see nothing wrong with high quality jpgs. White balance and exposure are critical elements for great out of the camera jpgs, but in a studio, that should be rather easy for you. A bit harder to control in the free for all of a wedding shoot.

that is how busy I was when shooting film......in my previous life as a concert, wedding and portrait photographer......I was really hoping that digital would make things easier as I was told it would by a colleague of mine here..........lol lol lol lol roflmao

I have always shot R+Jpg.......but I have never been satisified...also the size of a Lg Jpg is rather small compared to a Raw converted to a 12 Quality jpg................I do not shoot in studio.....even when I owned one in down town Wichita...I hardly ever shot there.....I prefer to be barefoot out with Mother Nature and my clients or at the clients place of abode:D
    It is this dilemma that has kept me from returning to making a living out of digital....as it is now ever 1 hour of shooting makes for several hours in the "darkroom"........I need to sleep sometime to be coherent with clients:D...but then I have ,lost "real jobs" because I have a wedding paying me more for one days shooting than I make in almost a month being paid by the hour.....of course the real job has insurance and such.....but the price of FREEEDOM..........rightthumb.gif

Been told I am just too picky on the processing I should have all my PP'ing set in actions and stop doing the 1 frame at a time thing....

MY real gripe with digital is knowing I can shoot and shoot and ever run out of film...so to speak.....let's face it 8gb card in a 6 or 8 mp camera is a freaking lot of frames and I get carried away at some portrait or model shoots....with film I was smarter...I carried one roll of 35 or 2 rolls of 120 and that was it....now I have 1 8gb card in each camera.........so I can shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot......can't get it under control....it is like and addiction:cry:cry:cry:cry
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    webwizardwebwizard Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Art,
    You answered the question I have been asking myself since I started down the digital highway. When I shot film, it seemed I had lots of time to improve my behind camera skills. I was told and believed that the more I shot the better I would become. Now I spend many more hours in post production than I do shooting.

I love to shoot outdoors and when I do, I know I'm letting myself in for hours and hours of time at the computers. And there is so much software and sooo much to learn.

Everytime I visit the forum, I learn about another book or website or another tool or technique I can use in post processing. There is so much that can be done to enhance the feel of a photo its hard to know when is enough.

At least I know i'm not crazy. Or if I am I have plenty of company. Thanks to all on this forum who have answered my questions and helped my process.