Options

Southern Africa

VoguesVogues Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited July 21, 2008 in Journeys
I recently got back from Southern Africa (Botswana and South Africa). I went on safari and got some great shots I wanted to share. This is my first time posting in here so comment and critique but be nice please.

These were primarily taken on safari in the Okavango Delta region of Botswana. I went on safari with my family and we went to three different campgrounds. This first set is from a camp called Savuti. We came upon 4 lions at this zebra kill and I loved getting the gory shots of them eating. The lioness doesn't have a name but the male is known as Silver Eye because of his...well, silver eye. (cataract, perhaps?). Silver Eye was wiped out because he was mating the female. Lions do 'it' every 15 minutes for THREE days to fully fertilize the lioness.

335004817_mCCmP-S.jpg

335004630_72VEq-S.jpg

This is still at Savuti camp. The warthogs were quite charming and this is a mother and child. The normally have no more than 3 babies but she had four!
335004740_ZdoZK-S.jpg

Still at Savuti we came across this elephant. We had some much better elephant sightings but my heart went out to this bull. He was really old, probably around 50 and had left the herd and was essentially waiting to die. Elephants rarely die of old age. They have 6 sets of teeth (as opposed to our two) and once they make it though those 6 sets they will die of starvation.
335004870_tsV97-S.jpg

This is a lion track on the shores of Kwetsani Camp actually in the delta. I took it after riding in the regions indiginous boat called a mokoro (sp?). Kind of like an African gondola.
335005355_aJ66i-S.jpg

and finally a lion at Chitabi camp surveying the area for his girlfriend. He was hungry and wanted to go fetch her to hunt for him. She was hiding from him in the grass. Typical men ;)
335005287_yNwAz-S.jpg

I should also add that I am a 19 year old student studying International Service and maybe adding a photo minor. I shot these with my RebelXTi and a 100-400mm lens I rented for the trip (and had trouble returning. I loved it!)

Go ahead and check out some more on my smug account!
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited July 20, 2008
    Welcome to dgrin and thank you for posting.

Normally, a Journeys post would have some travelogue to go with the lovely photos you've posted.

If you could add a bit about your trip, that would be great.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    Oh course! Thanks for letting me know, I should have looked at a few more other posts before I jumped in. I'll edit accordingly.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    images not showing
    not showing...not even the normal red X of a link that is badne_nau.gif ??????????
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited July 20, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    not showing...not even the normal red X of a link that is badne_nau.gif ??????????
    SmugMug is experiencing a problem and the good folks at SmugMug are busy working on it.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Still no pixies yet.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    things should be starting back up again...at least they are for me. can anyone see the pictures?
  • Options
    nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Pictures
    I can see the pics and they are great! Welcome to Dgrin and keep the pics coming. Thanks for sharing. :D Where is the link for your smugmug page?
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008