Options

Pictures with new camera

KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
edited July 23, 2008 in People
well here are some pictures from my new Camera XSi with the 75-300 non-IS lens

1. The shadowing may be to much.

IMG_0246.jpg

2. My daughter (everyone knows that by now, lol)

IMG_0423.jpg

3. Model T days in the town I work at. They had a fair for it. Here is one of the guys

IMG_0365.jpg

4. Picture taken by partner Cara

IMG_0270-2.jpg
~Katie~
:barb

http://www.kc1stphotography.com

2 Canon Rebel XSi
Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
2 Canon 14-55mm
Canon 55-250mm f4.0
Canon 580EX
Canon 580EX II

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    I have the XSi Katie, and I am sure you will love it.

The lighting on #1 is a bit harsh.

Your daughter looks great as always (one of the cutest ever).

The model T show and bee look good.

Enjoy :D
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    I have the XSi Katie, and I am sure you will love it.

The lighting on #1 is a bit harsh.

Your daughter looks great as always (one of the cutest ever).

The model T show and bee look good.

Enjoy :D

I agree on # 1, I put my olympus FL 36 flash on it just to try it out, and it worked... but the flash and the camera wouldn't "talk" to each other... But no worries, just bought the Canon 580ex
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Nice Photos!

#1 You look GREAT! I would crop the pilow out of the right side.
    #2 She is a cutie.
    #3 love the boken! I would crop some off the right side since the main subject is looking the other way.
    #4 Nice Shot

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Nice Photos!

#1 You look GREAT! I would crop the pilow out of the right side.
    #2 She is a cutie.
    #3 love the boken! I would crop some off the right side since the main subject is looking the other way.
    #4 Nice Shot

Take Care,
    Chuck

Thanks! # 1 isn't me lol, that is my co-worker.
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    I agree on # 1, I put my olympus FL 36 flash on it just to try it out, and it worked... but the flash and the camera wouldn't "talk" to each other... But no worries, just bought the Canon 580ex

Let me know how you like the new flash with the XSi. I need one.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Let me know how you like the new flash with the XSi. I need one.

So far it is great! I bought it used, but basically was brand new. It doesn't need much to recharge.... I shot 11 pictures without any pause between them. It is A LOT better than my FL 36
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    So far it is great! I bought it used, but basically was brand new. It doesn't need much to recharge.... I shot 11 pictures without any pause between them. It is A LOT better than my FL 36
    Looks like you're having fun with your new toys (camara and now flash)!:ivar

And yes, you're going to love the 580EX (and the 580EX II is even better - I have one of each). Have you checked out A Better Bounce Card yet? It can have a dramatic impact on the results you get with your your on-camera flash.

You photography is coming along nicely. I still see a lot of centering in the shots. For example, the one at the Model T days - if you had placed that man closer to one edge or the other (see "Rule of Thirds") you would have been able to include a little more context and, in addition, created a more dynamic/interesting photo. Don't get me wrong it's quite nice, but can be improved.

Rule of Thirds links (pick one, they're all pretty much the same) For more on basic composition, here's a site recommended by Andy that I've found quite useful.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    Looks like you're having fun with your new toys (camara and now flash)!:ivar

And yes, you're going to love the 580EX (and the 580EX II is even better - I have one of each). Have you checked out A Better Bounce Card yet? It can have a dramatic impact on the results you get with your your on-camera flash.

You photography is coming along nicely. I still see a lot of centering in the shots. For example, the one at the Model T days - if you had placed that man closer to one edge or the other (see "Rule of Thirds") you would have been able to include a little more context and, in addition, created a more dynamic/interesting photo. Don't get me wrong it's quite nice, but can be improved.

Rule of Thirds links (pick one, they're all pretty much the same) For more on basic composition, here's a site recommended by Andy that I've found quite useful.

I know, I am so bad at that.... But when I am just walking around clicking away, it isn't something that crosses my mind. I PROMISE on my wedding shoots I will not do mainly centering!

Is my flash good enough for the wedding now?
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    I know, I am so bad at that.... But when I am just walking around clicking away, it isn't something that crosses my mind. I PROMISE on my wedding shoots I will not do mainly centering!

Is my flash good enough for the wedding now?
    Yes - no question The 580EX/580EX II are best of breed flashes - at least in the Canon line-up. I've done weddings where the only light I had was either ambient (during the day) or the flash.

The BBC (see previous post) works well if you are shooting in a place with a low & light colored ceiling. Otherwise you will need something like one of the following: Un-modified flash light is rather harsh and will create very strong/contrasty shadows - not flattering at all.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    Yes - no question The 580EX/580EX II are best of breed flashes - at least in the Canon line-up. I've done weddings where the only light I had was either ambient (during the day) or the flash.

The BBC (see previous post) works well if you are shooting in a place with a low & light colored ceiling. Otherwise you will need something like one of the following: Un-modified flash light is rather harsh and will create very strong/contrasty shadows - not flattering at all.

Even if I bounce it off something rather than directly on the ppl?
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    Even if I bounce it off something rather than directly on the ppl?
    Here's a principle of flash photography and lighting in general:

A point source of light will create strong/harsh shadows. A larger light source, or a light source that looks large from the perspective of your subject, will produce softer edged shadows.

Now, some application: Bouncing your light off something will cause the "something" to be the light source, at least as far as the subject is concerned. So, if you bounce it off the ceiling, the area of the ceiling actually illuminated by the flash will be "the light source". You can, literally, take a flash, point it up to a light colored ceiling, and get nice soft light that illuminates your subject from above.

For people, this is good except for one thing. Eye sockets won't get much light and will get a raccoon-like effect. This is why, when you bounce off the ceiling, you need something on your flash to direct some of the light straight forward to fill in the eye-socket shadows.

You can also bounce your flash off a light colored wall. The further away from that wall, the larger will be your light source. The closer your subject is to that same wall, the softer will be the shadow transitions. Contra-wise, the further your subject from your light source, the stronger will be those shadow transitions.

Check out this thread, in particular the photos posted by Ziggy.