VHS to DVD

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited July 24, 2008 in Video
I have VHR tapes quite old and before they "vanish" I want to move the memories to DVD.
Some VHS old tapes - 20 years - are already spoiled, unusables.:cry

I need to buy a machine to transpose the information I have from VHS to DVD.

I have been to the shop and could be interested in a Philips DVDR3510V for example or similar.

Do you have any tips, please ? :bow
:D
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    At first, I tried transfering VHS to DVD via my computer. I was using Pinnacle software and their AV input box. Honestly, it was slow and painful. It was nice to try and create menus and such to make the final DVD's more user friendly, but it took a lot of work (I've been a PC user forever...not sure but Mac's might be better..).

Have found that transferring VHS to DVD directly on a player is MUCH easier. You do lose some ability to create menus, although some machines apparently do have that optionnow , but is slow to navigate thru the controls via the machines remote. But if you simply want to burn straight from tape to disc, the combo machine is the easiest way.

Also, DVD technology for use on typical DVD players can be tricky. Not all computer generated discs work on all DVD machines. Also discovered that selection of DVD media can be an issue too. Some DVD players (particularly older models) don't like certain media. Suggest testing some discs to confirm before you buy a bunch. After recording, try viewing on the various machines you have.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Thank you Tony.bowdown.gif
    I just want to move the data into DVDs and use the machine later, as reader.
    We are not very found of movies in the house.

I am even planning to buy one of these machines in partnership with someone else.
    We would share the machine just for the recording.
    I would then see the DVD in my Mac. :Dbowdown.gif
    Have a nice week end.:D
    edited July 22, 2008
    Bump.
  • RayLarsonRayLarson Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Bump.

I transfer VHS to DVD for a living (along with other things) Buy a VHS to DVD recorder. In the long run it will cost less than having someone do it for you. It's easy and the quality is great and when you're done you'll have the machine to use as a player or sell it. It's a win-win
    Ray Larson
    Nikon D80, D300, D700 all gripped, Nikkor 50 f1.8 Nikkor 18-200 VR Nikkor 70-200 VR f2.8 Nikkor 28-300 VR, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 Sigma 80-400 OS Sigma 150-500 OS Nikon SB600
    edited July 22, 2008
    RayLarson wrote:
    I transfer VHS to DVD for a living (along with other things) Buy a VHS to DVD recorder. In the long run it will cost less than having someone do it for you. It's easy and the quality is great and when you're done you'll have the machine to use as a player or sell it. It's a win-win

Thank you Ray. :D
    That's what I will do it. mwink.gif

bowdown.gifDthumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Well what about some professionals in the area are they expensive then buying a new machine ??
    Anyway happy hunting :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited July 24, 2008
    Well what about some professionals in the area are they expensive then buying a new machine ??
    Anyway happy hunting :D

I have been to a professional today and he will be doing the job.
    mwink.gifthumb