Options

Dixie blew into Charleston on Saturday

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited April 8, 2005 in Holy Macro
Dixie came to Charleston with plans for specific pictures. Unfortunately, he brought first the rain and then the wind. I missed the rain, but he picked me up in time for the wind. We went out to a wildlife place, or something, with a terrific view of Charleston and surroundings. It was also a great place to enjoy the 50 MPH gusts of wind (honest, I read it today). Notice the white caps. If I had known it was 50 mph, I probably would have given up and let it blow me in the water. As it was I amused myself taking photos of Dixie. A few of Charleston, just to do it.

18851707-L.jpg

Between comments on the "breeze", he persevered and took photos.

18851703-L.jpg

I paid close attention as to how a real photographer carries his equipment.

18852589-L.jpg

Being a Great Bird shooter at heart, I did get the mandatory Butt shot.

18851699-L.jpg

After a quick trip downtown where there was less wind, but due to the bridge runners that Charleston provided, or whatever, the churches and cemeteries were all locked. So we did what any photographer would do, we looked for food.
He had pastrami, and I had a BLT, I think. Proof is below.

18851709-L.jpg

See the food shot means I am almost a real photographer, too.:thumb
Then we decided to head to Magnolia Gardens. I think Dixie was looking for shelter from the wind. So I took him to a swamp. There I saw this, and many more. I know I never thought to take another shot of Dixie, and I am sure he was the same. We were all excited to join the Egret Fest. Who'd a thunk that Andy was going to change birds........... As it was we had a great time in that swamp, I found there was more than I had seen before. As I said they are all preparing for families. This bird flew back and forth gathering twigs for the nest.

18851711-L.jpg

Dixie took many shots as did I.
It was still breezy, I think, I was in heaven, what was a little wind.
An enjoyable day. I am sure Dixie will post an egret or two. I hope there
is an egret shooter left to welcome him to that club. (There were other birds, too, Anhingas, Herons, even ducks. We didn't think to shoot the ducks....)

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2005
    whatta fun day :D and you gave us :eat food, too. lovely ginger, lovely. work on the masking, though, it's a bit unnatural where dixie's coat meets the sky etc in that second shot ... thumb.gif ...

thanks for the shooting report!
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2005
    I didn't use any masking. I barely did anything to any of these. In fact I forgot to sharpen most of them. A little saturation and maybe some shadow/highlight, that was all.

By close observation I do see what you say about the coat and the sky, but I swear I didn't do any masking. The most I could have done was use levels if I wanted contrast, but that sky is so dark, I don't think that shot called for much.
    I don't know what did it. Masking is a lot of work, think of who you are mentioning "work" to, I try very hard not to do that, smile.

Thank you for stopping by, and for the nice words. It was a very fun day!

g (I am exhausted, shot two gbs today, too.)
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I didn't use any masking. I barely did anything to any of these. In fact I forgot to sharpen most of them. A little saturation and maybe some shadow/highlight, that was all.

By close observation I do see what you say about the coat and the sky, but I swear I didn't do any masking. The most I could have done was use levels if I wanted contrast, but that sky is so dark, I don't think that shot called for much.
    I don't know what did it. Masking is a lot of work, think of who you are mentioning "work" to, I try very hard not to do that, smile.

g (I am exhausted, shot two gbs today, too.)

lol3.gif ok so it was shadow/highlight as the culprit - be real careful with this tool, it can work wonders but it can also create unnatural halos as in the shot referenced... remember, do ctrl-j, new layer, *then* do your shadow highlight command... now, becuase it's in a layer, you can throttle it back with the opacity slider, if it looks hinky... doesn't diminish from the fun you guys had, and we're looking forward to the gbh's!
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2005
    ps ginger:

time to clean your sensor umph.gif
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2005
    Sounds like you guys had a ball.
    A breezy one at that :D
    Thanks for the story and sharing Ginger.thumb.gif
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2005
    looks like a little more than breezy-- foods looks very good last shot very nice BIFwhat fun where are those egret shots ?????ne_nau.gif Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DeanMcMDeanMcM Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2005
    Pastrami with white bread!!
    Great shots.. but pastrami on white bread. 11doh.gif :smack
    Need to send some rye bread down there.
    Oh my I see lettuce and tomato on it...11doh.gif

This should go into the sins challenge!!

18851709-L.jpg
    Dean - New York
    Canon Rebel Xsi, Fuji FinePix F10
    mcphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2005
    Thanks, Ginger. At least I'm glad I had my teeth in. :D

Appreciated the company for the days shooting and sorry for the rain and wind. :cry
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2005
    Sounds like you both had a good time at least if the weather wasnt helpfull.

I must ask though...are those potatoe chips (i think you call them potatoe crisps) you fella's are eating with your food ?

Gus
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 8, 2005
    Very nice Ginger thumb.gifthumb.gif

Looks like you survived the weather and got some very nice shots in. Plus, as Andy points out, you gave us a food shot (that's worth 50 bonus points....lol)

Glad you two had a good time clap.gifclap.gif I really enjoy reading about when forum members hook up for a shoot. I enjoyed reading your story too :D

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2005
    Very nice Ginger thumb.gifthumb.gif

Looks like you survived the weather and got some very nice shots in. Plus, as Andy points out, you gave us a food shot (that's worth 50 bonus points....lol)

Glad you two had a good time clap.gifclap.gif I really enjoy reading about when forum members hook up for a shoot. I enjoyed reading your story too :D

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve

Thank you, Steve, my favorite part of members hooking up is the photos they take of each other.

I kept telling Dixie I could photograph Charleston anytime. I don't know what kind of spell came over me when I saw the birds, all good plans of shooting Dixie "flew" away.

Are you one of the ones going on the trip to that big park? I think every other shot should be of a person with them/you/whoever.

I ought to post that somewhere else, too.

Thanks for looking and commenting, Steve,
    ginger