Options

What risk do I take with sharing and ext link?

PhilmarPhilmar Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited July 26, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
As the title says, what risk do I take if I enable the share button and ext link so I can send emails to previous customers. I have max size of large and I do have right click protection on. What I do is when I upload a new gallery that has photos of previous customers I send them an email through smugmug with a photo of there son/daughter, I have seen some sales from this method, just want to make sure I am not losing sales???
Thanks
Phil
www.philmarphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Try it! Use some dummy images and send 'em out - put 'em in a forum or blog. You'll see :D

They are not protected once off of SmugMug thumb.gif

http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/2008/07/04/right-click-protection-and-image-security/
  • Options
    PhilmarPhilmar Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Thanks Andy,
    But I need some more clarification...whats noy protected??? this one image that I send out with a watermark and no larger than the "large size" or is there a way they can get to the original???? This can be a great tool but why have it if it just causes all kinds of problems for the pro account trying to sell photos ???
    Phil
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited July 26, 2008
    Philmar wrote:
    Thanks Andy,
    But I need some more clarification...whats noy protected??? this one image that I send out with a watermark and no larger than the "large size" or is there a way they can get to the original???? This can be a great tool but why have it if it just causes all kinds of problems for the pro account trying to sell photos ???
    Phil
    The right click protection only works within smugmug, and it should be viewed as a deterrent only. If the image is shown on a computer it is in the browser cache and can be "grabbed".

That said, if you block the original from view, it can't be accessed at all.

And if you only expose the large size in the way that you're describing - that size is not large enough to get a decent quality print. Do a test - right click save one of your large images and compare that to the size of the original. I think you'll see that the large is tiny.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Hi Phil,

Any size you link externally and show on a forum, blog, or email is not protected. Put a watermark on your shots, for the best protection, IMO.

Photos in your gallery are right-click protected.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/custom-watermark-protection