Camera bags?

mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
edited July 27, 2008 in Accessories
I just bought my first DSLR and need something to carry it around in. The camera is a Nikon D80 with 2 lenses. What does everyone use? What are some features that I'm sure that I'll overlook as a new guy? What would you recommend? Thanks!

Kris

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    I use a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW and also have the Micro Trekker. I have found that with all my gear I have gotten my Mini Trekker is to small headscratch.gif so I'm looking for something different now.

I love the Lowepro camera backpacks since I'm always in dirty situations and when the dirt dries on the bag....it just rubs right off. Always looks clean.

Easiest way to do it...find one you like in a store and try it out there with all your gear. I usually do that....then buy it online cheaper :D And most of all...always buy BIGGER then what you need right now thumb.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Diversity: Bags And Users
    mud390 wrote:
    I just bought my first DSLR and need something to carry it around in. The camera is a Nikon D80 with 2 lenses. What does everyone use? What are some features that I'm sure that I'll overlook as a new guy? What would you recommend? Thanks!

Kris

As far as what everyone uses....well.....I would bet there are some of us using nearly every brand out there and we probably all love what we use....Dogdots is correct in saying find what fits then buy bigger....for several reasons.....you have a body and 2 lenses.....at some point in the near future it would behoove you to get a 2nd body....doesn't matter if have any inkling at doing it professionally or not.....it is wise to have a back up body....also you could have both lenses mounted and ready to use just by grabbing the other body....

So you need room for 2 bodies and 4 lenses to start out.....also you will need to invest in a good flash or 2....... so add room for 2 flashes.....add room for 5 -10 camera batteries and a charger or 2,,,,,,,your wondering why I say 5-10 extra camera batteries....VACATIONS.....you may be out of country for 2 or 3 weeks and might not get to be close to an electrical outlet for days....so you have plenty of camera fuel for those times.....I buy replacement batteries off ebay...usually around $10 for 2 +s/h.

I do not like standard photo bags as they are meant to hang off one shoulder and can help damage your bback and lower back.
    I prefer a good backpack with and all weather cover such as the LowePro line.....my current back pack held my 35mm system and a medium format body with penta prism and 80mm lens attached + 6 film backs + sunpak 622's and 2 quantum batteries + 35mm and 120 film (lots and lots of film) + recharges and other accessories....when loaded it was 1/2 pound under airline regs in 2003 (around 59.5 lbs).
    I also use 2 LowePro 75AW on a military pistol belt with matching suspenders...this set up allolwes me to carry 1 camera + lens in each of the 75 AW's + extra batteries and other accessories and still ride my motorcycle or go hiking with a full backpack on and have access to my cameras....

If I was looking again for something I could grow into...I would look at one of the various sling bags...like the LowePro 300 Sling Bag....very roomy and room to grow and comfortable to wear and use.....do not have to remove to get to camera equipment can just be moved from back to front and then to your back again........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website