Options

Quick Coast Trip

TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
edited July 27, 2008 in Journeys
My wife is now 7 months pregnant and we thought we should take a little trip to the coast. We wanted to beat the heat and travel while she's still able.

First day, Solvang:

321648988_Rma6N-L.jpg

Stopped into the tobacco shop. Not terribly impressed.

321650657_XzYUy-L.jpg

Saw lots of windmills but documented only this one, Solvang's largest and home to a T-shirt shop.

321653228_A2vbg-L.jpg

321651646_d2cWS-L.jpg

Lots of really good bakeries.

321654533_uDy9a-L.jpg

Seven months pregnant and she looks better than ever!

321654980_TPY4K-L.jpg

321658654_QsXmK-L.jpg

Having sated ourselves with Danish culture and having indulged in the Hitching Post II's famous Monday night barburgers, we headed northwest to Morro Bay.

321659405_YZHS5-L.jpg

This fellow managed to climb out of the pot, but alas, he didn't make it.

321661391_rZ79S-L.jpg

Got a room with a private balcony overlooking the town and the bay. Got to enjoy several nice pipes during the day.

321661575_QvHxT-L.jpg

This fellow came by to say hello.

321667495_wWBT8-L.jpg

View from the balcony.

321669718_R59j4-L.jpg

Morro Rock.

The next day we headed north to Cambria, but not without stopping by Cayucos for some shopping and a stroll along the pier.

321674200_wxMZj-L.jpg

321677243_32dBp-L.jpg

It was pretty windy.

321680510_tdBME-L.jpg

We finally made it to Cambria where we had a very pleasant evening in a room overlooking the ocean, a good meal, and more shopping.

321681073_wfmSY-L.jpg

321681874_MPBZx-L.jpg

321682036_zc3Gv-L.jpg

If you ever find yourself in Cambria, eat here. It's wonderful.

On the way home we drove through San Luis Obispo. I wanted to stop in and see a tobacco shop I'd heard about, The Sanctuary. Good pipe shops are very hard to find in the era of anti-smoking hysteria. This was a great one.

320733409_8NBDH-L.jpg

320736531_cjbZb-L.jpg

321018289_GeF2Y-L.jpg

I was so pleased at having found such a great shop, that I treated myself to this souvenir, a Savinelli pipe, unsmoked from 1976! It's a real beauty and I'm enjoying breaking it in.

That's our trip. Thanks for looking. The rest of the pictures are here.
"Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    Fabulous shots Tom, and your wife is beautifully pregnant. I have made the exact same trip twice. I love Monterrey Bay and Cambria. clap.gif
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    I enjoyed your photos. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited July 16, 2008
    How'd I miss this TommyBoy?

Wonderful as any journey along the coast.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    This is great will love to visit the Bakery personally :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    That Eclair is di-vine. Yeah, tobacco hysteria. I hear you. Try mentioning hookah to people and they say bong. Mention pipe and they think crack. rolleyes1.gif I don't know why but tobacco shops make me want butterscotch.
    I hope to look that happy and healthy whenever I am 7 months pregnant. She looks great!
    There's some beautiful grain on your pipe purchase. I like the cruved pipe much better than the flats. I really like the long ones so I can pretend I'm Gandalf the Grey. Nerds can look cool, too.
    Have you tried any of the berry mixes out there? Blackberry and Boysenberry make some sweet smoke.
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Have you tried any of the berry mixes out there? Blackberry and Boysenberry make some sweet smoke.

I'm a pretty new pipe smoker (& pipe photographer), so I tend toward just those sorts of aromatics. My current favorites are black cordial and devil's holiday.

I don't have any butterscotch cravings, but always want something sweet after I smoke a bowl.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    I have always been fond of smoke shops. My dad was a pipe smoker and he loved his pipe collection. Eventhough I do not smoke, I still can appreciate a good looking pipe.

Nice shotsthumb.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Perfect documentation!