Options

What a Point & Shoot Can Do

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited April 4, 2004 in Holy Macro
I love my DSLR, but there are a lot of times when it is the wrong tool for the job. I went to NYC this Saturday for just a few hours to visit my Dad. I could have dragged my big camera, but I wouldn't have gotten these shots in the taxi:

3108000-L.jpg

3108002-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2004
    I agree Rutt. I only use a Nikon 885 right now. I'm getting an 828 next week and I'll see what it's like to have an 8 megapixel camera!
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    I agree Rutt. I only use a Nikon 885 right now. I'm getting an 828 next week and I'll see what it's like to have an 8 megapixel camera!

Don't get too caught up in the pixel count. In reality most cameras are more limited by their lens systems than their sensor. I found that even at 2.5mpel I got very good 8x10 prints out of my C2500L, and I know Charles Richmond has a relatively low mpel Kodak that produces some stunning shots.

I have no experience with the Sony although it does seem to have one of the better permanent lens systems out there; I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2004
    rutt, #2 is is a winner.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 30, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I love my DSLR, but there are a lot of times when it is the wrong tool for the job. I went to NYC this Saturday for just a few hours to visit my Dad. I could have dragged my big camera, but I wouldn't have gotten this shot in the taxi:

3108002-L.jpg
    Rutt - I could not agree more - I have used the Nikon CoolPix 995 for several years - here is an image from Maysville Ky taken in the summer of 2002

3161370-L.jpg

ANd here is an image that alway gets a bang from a Nikon CoolPix 950 - all of 2 megapixels.... Puny by todays standards but takes nice pics just the same

2363881-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2004
    Another picture with a CoolPix 995

3179312-L.jpg

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    Point & Shoot
    rutt wrote:
    I love my DSLR, but there are a lot of times when it is the wrong tool for the job. I went to NYC this Saturday for just a few hours to visit my Dad. I could have dragged my big camera, but I wouldn't have gotten these shots in the taxi:

3108000-L.jpg

3108002-L.jpg
    I like the first one. Here is a Point & Shoot sucess. ( I think so anyway)
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2004
    A couple of years ago I took my Olympus point-and-shoot into the desert, surprised myself with some decent shots, and got enthusiastic about shooting again.

13845-M-1.jpg

13846-M-1.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    WingsWings Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2004
    I knew Fish has a bunch of neat camera stuff, but...are you saying you guys all have cameras other than point & shoot? Now I feel like a total dork.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2004
    I think my camera's pretty close to being a point and shoot. But I try to always use the manual controls.

Hey, who cares what you shoot with? You're making great shots, and you seem happy with it... so no need to feel like a dork. I'm agonizing over upgrading, and half of me thinks I'm an idiot for doing so.
    Sid.
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2004
    Agony
    I feel your pain Sid. I love my Coolpix 885 but I think I need to take it to the next level, whatever that means. Pathfinder has a great shot with the 995. I don't know. I know that I'll buy this Sony 828 on payday and then in a year I'll want a Canon dslr and then...and then...but truly it's fun. It's just expensive. Oh well.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    I feel your pain Sid. I love my Coolpix 885 but I think I need to take it to the next level, whatever that means. Pathfinder has a great shot with the 995. I don't know. I know that I'll buy this Sony 828 on payday and then in a year I'll want a Canon dslr and then...and then...but truly it's fun. It's just expensive. Oh well.
    The CoolPix 885 is a fine camera - It has 3.34 megapixels - slightly more than the 995 - and has an image size 2048 x 1536 F2.8-4.9 38-114 mm zoom

You can find a complete review of the 885 at http://www.dpreview.com/news/0108/01082302nikoncoolpix885.asp

and of the 995 at

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cp995.asp The 995 is listed as discontinued... 3.14 megapixels 2048X1536 - Sound familiar?lickout.gif They probably both use the same image sensor I suspect.

Anyway here are few more images with the 995

This is a picture of an elevated railway 180 feet in the air and about a half mile long - not something you expect to see driving through the Indiana farm countryside - and its shadow. In color and B&W.

3258633-L.jpg

3258636-L.jpg

Just continue to show the world the Chinese pictures you have been taking with your CoolPix 885. They're geat