Options

Any way to upload smaller files and still sell

valeriecookvaleriecook Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited July 30, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I need a way to upload smaller files!!!! I am on 'rural high speed' internet (if you can even call it that) - it's better than dial up, but not by a whole lot!

My big draw to smugmug was selling images and also after I read about the 'proof-delay' feature - I thought it was exactly what I was looking for. I uploaded downsized pics and then none of the print option showed up. I tried using VSO image resizer to the exact dimensions listed on the help page - no luck! I ended up using a script and resizing as JPEG 8 in CS3 and finally I got print options!!! But.... it took 25 hours of continuous uploading to send up my entire wedding gallery!!!!
I really cannot see doing that every weekend!!!
Is there any other way to resize even smaller to still offer decent sized prints? I plan on uploading replacements for any order over a 4x6
Thanks so much for any advice.
~Val

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality

Check this page for minimum requirement for prints. for 4x6 minimum is 500x750 i think which is not too big for dialup headscratch.gif
    You can also order some test prints to check how they look at different minimum sizes
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Valerie, the problem is that SmugMug looks at the dimensions of the image you uploaded, and based on that, chooses to offer or not offer various print sizes, whether or not you've made them available for your portfolio. I don't mean that SmugMug will sell prints larger than you've chosen to offer--but I do mean that they won't necessarily go as large as you'd like. If the pixel dimensions are insufficient, larger prints will not be available to your clients. I understand your problem but don't see an easy way around it, unfortunately. Maybe move someplace with faster internet? :-)

I'd suggest you upload your full-res images, but set your jpeg compression much lower than 8. Try 4. Or 3. Or 2... I don't know, just try and see how it looks. Make your pixel dimensions high and your jpeg quality low, but let your clients know that their prints will be made from different files and will look great.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
  • Options
    MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Andy wrote:

I have also been struggling with upload times vs print sizes. Today, I followed the advise posted above, and what Peter said. I ran a test and the results can be viewed here.

I used Breeze Browser Pro to tweak the saturation, contrast, levels and sharpness, compress the file to 60%, then rename the files with the shooter's initials in front of the original filename. That way I can determine who shot the pics.

Upload times for 25 images was 2:20 seconds via Star Explorer. That is 1.5 hours for 1000 images. That is much, much faster than my previous method.

And, they look OK to me, and the shopping cart indicates prints can be ordered as large as 16x24. I plan to replace the images when they are ordered.

I'm just curious if the images that have been uploaded would make acceptable prints without having to replace each image that is ordered? Print sizes from orders typically do not exceed 8x10.

Thanks for the help posted in this thread. It has really helped me.

Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.