Options

mounting photos

Bob HughesBob Hughes Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited July 31, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi,

I've got a backlog of some very nice photos which I'm framing and putting on the wall. I started off with a black and white Ikea frame but the frame seems to overshadow the colours in the photo. What is actually quite a colourful photo looks almost dull.

Does anyone have any beginner's tips on what colour and depth of frame to go with what type of photo? ie colourful photo = white border and light wood frame; black and white, high-contrast photo goes with (eg) black frame and border.

I know there are lots of variables and people have different tastes for these things but I'm looking for a rule-of-thirds equivalent that is enough to get me started on finding my own taste.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,

Bob

Comments

• Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    Can we have some samples? I can't really suggest otherwise, I need to see them. :D Please watermark the heck out of them if you want to, need to keep the treasure trove safe from internet pirates!
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    Can we have some samples?

Good point! Here you go. This is the photo that looks a bit dull in a B&W frame.

245880202_G943X-M.jpg

I'd also like to do something with these:
    245880850_JWCR2-M.jpg

244943363_Ww7ae-M.jpg

And this B&W image
    229674536_wTUjt-M.jpg

Like I say - any ideas would be really appreciated! Thanks.

Bob
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    #1 I think would look great with a white and orange border, a double matte. White matte closest to picture, then a thin show of orange, then a thick white matte again. A thick, rustic dark wood frame.
    #2 I think a thin, medium brown frame with smooth surface. Beige or washed out tan matte, with or without a black matte around it.
    #3 It needs to be cropped with only the boy in front showing or including all the people in the background [if it was already cropped.] With all the colors from the people a lightly patterned matte with some colour in it like pink, orange, blue, green in any order really, if you could find an Afrikaan pattern it would fit nicely. I say find a pattern that looks tribal or thick and colorful to fit it either way and a light wood the colour of the sand. A black frame would close them in and make the black of the boy's clothes very dull indeed.
    #4 black matte, then a thick dark grey matte above it and then a white frame with a glass clearance between the sides of the frames and the mattes. If that makes any sense.

wings.gif I did it! Frames aren't cheap, but you can go to any outlet store and buy them up on the clearance racks. That's what I do and then marry the pics with some mattes I find at Hobby Lobby or any other craft store. It's cheaper than paying them to frame it for you.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    wow! That was loads more than I was expecting. Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed reply!

Lots of food for thought here.

Bob.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    As far as I see matte and frame, they are the hands that hold the picture. It just makes sense to pull a colour from the picture and emphasize it with the frame and help the overall tone with the wood you choose, colour of matte, and proportions! Proportions! Also, the frame and matte can impact the emotion you feel when looking at it.
    Orange conveys a sense of happiness and optimism.
    Blue is tranquil and stress relieving.
    Red excites and dominates.
    White bounces colour so it makes a strong compliment.

Take the photos with you to stores and put them up to the matte. You'll know it when you see it.deal.gif

Having said that, the last one of the b/w sand could take on a red matte and it would really look stunning. Basic rule of thumb is don't match perfectly. A black and white picture doesn't look very special in a black and white frame with no texture or play.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2008
    another really useful reply! Thanks.

Bob
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Might want to consider where they are being mounted as well. Are you going for a modern look? Is there going to be a lot sunlight in the room (i.e. glare).

Personally, I'm starting to hate frames mostly because there is always glare on the glass at some point. Also non-reflective glass tends to suck the life out of the photo. I never ever recommend non-reflective glass to a client because I have never seen a photo I like under it.

The fotoflot idea (www.fotoflot.com) is so great because the photo really jumps out at the person. I would absolutely consider fotoflot for the first shot with all the colours! Good mounting jobs can look great too as they are glare proof and have a long lifespan.

Nice pics!
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    The fotoflot idea (www.fotoflot.com) is so great because the photo really jumps out at the person. I would absolutely consider fotoflot for the first shot with all the colours! Good mounting jobs can look great too as they are glare proof and have a long lifespan.

Good tip, thanks.
  • Options
    sbresslersbressler Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    #1 I think would look great with a white and orange border, a double matte. White matte closest to picture, then a thin show of orange, then a thick white matte again. A thick, rustic dark wood frame.
    #2 I think a thin, medium brown frame with smooth surface. Beige or washed out tan matte, with or without a black matte around it.
    #3 It needs to be cropped with only the boy in front showing or including all the people in the background [if it was already cropped.] With all the colors from the people a lightly patterned matte with some colour in it like pink, orange, blue, green in any order really, if you could find an Afrikaan pattern it would fit nicely. I say find a pattern that looks tribal or thick and colorful to fit it either way and a light wood the colour of the sand. A black frame would close them in and make the black of the boy's clothes very dull indeed.
    #4 black matte, then a thick dark grey matte above it and then a white frame with a glass clearance between the sides of the frames and the mattes. If that makes any sense.

wings.gif I did it! Frames aren't cheap, but you can go to any outlet store and buy them up on the clearance racks. That's what I do and then marry the pics with some mattes I find at Hobby Lobby or any other craft store. It's cheaper than paying them to frame it for you.
    Hey, cmorganphotography, think you could make a recommendation about how to frame this shot? Thanks!

-Scott

szb4477edit2rj2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    sbressler wrote:
    Hey, cmorganphotography, think you could make a recommendation about how to frame this shot? Thanks!

-Scott

szb4477edit2rj2.jpg

A black basic border, matte, no gloss. A middle matte of a bronze or a deep gold antique colour, hopefully metallic [like a bronze border], and a black repeated matte with a fine embossed ribboning like a pinstripe or a suggestion of stripes and a rich red wood frame or a sponge painted dark frame, something with a uniform texture with a little bit of character.

Something like that? Trying to mirror the dark vignette with the beautiful tone of the pic.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2008
    A black basic border, matte, no gloss. A middle matte of a bronze or a deep gold antique colour, hopefully metallic [like a bronze border], and a black repeated matte with a fine embossed ribboning like a pinstripe or a suggestion of stripes and a rich red wood frame or a sponge painted dark frame, something with a uniform texture with a little bit of character.

Something like that? Trying to mirror the dark vignette with the beautiful tone of the pic.
    Thanks so much for the suggestions! You really have a great understanding and eye for framing. I actually haven't even printed this yet. The photo is of my sister's son, and I've been considering printing it both for myself (probably a bit smaller) and for her (quite large, 20x30" at least I think). Any ideas for printing/materials? I was considering fotoflot, but it sure is expensive. Perhaps appropriate for the one I give my sister.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2008
    sbressler wrote:
    Thanks so much ... Any ideas for printing/materials? I was considering fotoflot, but it sure is expensive.
    I was more thinking get the prints from smugmug because they are cheap and high quality. Buy a couple of nice frames in the colour palatte of the picture. Use matte in the tones I suggested but I have no idea if they have metallic matte... maybe use metallic paper? I don't know much about foto float. I did see they were 60 for the cheapest... I'm a bit on the cheap side so I wouldn't do that but I'm sure they are a really nice result i nthe end.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2008
    I was more thinking get the prints from smugmug because they are cheap and high quality. Buy a couple of nice frames in the colour palatte of the picture. Use matte in the tones I suggested but I have no idea if they have metallic matte... maybe use metallic paper? I don't know much about foto float. I did see they were 60 for the cheapest... I'm a bit on the cheap side so I wouldn't do that but I'm sure they are a really nice result i nthe end.
    A friend of mine did a metallic print from mpix that came out really well. Do you think a metallic print would work best here?
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2008
    sbressler wrote:
    A friend of mine did a metallic print from mpix that came out really well. Do you think a metallic print would work best here?
    You know, I think it would. The black sky would pop like the rest of the shot. It's worth a shot at least.ne_nau.gif I think the pic looks bronze, personally,clap.gif so why wouldn't it work?!?!