Options

Another bag thread?

InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
edited July 31, 2008 in Accessories
I'm trying to figure out which bag I should look at for my needs.

Right now I use a lowepro Stealth Reporter 300 for my set up. Its good, but there are times I need even more space. I like shoulder bags since they can be rotate around seem more secure, and are very easy to take gear in and out of. However, my bag is almost too heavy as it is and won't fit everything sometimes. I'm looking at the lowepro site but I'm still having trouble figuring out which bags I want to look at.

I have:

D300 with grip attached.
D70
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Nikon 50
Nikon 35 (and/or sigma 30 1.4)
Nikon 70-200 VR

Filters, batteris, etc
Full sized tripod

In addition, I'll want to add either a 2X TC for the 70-200 or a Sigma 150-500. There's also a possibility of either a macro lense, or an 85mm prime.

This may seem a lot to carry around, but I'm often needing to have everything to cover day, night, wide angle needs and everything else. I don't have the oportunity to keep some things in a car or close by.

I'm also thinking that it would be nice to carry a laptop, though this is a low requirement.

I want the lowest profile set up to carry all of this gear, and due to where I am at, brands other than Lowepro are very hard to find.

I know that this question is asked a lot and everyone has their own opinions, but I'm really not sure which bags to tell the store sales man to order for me.
Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited July 30, 2008
    So, if I am counting properly, 2 bodies (one with grip) and 7-8 lenses plus teleconverter and other accessories?

It kind of sounds like maybe the bag you have plus a vest might be a pretty good solution.

Do you need to keep a lens on the cameras? If so, which lenses on which cameras?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    So, if I am counting properly, 2 bodies (one with grip) and 7-8 lenses plus teleconverter and other accessories?

It kind of sounds like maybe the bag you have plus a vest might be a pretty good solution.

Do you need to keep a lens on the cameras? If so, which lenses on which cameras?

The only problem with the vest is that I need my "solution" to not scream photographer (I'll leave the tripod behind). at all time. Sometimes, I would like to blend in a bit more.

I'd like to be able to leave the D300 ready to use with either the Sigma 18-200 or the Nikon 70-200. Or with a small Nikon 35 or 50m lens. The D70 can be left stowed with no lenses if needed. If I need it, I'll just wear both around my neck.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    It looks like even the Stealth Reporter D650 AW (16.1W X 7.3D X 11H in. interior) might not be too large, depending on how you load it. If you can stack the short lenses (that's what I do with a different bag, with foam sheets to seperate) then you might be OK.

I would contact LowePro to be sure:

http://www.lowepro.com/support/contact-us
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    My only problem is that I'm concerned that Shoulder bags would be too heavy to carry comfortably for extended periods of time. While I feel they are the most secure and most useful, they have their limitations when it comes to weight. The store has the 550 or the 650 though sitting there, and I tried it. It was too small. I'm stacking the 35 and 50 mm lenses already in my reporter 300. I'll look at it again, but its probalby not going to cut it.

Also, I would like to be able to carry a tripod at times.

I also like the ability to store things like tissue, hand sanitizer, etc so smallish, easily organized and accessible compartments is a plus.

I looked at the Slingshot series. Too small, too small, too small and one strap only. The stealth reporter generally is as good or better (IMO)

I'm thinking of a few bags so far, all backpacks.

If anyone has any experience with them and could tell how well they fit my needs, that would be great:

Compu Trekker AW
    Holds computer, but might be rather small.

Compu trekker Plus AW
    Similar to the above, but I'm not exactly what the major differences are. Any know?

Vertex 200 or 300
    Seems a bit more support, as well as bigger than either of the above backpacks.

Nature/photo/pro trekker backpacks
    Loses the computer storage, and grows bigger still.

I'm leaning towards the first 4, and probably the Vertex series bags, but anyone got any other pointers?
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008

Compu Trekker AW
    Holds computer, but might be rather small.

Compu trekker Plus AW
    Similar to the above, but I'm not exactly what the major differences are. Any know?

Vertex 200 or 300
    Seems a bit more support, as well as bigger than either of the above backpacks.

Nature/photo/pro trekker backpacks
    Loses the computer storage, and grows bigger still.

I'm leaning towards the first 4, and probably the Vertex series bags, but anyone got any other pointers?

Computrekker is too small, it will not hold all of that. I have the gear below, plus two flashes and have maxed out my Computrekker

The plus is a bit bigger, the nature is much bigger, but no computer. the largest Crumpler will hold all of that plus a computer I think.

I guess another question: do you need EVERYTHING on a shoot or do you just need storage? I typically store my things elsewhere, and pack the backpack for a shoot. not everything goes with me all the time
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Computrekker is too small, it will not hold all of that. I have the gear below, plus two flashes and have maxed out my Computrekker

The plus is a bit bigger, the nature is much bigger, but no computer. the largest Crumpler will hold all of that plus a computer I think.

I guess another question: do you need EVERYTHING on a shoot or do you just need storage? I typically store my things elsewhere, and pack the backpack for a shoot. not everything goes with me all the time

Well,the problem is that its very difficult for me to get to storage at times. I'm looking for a bag that will do a couple of things,

1) serve as a bag that I can load up with everything minus the notebook so that I can head out during the morning, day and then when night falls, I can shoot action in low light. I'll often leave the tripod behind. During the day, I like my 18-200 and 10-20. Sometimes I'll use the 50 if I want to completely blur the background. I like the 30 or 35 too since sometimes I'm inside and can't move back enough to get 2 or 3 people in the shot. I always carry the flash as I find I use it now and then, but can't really know before hand when I'll want it. At night time, I want the low light performance of the 50, 30/35 and the 70-200 2.8. I'd like to add a teleconverter to the 70-200 to make it more useful so it will double as a longer reaching telezoom. In this case, I'll be even less likely to want to leave it at home.

2) I'm going to be traveling around a bit and I need something to serve as a transport bag, as well as everythng mentioned above. In this case, I'll take the notebook, though I might not actually carry it around. But one less bag would be nice when on trains, airplanes or other means of conveyance.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2008
    I spent about half the day going from one store to another, looking at bags that would carry everything and the kitchen sink.

The ideal bag needed to carry:
    D300 with grip and 18-200 lens attached
    D70 with or without lens

Sigma 10-20
    Sigma 18-200
    Nikon 35
    Nikon 50
    Nikon 70-200 VR

Standard tripod
    Miscilaneous odds and ends, both camera and non camera items

As mentioned before, I know that most people would rather just go back and pull out their a different lense from storage or wherever (maybe their car) but I can't do that. I go with the flow usually. Today, I started off with just the 18-200, but then grabbed the 10-20 for a few shots. It got dark so I switched to the 35 F2 (my girlfriend got the 50 1.4 and D70). Then I came across a game of soccer and wanted to try to shoot that so out came the 70-200 2.8. I will admit, there was a time when I wanted the tripod too, but I'll not normally want to carry that around.

And if it could carry a laptop if needed, so much the better. (I did not bring a laptop or tripod, but grabbed a demo tripod from the store when looking at some bags.)

I'm not trying to post in depth reviews, but rather general impressions. Details may be a bit fuzzy, but hopefully I have not made any errors. Please note, some bags got more “testing” than others, and some really didn't meet the criteria at all. I hope that this may help someone, though I'm still open for suggestions myself. My biggest problem right now is dealing with the fact that backpacks are good for carrying stuff, but getting to that stuff, and keeping it safe from others are areas they fall short.

Computrekker Plus AW
    General Impressions: This bag fits everything and has a bit extra room. It holds the laptop and the tripod. It has little “wasted” space or extra space for that matter either. The bag will hold both cameras with lenses attached. The harness is substantial and comfortable. You can lock the harness down so the pack doesn't move. The bag fit well on my 6'2” and 185 cm, average body and also fit well on my much shorter girlfriend. She commented how the weight dissappeared with this pack, though we didn't wear it much. There are slip lock loops on both the belt and the bag for optional pouches and cases. Two removable pouches are supplied. You can fill them with small bits and ends and slip them in the main compartment where able.

What I didn't like about this bag: The pack is a bit large to wear to the front. The tripod is the other week spot. With the supplied holder, the tripod must basically be removed before you can sit down. The pack is big enough to have mounted the tripod up much higher. You also can't mount the 'pod on the side. Its back and center or nothing, as far as I can tell. Zippers are a bit hard to get undone, though I figure security is not improved.

Will I buy it? It's up there at the top right now, though for some reason I'm not sold on the pack, mainly due to the tripod location. I would like to see the Vertex 200 first.

The Fastback series
    (200/250/350)

Overall Impressions: These represent an interesting concept. You don't have to take off the pack to access the camera. Just slip one arm loose, swing the pack around, and go at it. This was a hit with my girlfriend. She thought it was very cool. The bag was not big enough to fit everything, but almost. You could fit everything except for 1 body and the Nikon 70-200 in the photo compartment. You could fit the 70-200 in the upper compartment. You could also throw other things in that compartment too.

What I didn't like: Nearly everything else. No tripod holder, no AW cover, and not quite big enough. The bag was big enough actually, being nearly the same size as the Computrekker. But instead of having a full foto compartment, they cut the bag in half. The upper half has some space for small oods and ends, but otherwise is big. You could put a small jacket or something in there but I think everything else would feel like it was just thrown in there loose. Also, you can get the camera out easily, but with anything else, you've got to take the pack off anyway. My girlfriend thought it felt heavy compared to the Computrekker Plus, when in fact not everything was in the pack. I figure its due to the less padded harness.

Will I buy it? Not likely, nice concept but doesn't play out for me. If your load is light and you need a day pack, maybe for you it would be nice.

Flipside 300
    This is another interesting concept. You can't open the bag unless its off of you. From what I can see you have take backpacks off anyway, so it makes sense. It does this by putting the zipper up against your back. It looks small and I was hoping to find something that is as small as possible. You regain the tripod holder compared to the Fastbacks (but lose the computer storage)

What I didn't like: No AW cover. Again, I couldn't put everything in the bag. The second body and the 70-200VR didn't fit. Otherwise, most other things would fit that you'd expect: Batteries, memory cards, etc. There were some pockets here and there outside for pens and small things, and a compartment in the bag for other things. Lacks the substantial harness of the Computrekker Plus.

Will I buy it? This bag blew me away. While too small for everything, it provides security what I feel is outstanding security for the things it can carry. I think it would be easier to forget about this bag than the ST3000 I have. However, Considering what the bag could carry, the Stealth Reporter shoulder bag I have drops a considerable amount of weight and becomes bearable. I can't really justify having it and the ST300. If you are looking for a bag to carry your camera, a couple of lenses and some odds and ends, this may be the bag for you.

Vertex 300
    Overall Impressions: the store was about to close so I didn't get that much time to look at it. Seems a bit bigger than what I need. Like the Computer Trekker Plus AW, it fills every need. I'd probably spend more time looking at the V200 if I get a chance to go looking again. Seems to offer a very substantial harnes setup, like the CT+AW

What I didn't like: The pockets are a bit weird looking, but they also are too “specialized” It seems to me there are some pockets that if you can't put whatever thing they wanted you to put in them, you won't be able to put anything in them. The other thing that jumped out at me was the tripod holder. Its not built in like the others, but rather is an extra piece that could become lost.

Will I buy it? Its the other bag that really competes against the CT+ AW. However it seems I could use the V200 instead and so it might be a while before I can make my decision.

I haven't come across the other bags but if you have experience with lowpro bags similar to, or including the ones mentioned hear, I'd like to know.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2008
    I personally prefer not to have a tripod attached to the camera bag. I use an old, cheap and lightweight tripod and a luggage strap for a very portable configuration. The strap allows me to hang the tripod off my shoulder when I might be using it a lot, or I can slip the strap over my neck and across my chest for more long distance stuff.

This particular tripod has a "carry handle" as part of the design and the strap runs through the handle, but I could rig something to a tripod without the handle as well.
    ziggy53