Options

Selling low res. pictures???

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited July 31, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I got a couple of my pics taken without my consent eventhough I had the water mark and the protection (I 'm not surprise) but got fed up.
so I lower the resolution of the pics I uploaded to my site but now there are some people who want to buy some pictures and I am not sure if they are going to be sharp. Is smugmug making sure that the pics aren't super bad before sending them to the customers?

Bounty

www.bph.smugmug
:photo

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    I got a couple of my pics taken without my consent eventhough I had the water mark and the protection (I 'm not surprise) but got fed up.
    so I lower the resolution of the pics I uploaded to my site but now there are some people who want to buy some pictures and I am not sure if they are going to be sharp. Is smugmug making sure that the pics aren't super bad before sending them to the customers?

Bounty

www.bph.smugmug
    Only the original is used for printing and it has to be big enough to meet the
    minimum size for the sizes you offer. You can then replace it using proof delay
    with an even larger size.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    Thanks, I wasn't sure about the proof delay. Now I knowclap.gifclap.gif

Bounty
    :photo
  • Options
    HardcoreHardcore Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    I am interested in this as well. If you put a large image on your smugmug, but limit the size viewable by the viewer, can they still get access to the larger size, or is that a good way to protect the images?
  • Options
    MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    Hardcore wrote:
    I am interested in this as well. If you put a large image on your smugmug, but limit the size viewable by the viewer, can they still get access to the larger size, or is that a good way to protect the images?

And is there still an easy method for a "thief" to access the raw image, even though a watermark is applied through the SmugMug pro account?
  • Options
    cfrey6cfrey6 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    MikeMcA² wrote:
    And is there still an easy method for a "thief" to access the raw image, even though a watermark is applied through the SmugMug pro account?

I am curious how thieves are stealing these images, as well.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited July 31, 2008
    Hardcore wrote:

Don't allow access to the original. The original is always used for printing, but there is no reason to allow access to it online.

Take a look at this post by jfriend in a thread yesterday - http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=886754&postcount=6. He outlines the reality of showing images on the web.

Only you can decide what size you are comfortable with presenting on the web. Keep in mind that if an image is viewable on the web it can be grabbed from the buffer in the browser. You might be interested in a related post I made yesterday - related because it is talking about stealing photos from a blog, but the issues are similar - http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=886262&postcount=3.

Two pages with more good information -
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/image-protection
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/2008/07/04/right-click-protection-and-image-security/

--- Denise