Options

ANTS eating

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited April 10, 2005 in Holy Macro
I need to clean my sensor, it's filthy dirty, but I have to wait till my sensorbrush gets here in about 2 weeks time.

This means I can't use aperatures much above F8, or you'll see all the crap that is inside the camera all over the image.

I put some dog food out for my resident magpies who failed to come in for a feed, so the ants moved in :):

These are not very big ants and I do know where there is a nest of bull ants that would be about three times the size of these little guys, so I might disturb the nest and lay down some food to see if they will go for it......least while they're eating they sit still.

Camera = Canon 20D .... Lens = Canon 100mm Macro + Canon 250D.

Enjoy........ Skippy (Australia)

Ants2_filtered.jpg
Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    Very well done Skippy.
    Love the color.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    Thanks MHJS
    MHJS wrote:
    Very well done Skippy.
    Love the color.thumb.gif
    I only have to work half a day tomorrow, I will see if the bull ants are still where I saw them last and get some food ready ......they attack very quickly once the nest is disturbed....... if they will stand still for a little while I may just be able to get a couple of shots, it's far easier to take photos of larger bugs.
    Thanks for the comment......... Skippy (Australia)

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    :eat :food :eat :food

tasty
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    Hi there Mr Williams
    andy wrote:
    :eat :food :eat :food

tasty
    4 Months to goooooooooooo !!!! whooooooooohoooooooo!!
    You got any shots with your new Canon 24mm to show me???? :D
    Tell me you have :D tell me you love the lens and it's a beauty and your keeping it, and it does well for night scenes rolleyes1.gif

I want to get a wide angle for my trip, so I have 4 months before I go.

Hope I can get some Bull Ant shots tomorrow.........take care Andy.
    Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    4 Months to goooooooooooo !!!! whooooooooohoooooooo!!
    You got any shots with your new Canon 24mm to show me???? :D
    Tell me you have :D tell me you love the lens and it's a beauty and your keeping it, and it does well for night scenes rolleyes1.gif

I want to get a wide angle for my trip, so I have 4 months before I go.

Hope I can get some Bull Ant shots tomorrow.........take care Andy.
    Skippy (Australia)

i do have some shots ... and i do love the lens. the last two in this post are with the 24mm ... it's really sharp, great color and contrast, too. i can recommend it.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 9, 2005
    cool shot, skippy clap.gif it's great to see more of your macro work again! what are the differences between using a closeup lens such as the 250d vs. extension tubes? headscratch.gif

take care,
    sash
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    Hi Sash
    sash wrote:
    cool shot, skippy clap.gif it's great to see more of your macro work again! what are the differences between using a closeup lens such as the 250d vs. extension tubes? headscratch.gif

take care,
    sash
    To tell you the truth I haven't done enough Macro with the Canon 20D to really find out its true potential........ I have the Canon 100mm Macro, and I also have a set of Kenko Tubes, as well as the Canon 20D, and a Hoya 5+, and others as well, it's just finding something to actually photograph.

It's Autmn here now, but I have my fingers crossed that when Spring comes around my new plants which have grown just amazingly will attract lots of butterflies and bugs :D

Hmmmmmm but then I will be in America for two months......I have a Canon Flash Unit, and I recently brought the external Shoe for it, so I really have no excuses not to go out and try stuff........I want something decent hehehe you know a Huge Whopping Spider rolleyes1.gif

I'm heading off to work now, but I plan on playing with my Macro stuff when I get home....... my sensor is too dirty to use F stops above F8, so until my SensorBrush gets here, I can't clean it.

Thanks for Looking Sash :D Hope to post another image later today.
    Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    nice ants, however currently my dw is constantly interrupting me to spray the ever-ending ants trying to invade our home so im not in the best "Ant Mood" right now.....
    anyway in really have to getb out and try my 100 mm macro - ive been waiting for butterflies but none yet in my area..
    troy

Skippy wrote:

Enjoy........ Skippy (Australia)