Options

Nikon VS Canon VS ????

eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
edited August 3, 2008 in Cameras
:dunno Hi All
I am getting back into Photography, I have my old Yashica FRI with a 50 mm f 1.4 &28 mm f 2.8 & a 70-200 f 4. all working well and every thing is still working not bad for the old boy. I also have a Digital P&s. Now for the debate. I am looking at the nIkon D80 with a 18-200 mm lens. I have talked to friends and all have Nikon so I have focused on Nikon and was thinking the other day perhaps I am being a bit short sighted and am looking for some input as to a Nikon D80 counterpart :scratch
I am looking for your thoughts on what you use and if you had to do it all over would you do the same

Dean

Thanks in advance for your input:barb

Comments

• Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    Many of these systems have specific strengths, so the first question is what types of photography do you do?

Now onto the cameras. The one I've been surprised with lately is Olympus. I just picked up their E420 and been loving it. It feels very solid, and even their kit lens is nice. Since the small size doesn't seem to be as big of a concern for you since you're looking at the D80 the E520 should be the one you look at, it's the same camera basically with a bigger battery and built in image stabilization.

I don't have any direct experience with the 10 megapixel sensor in the D80 but I can tell you that my D50 has been through tons of abuse, and still works fine. Either way you're getting a great camera.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2008
    Thanks for the reply: As to what I will be shooting, Landscape / city scape, Nature, architecture , Family not my beautiful as she allows has her hand in front of her face in 1/1000 so I gave up mwink.gif
    I know it is all about the eye of the shooter not the camera but as you can see I will probably only buy one camera for the next 35 years :D so I wont to do this as best as I can.
    Dean
    Many of these systems have specific strengths, so the first question is what types of photography do you do?

Now onto the cameras. The one I've been surprised with lately is Olympus. I just picked up their E420 and been loving it. It feels very solid, and even their kit lens is nice. Since the small size doesn't seem to be as big of a concern for you since you're looking at the D80 the E520 should be the one you look at, it's the same camera basically with a bigger battery and built in image stabilization.

I don't have any direct experience with the 10 megapixel sensor in the D80 but I can tell you that my D50 has been through tons of abuse, and still works fine. Either way you're getting a great camera.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited July 31, 2008
    Hi Dean,

These days it's actually pretty easy to get great results from almost any modern dSLR. Do remember that it is all about systems which are largely incompatible with each other so you need to match the appropriate system with your needs.

Since it seems your needs are modest and your friends shoot Nikon, you might like the Nikon line best since you can tap your friends' experiences and knowlege.

The Nikon D80 is still a very viable camera and you can do great things with it.

While there is not a direct correlation between the D80 and competitors cameras, some similar priced offerings might be:

Nikon D200, that's right the D200 is not much more costly nowadays than the D80 and offers better shooting performance and CF card storage (if that's important.)

Canon 30D, around the same price as the D80, a bit less resolution, a bit better shooting performance in terms of fps. Also smoother high-ISO grain.

The Nikons have a more traditional layout and user interface (IMO) but I have no problems using either Nikon or Canon. (I shoot Canon 1D MKII, 40D and XT/350D as well as my father's Nikon dSLR.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    eyeguy wrote:
    Thanks for the reply: As to what I will be shooting, Landscape / city scape, Nature, architecture , Family not my beautiful as she allows has her hand in front of her face in 1/1000 so I gave up mwink.gif
    I know it is all about the eye of the shooter not the camera but as you can see I will probably only buy one camera for the next 35 years :D so I wont to do this as best as I can.
    Dean

If this is a camera, you are going to have for a long timethe Olympus also offers another featurethat's important if you decide to get more than one lens, being the dust reduction. From what I've heard, Olympus's is the best in the business for that. The reason for this is a big problem with digital SLR's is getting dirt on the sensor, and once it's there little dark spots on all your images until you get it cleaned
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2008
    Thanks for the great Info
    Thanks for the great Info and your insights thumb.gif
    Dean
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Hi Dean,

These days it's actually pretty easy to get great results from almost any modern dSLR. Do remember that it is all about systems which are largely incompatible with each other so you need to match the appropriate system with your needs.

Since it seems your needs are modest and your friends shoot Nikon, you might like the Nikon line best since you can tap your friends' experiences and knowlege.

The Nikon D80 is still a very viable camera and you can do great things with it.

While there is not a direct correlation between the D80 and competitors cameras, some similar priced offerings might be:

Nikon D200, that's right the D200 is not much more costly nowadays than the D80 and offers better shooting performance and CF card storage (if that's important.)

Canon 30D, around the same price as the D80, a bit less resolution, a bit better shooting performance in terms of fps. Also smoother high-ISO grain.

The Nikons have a more traditional layout and user interface (IMO) but I have no problems using either Nikon or Canon. (I shoot Canon 1D MKII, 40D and XT/350D as well as my father's Nikon dSLR.)
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2008
    Is the D200 better by $244.00
    Hi Ziggy
    I was just looking at prices on line in Calgary Alberta ( Home) and there is about a $244.00 cost difference for the D200 to the D80 do you think is better by this amount ne_nau.gif
    Dean
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Hi Dean,

Since it seems your needs are modest and your friends shoot Nikon, you might like the Nikon line best since you can tap your friends' experiences and knowledge.

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited July 31, 2008
    eyeguy wrote:
    Hi Ziggy
    I was just looking at prices on line in Calgary Alberta ( Home) and there is about a $244.00 cost difference for the D200 to the D80 do you think is better by this amount ne_nau.gif
    Dean

Yes, if it were my money I would pay the extra for the D200. It has a higher shooting rate (5 fps vs 3 fps), a higher shutter speed (1/8000th vs 1/4000th), much more information in the viewfinder (especially the ISO), the D200 meters with older manual focus lenses, the D200 has mirror-lock-up, faster flash sync, shorter shutter lag, much deeper shot buffer and lastly the shutter is supposed to be twice as durable in the D200 vs the D80.

Then again, the D80 is lighter and shoots more images with the same battery.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2008
    Thanks
    I will have to do more home work and do some digging around for a good deal.
    Dean
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Yes, if it were my money I would pay the extra for the D200. It has a higher shooting rate (5 fps vs 3 fps), a higher shutter speed (1/8000th vs 1/4000th), much more information in the viewfinder (especially the ISO), the D200 meters with older manual focus lenses, the D200 has mirror-lock-up, faster flash sync, shorter shutter lag, much deeper shot buffer and lastly the shutter is supposed to be twice as durable in the D200 vs the D80.

Then again, the D80 is lighter and shoots more images with the same battery.
  • Options
    MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    eyeguy wrote:
    Thanks
    I will have to do more home work and do some digging around for a good deal.
    Dean

If it was me, I'd get a Canon 30D. But wait, I already have one, and a 40D, and lenses to go with them. I shoot mainly sports with some wildlife thrown in every now and then. I don't have anything against Nikon so one of those brands may fit you nicely. I started with a Canon FTb in 1975 and I've used Canon gear ever since.

Here is an example from about three weeks ago. Shot through the dark fence backstop with a Canon 40D w/Sigma 120-300 f/2.8.

Good luck in your search.
    Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    I'm a major advocate of the Olympus cameras. You can't beat the features for price of these fabulous cameras.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    I will concur with ziggy's suggestion. For not much more, you get a semi-pro D200. You say you are getting back into photography so you will know your way around a camera. The D80 is a great camera as it has most of the inside of the D200 so you will not go wrong with it either. If you are going on the cheaper side, I would get a D40 over the D80, although it doesn't have AF built in the camera. You would have to make sure any lens you buy in the future has AF built into the lens. The D40 and 18-200 is a great combo.

I went from a D50 to a D300 and I appreciate the difference and more control the D300 has over the D50 as most of my setting changes have dedicated buttons on the camera and not in menu settings. The D200 will be like that as well. I can make the same shots as the D50, it just sometimes takes longer if I need to change settings.

About the 18-200, I LOVE this lens. It is on 90% of the time. However, if you shoot landscapes, architecture, etc, you will either need another lens that doesn't have as much distortion or get the program DXO that automatically corrects distortions. I find it's a great lens for events providing the lighting is good. I shoot for a newspaper and it is the one I use most of the time. We have a canon eos Mark IIn with 16-35 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 at the paper and I just don't like carrying a bag and a bunch of lenses to cover this range. The editors haven't complained about the distortions that come with having such a zoom range. I recommend doing a google search on the 18-200 just to see examples of the distortions. If you are picky, you will notice. If you just want to capture the moment and still have a great image, the distortions will not bother.

Also while you are at it, I would get the Sb-400 external flash for family pics that can be had for around $100. It can be bounced flashed which creates more natural light and maybe even your beautiful will like the more flattering light than the harsh straight on flash.
  • Options
    TpsfotoTpsfoto Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    I too have had alot of gear ......shooting as a pro since 1974....
    The Olympus line of cameras are great .....some of the best glass around....bodies are a little quirky.....back screens not so accurate....but that was the E1, Evolt 300 & the 400....maybe the new ones are better.

I loved my Canon glass & had great images with the 20D , 5D, 1D MK2, Rebel XTI (I still have the Rebel ) was not happy with the 40D & MK3's...
    If you pick up a Rebel XTi or 5D ....you will be happy.
    Lenses are a different story....stay away from Canon 17-85mm IS soft on the wide & is typically the lens they try to sell to you .....and the stock kit lens is lousy 18-55mm. For a Good Cheap alternative ...Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 ......I loved my 17-40 F4 Canon, 24-70mm, 70-200mm

Right now I have switched to Nikon D3 & D300 & alot of their glass.....those 2 , in my opinon are the only bodies (D700 as well ) that are better than anything Canon has to offer....
  • Options
    ArkayemArkayem Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    I like Nikon
    eyeguy wrote:
    ne_nau.gif Hi All
    I am getting back into Photography, I have my old Yashica FRI with a 50 mm f 1.4 &28 mm f 2.8 & a 70-200 f 4. all working well and every thing is still working not bad for the old boy. I also have a Digital P&s. Now for the debate. I am looking at the nIkon D80 with a 18-200 mm lens. I have talked to friends and all have Nikon so I have focused on Nikon and was thinking the other day perhaps I am being a bit short sighted and am looking for some input as to a Nikon D80 counterpart headscratch.gif
    I am looking for your thoughts on what you use and if you had to do it all over would you do the same

Dean

Thanks in advance for your inputwings.gif

I worked for a wedding studio that had both Canon 40D and Nikon D200 equipment. Both make amazing images. The difference is in the ergonomics and the flash systems. All of the photographers in our studio preferred the D200. The Nikon flash system is clearly superior and for weddings that is critical.

The 40D always felt less capable in my hands. I didn't like the small reviewing LCD or the spinning dial to go through the images. I never could keep from blowing out faces with the flash unless I underexposed and recovered it in post processing.

The D80 makes images that are equal to the D200, but some nice features from the D200 are missing.

The new D300 has some nice improvements over the D200, but it is much more expensive.

The new D700 is full frame, and probably beats every camera on the market except the top pro cameras in both Nikon and Canon families.

So, I think the answer to which equipment to buy depends on what you are shooting and whether you like the Canon feel vs. the Nikon feel. I prefer the Nikon feel. I know other pros who prefer Canon. You can make incredible images with either brand.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2008
    Thanks for the information: I was looking at the D80 as it was a transition between the two formats (manual & auto focus) this will allow me to purchase whatever nikon lens I wish. As for the lens I am looking at the 18-200 as my first lens as it will cover most of my shooting then look at other lenses when needed.
    Thanks
    Dean

jonh68 wrote:
    I will concur with ziggy's suggestion. For not much more, you get a semi-pro D200. You say you are getting back into photography so you will know your way around a camera. The D80 is a great camera as it has most of the inside of the D200 so you will not go wrong with it either. If you are going on the cheaper side, I would get a D40 over the D80, although it doesn't have AF built in the camera. You would have to make sure any lens you buy in the future has AF built into the lens. The D40 and 18-200 is a great combo.

I went from a D50 to a D300 and I appreciate the difference and more control the D300 has over the D50 as most of my setting changes have dedicated buttons on the camera and not in menu settings. The D200 will be like that as well. I can make the same shots as the D50, it just sometimes takes longer if I need to change settings.

About the 18-200, I LOVE this lens. It is on 90% of the time. However, if you shoot landscapes, architecture, etc, you will either need another lens that doesn't have as much distortion or get the program DXO that automatically corrects distortions. I find it's a great lens for events providing the lighting is good. I shoot for a newspaper and it is the one I use most of the time. We have a canon eos Mark IIn with 16-35 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 at the paper and I just don't like carrying a bag and a bunch of lenses to cover this range. The editors haven't complained about the distortions that come with having such a zoom range. I recommend doing a google search on the 18-200 just to see examples of the distortions. If you are picky, you will notice. If you just want to capture the moment and still have a great image, the distortions will not bother.

Also while you are at it, I would get the Sb-400 external flash for family pics that can be had for around $100. It can be bounced flashed which creates more natural light and maybe even your beautiful will like the more flattering light than the harsh straight on flash.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2008
    Thanks for your help
    Thanks for the help.
    I was at a wedding last night and the photographer was using a D200 with a remote flash & flash box. as well as having at least three lenses for different shots. I didn't have the opportunity to talk to him as he was working hard. As my friends have Nikon and Most of the comments are if favor of nikon I think am most likely to go with a Nikon If I can get a good deal on A D200 I will go that way or the D80 as both will last me for some time.

Thanks
    Dean
    Arkayem wrote:
    I worked for a wedding studio that had both Canon 40D and Nikon D200 equipment. Both make amazing images. The difference is in the ergonomics and the flash systems. All of the photographers in our studio preferred the D200. The Nikon flash system is clearly superior and for weddings that is critical.

The 40D always felt less capable in my hands. I didn't like the small reviewing LCD or the spinning dial to go through the images. I never could keep from blowing out faces with the flash unless I underexposed and recovered it in post processing.

The D80 makes images that are equal to the D200, but some nice features from the D200 are missing.

The new D300 has some nice improvements over the D200, but it is much more expensive.

The new D700 is full frame, and probably beats every camera on the market except the top pro cameras in both Nikon and Canon families.

So, I think the answer to which equipment to buy depends on what you are shooting and whether you like the Canon feel vs. the Nikon feel. I prefer the Nikon feel. I know other pros who prefer Canon. You can make incredible images with either brand.
  • Options
    Red JRed J Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    eyeguy wrote:
    Thanks for the information: I was looking at the D80 as it was a transition between the two formats (manual & auto focus) this will allow me to purchase whatever nikon lens I wish.

I had a D80 before my current D200.

You can use the same lenses on either, manual or AF. No difference in this regard.