Options

Downtown Ft. Worth, TX photowalk

jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
edited August 3, 2008 in Journeys
A few months ago I went to the Ft. Worth arts festival and I was impressed with the downtown area. This was before I got my camera. Now that I'm am obsessed photographer, I went back to downtown Ft. Worth to take some pics. I even somehow convinced my wife to come with me.

It was over 100 degrees but it isn't so bad when we were in the shade. All these pictures were taken between 10AM and 1PM so the lighting was very harsh.

We started by the Wells Fargo Tower. To me the tower looked foreboding when viewed from the base so I played with the image in post.
340775985_2ZoKg-L.jpg

There are actually two building just like this connected to each other via a walkway. The walkway's windows were being cleaned.
340775280_F9gv6-L.jpg

Right at the base of one of towers is a very old fire station. All of downtown Ft. Worth is a interesting mixture of old and new.
340823537_ozFE2-L.jpg
(if you look at the bottom right of the image you can see the lift arm that the window washer was using)

I'm one of those bad photographers who don't pay much attention to the subject of the picture. I'm not sure if this is a court house or city hall or what, but it looked good so I took it's picture!
340777295_TcYYE-L.jpg

Here is a nice mural. It is done to look 3D.
340780535_vJoDn-L.jpg

the symbol of Ft. Worth is the longhorn so you see longhorns everywhere. Here is a topiary near the mural.
340782623_8PG4e-L.jpg

The Bass Performance Hall is a beautiful building. I saw these angels months ago and thought then they would make great subjects. One day when the wife is out of town I'll come back at night with a tripod to truely capture their beauty.
340783620_prXhb-L.jpg

340785724_2XVXD-L.jpg

Many of the building have this 1920s (30s? 40s?) art deco look.
340784675_eMX3E-L.jpg

A funny looking bench with my wife demonstrating the odd proportions.
340787292_Tg6VP-L.jpg

This is supposed to be a really fancy restaurant. Looks more like a strip club to me.
340788501_FrNMz-L.jpg

I found the columns at the Ft. Worth Convention Center interesting.
340789786_VRSmU-L.jpg

A new skyscraper next to the convention center.
340791049_7qKUh-L.jpg

Ft. Worth Water Gardens were our turn around point. While the main pool at the water gardens was very cool, overall the gardens were lacking in my view. There was actually very few plants and just concrete everywhere. If you ask me they should keep the main feature and replace the rest of the garden with some more interesting water features or an actual garden.

The quiet pool
340793211_NR9hM-L.jpg

The main pool
340795978_nfM4W-L.jpg

Another view of the main pool.
340798199_mE8KD-L.jpg

(while making this thread, I looked up the water gardens on Wikipedia. Apparently the main pool used to be deeper and allowed swimming until 4 people drowned in it in 2004).

Another view of the tower still under construction.
340800369_qDtSJ-L.jpg

Some nice iron work on a AC vent of a tall building.
340802123_ebc6T-L.jpg

This picture is awesome not because it is a great picture but because it suggest so many easy titles.
Rebuilding the Faith
Deconstruction Religion
Faith Renewal
etc.
340803565_8zMkb-L.jpg

The street names by the church were written in tiles in the curb.
340806202_TCVV8-L.jpg

At this point we are hot and tired and walking fast to get to a restaurant for water (we didn't come prepared for the heat!)

An interesting angled building.
340807771_XnngZ-L.jpg

"Stop taking picture of the street names and walk faster!" -My wife

Another street name.
340810328_VbYbj-L.jpg

My wife is power walking at this point...
340819621_hqpyW-L.jpg

Interesting manhole patter.
340811926_Vnvzo-L.jpg

Finally water! Ahhhhhhh!
340813184_MCGya-L.jpg

From here we headed back to the car...

Another topiary. See the sign that says no touching? Yeah... as we were walking up to this one some lady was practically molesting this cowboy! Show show respect woman! (I didn't take her picture though).
340816257_ccq6V-L.jpg

Another cowboy.
340778826_b59qM-L.jpg

Another example of old and new.
340822324_NyFAb-L.jpg

From here we headed to TCU for another photowalk but that is a different post. We went to our favorite pizza place first though. The Mellow Mushroom. I've lived in 3 cities with Mellow Mushrooms and in all 3 cities I haven't found better pizza than at Mellow Mushroom. It is a hippie place with great beer and pizza. Their bread is better than any I've had with the possible exception of a stuffed pizza I had in Chicago one time. If you live near a Mellow Mushroom I suggest you check it out.
340890960_rKVuf-L.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Wow lots of things to see ! great series thanks for sharing !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    p27rpyp27rpy Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    jpl wrote:

Interesting manhole patter.
    340811926_Vnvzo-L.jpg

reminds me of the pattern i found EVERYWHERE in amsterdam. nice shots!

159914954_KQTsH-L.jpg
  • Options
    ToyseToyse Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    Nice Photo's.

The Water Garden was used as a back drop in a Movie called Logan's Run.

We have a mixture of old and New here in Cowtown.

Vist the Stockyards next time you are in town.

I forget what's in my own back yard for photo ops..may have to go downtown with my camera..thank you for reminding me what here.
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    Thanks for the tour. I've never been, but my father (1921 - 1992) was born there. He said that as a boy, he couldn't walk down Main St. without hearing Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys pouring out of shop windows.

I hope to visit one day. Great photos—you've got a keen eye.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    Howdy JPL,

Really a great PhotoTour of Cowtow, like Toyse said, it's nice to see someone else's perspective of what's in our Backyard.

Had a great time seeing it through your eyes!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas