Options

Replacing Photos

LouwPhotographyLouwPhotography Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited August 4, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
So we got an order :barb, but now don't really know what to do next:dunno.

Most of the photos/crops are fine, but there are a few that we cropped square, but the client purchased 4x6's and we don't think the composition works very well for them. We don't really want to replace the squared photos from our gallery, but to fulfill the order using a different file will give the client a better result. From what I can tell are our options either:

A. Crop the photo to 4x6 using the exisitng photo
B. Replace the photo, crop to 4x6, replace the photo again with the square crop once the order is fulfilled

Is there another option? Ideally, I'd like to upload a photo just for this order without replacing anything in our gallery.

For exmaple, one of the picutres in the order looks like this:
225982178_YySue-M.jpg
(Great White Wall, Rainbow Reef, Taveuni, Fiji)

Rather than crop this to a 4x6, I'd rather work with the original file to get the best composition.

Any suggestions for this order? Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited July 30, 2008
    Hi Lou,
    Yes, you can change the aspect ratio to make the images more 2:3 instead of 1:1. The only other alternative would be to select the No Crop option. This would place white borders on the right and left side of the prints. The image itself would also be smaller since it would be "shrunk to fit" into a 4x6 frame.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Hi LouwPhotography I'm looking at the order and I think you're right. It looks like the customer probably isn't aware of the crop because they just left it on Auto Crop. I think your best option is to use the original file if you can to fit the 4x6. Replace the image and hit Ship It. Once you've done that the order grabs the originals of all the images and stores them within the order. You can then re-replace the image back to the square image without messing up the order. I would then suggest using Image Level Pricing to only allow square prints of that image for the future. Make sense? This is the beauty of Proof Delay wings.gif.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Hi Lou,
    Yes, you can change the aspect ratio to make the images more 2:3 instead of 1:1. The only other alternative would be to select the No Crop option. This would place white borders on the right and left side of the prints. The image itself would also be smaller since it would be "shrunk to fit" into a 4x6 frame.

Steve
    You beat me :smack
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited July 30, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    You beat me :smack

Laughing.gif I just though of something too. If it will work, you can always rotate the crop so that it is in portrait orientation rather than landscape. It won't solve the square image issue. But is will give you some flexibility. Like I could see this photo with a rotated crop. You'd lose some of the right side. But the diver and most of the color would still be there and you woudn't necessarily need to substitute or upload 2:3 versions of all the shots.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    LouwPhotographyLouwPhotography Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Thanks to everyone that responded! I went with the replace and reupload approach. Not too bad, but I'll be sure to set the image-level pricing for the square-crop pics next time!
  • Options
    PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    ...and don't forget you have your customer's contact info, so you can talk to them personally about what they want. When I take "artistic license" with an order I write and let them know what I did, and tell them I'll be happy to do it again differently if they prefer.