Options

sunset action lense.

Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited April 10, 2005 in Accessories
I need to do a shoot with people moving at a jogging (fast walk) speed under a sun set lighting (or over cast evening). The subjects will be about 100 feet away... moving towards me... I have a 80-200 1:4.5-5.6. I notice there is motion blur in some photos... Can any one recumend a lense? Or ideas?
www.dipphoto.com
All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 10, 2005
    I need to do a shoot with people moving at a jogging (fast walk) speed under a sun set lighting (or over cast evening). The subjects will be about 100 feet away... moving towards me... I have a 80-200 1:4.5-5.6. I notice there is motion blur in some photos... Can any one recumend a lense? Or ideas?
    If you're getting the composition you want, try higher shutter speeds first.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    Aaron,

I take a lot of pictures of people running and have had my share of blur. Until I showed up here at dgrin, I was trying to stomp out blur like it was the plague.

The key to no blur was a high enough shutter speed (via a high enough ISO) and continuous focus on the camera.

On your 20D, this means that you should use AISERVO or AIFOCUS. Depending on the number of people approaching you, you might have to set your camera to use a specific focus point. I found that in a crowd of runners the focus will sometimes change to the wrong person. I would also take the camera off of single shot mode to allow continuous shooting.

Today I actually prefer a bit of blur as it shows that the person is indeed in motion. If I can freeze their head/torso, but have their arms or legs a little blurred, I am happy. For slow runners approaching me, 1/60 - 1/200 of a second has worked pretty well in most cases. For faster runners, I sometimes needed something a bit faster.

Without seeing any pictures, my guess is that the entire person is OOF. This is a sign that the person has moved from the point focused by the camera. AISERVO does a good job in anticipating the correct focus for the moving subject (significantly better than the 10D which I had before).

Regards,
    Brad
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    I have done that.... but for a new lenses should i go with a 17-80 with a f2.8? lower the f the faster shutter speed i can get in low light settings right?
    www.dipphoto.com

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    Why not use a higher ISO if conditions do not allow a fast shutter speed at lower ISO's?

But in general, an f/2.8 lens or brighter will let you get faster shutter speeds.
    I have done that.... but for a new lenses should i go with a 17-80 with a f2.8? lower the f the faster shutter speed i can get in low light settings right?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    like nice clear shoots vs. lots of noise in the photos :)
    www.dipphoto.com

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    That's just crazy talk ;-)

like nice clear shoots vs. lots of noise in the photos :)
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie