Options

Sunset near Devon, AB

djkdjk Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited April 10, 2005 in Landscapes
I was out for a drive last night and stopped to take some pictures of the gorgeous sunset. The only editing was to crop out some road signs.

19226726-M.jpg
(original here: http://djk.smugmug.com/photos/19226379-M.jpg)

Here are two more from that evening that I like:

19226515-M.jpg

19226478-M.jpg

There's some pretty bad camera shake there and I think that amount of cropping required to fix it would end up ruining it even more. I don't suppose there's a way to fix this without cropping the trees right out of there, but I'm open to suggestions.

So the lessons I've learned from this one are:

1) Make sure the camera is in the right mode before you start shooting. The flash that fired on the first photo really highlighted the road signs. The only good side of this is that it kept the shutter speed high enough that the camera shake wasn't as bad as the others.

2) Always keep the tripod in the car!

-- Dave

Comments

• Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    Nice colors....
    The first image is no doubt better than the other two in terms of sharpness of the trees. Since there's really nothing you can do to "fix" the tree blurr......

why not take advantage of this and turn your image into an atristic rendition of the scene? Maybe experiment with different settings in the filter" section of your photo editing software. That's what I do when I have images that are sub-par.

Thank you for sharing your images, the colors are really nice.

Markjay
    djk wrote:
    I was out for a drive last night and stopped to take some pictures of the gorgeous sunset. The only editing was to crop out some road signs.

19226726-M.jpg
    (original here: http://djk.smugmug.com/photos/19226379-M.jpg)

Here are two more from that evening that I like:

19226515-M.jpg

19226478-M.jpg

There's some pretty bad camera shake there and I think that amount of cropping required to fix it would end up ruining it even more. I don't suppose there's a way to fix this without cropping the trees right out of there, but I'm open to suggestions.

So the lessons I've learned from this one are:

1) Make sure the camera is in the right mode before you start shooting. The flash that fired on the first photo really highlighted the road signs. The only good side of this is that it kept the shutter speed high enough that the camera shake wasn't as bad as the others.

2) Always keep the tripod in the car!

-- Dave
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    Hi Dave
    Where are you at? I live in SW Edmonton, and we frequently visit the campground at Devon.

ann
  • Options
    djkdjk Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 10, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Dave
    Where are you at? I live in SW Edmonton, and we frequently visit the campground at Devon.

Hi Ann,

I'm currently in SW Edmonton as well. I don't drive out that way too frequently, I was just going for a little drive to try out the new tires on my car.

-- Dave