Options

Which do you prefer?

SteveLongPhotoSteveLongPhoto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited April 11, 2005 in People
One of my favorite photos of my granddaughter processed a couple of different ways.

Original, this one is pretty close to what the camera saw:

19249913-L.jpg

B&W, used many different layers and duotone:

19249929-L.jpg

Heavy color, color burn layer for extra saturation:

16296211-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    she has beautiful big eyes 4_11_8.gif , i like them in color - #1 is my choice!!

troy
    One of my favorite photos of my granddaughter processed a couple of different ways.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    I too think the eyes are amazing in #1! I would do only minimal correction to the blown out areas to the left. Although the B/W is a nice photo, you don't often get eyes with this much pop!

Brad
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    Blk & Wht thumb.gif
    gets rid of distracting background, eyes still pop and I like b&w portraits thumb.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    How about a tryptich? I love them all! I really do............ probably I prefer the black and white for its arty appeal. Not all portraits can transfer so nicely. And it puts all the emphasis on the child. But I do like them all.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    This is a classic place to apply the shadow/highlight correction I suggested here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=9231

(read to the end of the thread). If you shot raw, read this as well before you get started:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=9300

Even if you must convert those beautiful blue eyes to B&W, you really should fix the blown areas of the cheek first. She needs a cheek, whether or not she's in B&W, but the problem is much worse in B&W.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    I took a stab at it. The prognosis for that blown cheek is not good unless you shot in raw. This is the best I was ableo to do:

19258948-O.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SteveLongPhotoSteveLongPhoto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    The S1 doesn't shoot raw, only jpegs or tiffs and the tiffs are so huge they're unusable (reeeaaaallly slooooow recording), plus they're 8 bit-3 channel so there wouldn't be anything extra there. So I shoot jpeg. I've used shadow and highlight quite a bit before, but it tends to give an unnatural look. She has very pale skin and it's real hard to get a good exposure sometimes. I'll try some shadow and highlight and then add a little color and noise to the blown area to see if I can retouch it. Thanks for the feedback.

edited for typos.
  • Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    the first shot is great, I was struck by what a great exposure it is, yeah, her cheek is washed out, but it's still a perfect shot. Sometimes having areas which are washed out is the perfect exposure. One of the hardest things to do is just leave a photo as is and not try to improve it, especially with digital, this one's a keeper don't touch it. (re-touch that is)

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    100% the first, WOW bowdown.gif what a model!!! Those eyes are 100% spot on captured! clap.gif awesome!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    angiethegreatangiethegreat Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 11, 2005
    I would have to say I like the 3rd. There's something about the shawdowing I like. Very Beautiful model!!!