Options

Introduction and Some Images-

RickCoulbyRickCoulby Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited August 5, 2008 in Landscapes
Hello,

Im a newbie to the Dgrin Community. First I would like to introduce myself My name is Rick Coulby I am a sixteen year old photographer, and I have been shooting for 3 years. My main point of interest for the last year has been Landscapes for fun but for a job I shoot weddings. I have been on the Dpreview Forum for over 2 years but there a bunch of kids who care little about art and more about Gear.

If you interested in checking out my other work my website is below just a simple gallery..

Now for the landscapes, These are a few recents just wanted some c&c i have yet to get any filters I want a ND Grad, and Some GND grads but there extremely expensive and my funds are currently low and a tripod is on the top of the list of things i need.

Here are a few images that I would like some c&c on they have all been shot within a two week period, as you can see i love docks which is mainly whats around where I live.

101114924.SeXiO9kj.jpg

98372672.gv25uiEe.jpg

100399410.8e2msEAV.jpg

and a change from the docks
100722238.Hi2Dm0p3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    The sky in the first is awsome nice work, the dock is alittle soft(did you focus on the dock or the cloads?) either way I still love the pic.

The second is my favorite, great compostion! The colors are a bit strong for me though.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    cj99si wrote:
    The sky in the first is awsome nice work, the dock is alittle soft(did you focus on the dock or the cloads?) either way I still love the pic.

The second is my favorite, great compostion! The colors are a bit strong for me though.
    Thanks for the comments, The focus was on the clouds, I don't have a tripod so i could only handhold it max f11. Would f22 kept everything in focus?
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Nice shots thumb.gif Are these HDR? What software are you using?
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Dont worry about focusing on the clouds they will look perfect at f11 or lower if you focus on the dock..... oh yeah get a tripod! even if its a $15 sunpack from walmart it will steady your camera just fine. Nice photos.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Nice shots thumb.gif Are these HDR? What software are you using?
    All of them are HDR's I use photomatix. I try to go for a light HDR i can't stand those harsh contrast HDR's but all single Raw files.

Its a great program only 29.99
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    cj99si wrote:
    Dont worry about focusing on the clouds they will look perfect at f11 or lower if you focus on the dock..... oh yeah get a tripod! even if its a $15 sunpack from walmart it will steady your camera just fine. Nice photos.
    Yeh i had a bogen 3001BD but one of the legs broken off when I tried to push into the crease of a rock.

Trying to figure out how to get replacements parts but Im always to busy to call bogen.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Hi Rick and welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif

Wow I am so inspired by your youth and talent! I hope that we'll continue to see your work here on Dgrin and that you find what you seek in this community. We're friendly and don't bite (too much). I'm really loving your images here, and the fact that you too do a Photo a Day. thumb.gif

I'm headed for your galleries now. Stunning work!!
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Hi Rick and welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif

Wow I am so inspired by your youth and talent! I hope that we'll continue to see your work here on Dgrin and that you find what you seek in this community. We're friendly and don't bite (too much). I'm really loving your images here, and the fact that you too do a Photo a Day. thumb.gif

I'm headed for your galleries now. Stunning work!!

Thank so much for the kind words.. Actually you might be disapointed with my photo a day i work almost everyday so its almost like a photo umm every other day.. Hehe
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    RickCoulby wrote:
    All of them are HDR's I use photomatix. I try to go for a light HDR i can't stand those harsh contrast HDR's but all single Raw files.

Its a great program only 29.99

I know, but I just paid $99 for 3.0 headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    really :( Is it much better?
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:

Student discount... but I think it's actually $39.99. Still a good deal. Since I still have my college email address, I'm going to snag it when I get my next paycheck. Yes, I'm too broke right now to spare $40... the joys of searching for a real job. But for that price, I can't pass it up. It will sure beat cloning out the watermarks that the trial version leaves on my shots, although I'm actually getting pretty good at that. By the way, keep that on the down low, they might not give me the discount if they find out I've been doing that...

Oh yeah, to the original poster, great job with those shots. The colors are a little oversaturated for my taste, I'd probably tone it down a bit. When I'm adjusting saturation I often get to the point where I'm thinking, "now THAT looks awesome!" and then I have to tell myself to step it down a notch or two. I've found that this gives results that look bold and vivid without looking overly edited. But hey, better a little oversaturated than than undersaturated and flat looking, IMO. Composition is great. Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    You have an absolute wonderful eye for composition! Welcome. BTW, love the one of the old driftwood/dead tree on the beach w/ the storm clouds in the background.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    Idlewild wrote:
    You have an absolute wonderful eye for composition! Welcome. BTW, love the one of the old driftwood/dead tree on the beach w/ the storm clouds in the background.

Thanks for the kinds words :)
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    RickCoulby wrote:
    Hello,

Im a newbie to the Dgrin Community. First I would like to introduce myself My name is Rick Coulby I am a sixteen year old photographer, and I have been shooting for 3 years. My main point of interest for the last year has been Landscapes for fun but for a job I shoot weddings. I have been on the Dpreview Forum for over 2 years but there a bunch of kids who care little about art and more about Gear.

100722238.Hi2Dm0p3.jpg

Welcome Rick, I saw your goodbye over at dpreview, and you're right if you want to discuss hardware DPReview is the place to be (I'm over there everyday looking for news about the latest cameras).
    DGrin is the place to discuss the technique and art of photoraphy. You'll find here, there are active moderators (keeps things civil) and resident artists. Having a professional to provide constructive criticism for free is incrediblewings.gif. Here in landscapes the resident artist is Marc Muench who's a third generation world class landscape photographer (his father and grandfather are both celebrated landscape photographers). You'll find Marc to be a very approachable person and always willing to help. Take a look at the Muench University thread and the Resident Artist thread to see discussions. The other thing to look at is the Muench Workshops. I had the good fortune to be on the first Wild Utah workshop. Look around, I think you'll be very pleased with what you see.
    Again welcome.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Wow, Rick. Nice work. So glad you came over! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2008
    Welcome Rick, I saw your goodbye over at dpreview, and you're right if you want to discuss hardware DPReview is the place to be (I'm over there everyday looking for news about the latest cameras).
    DGrin is the place to discuss the technique and art of photoraphy. You'll find here, there are active moderators (keeps things civil) and resident artists. Having a professional to provide constructive criticism for free is incrediblewings.gif. Here in landscapes the resident artist is Marc Muench who's a third generation world class landscape photographer (his father and grandfather are both celebrated landscape photographers). You'll find Marc to be a very approachable person and always willing to help. Take a look at the Muench University thread and the Resident Artist thread to see discussions. The other thing to look at is the Muench Workshops. I had the good fortune to be on the first Wild Utah workshop. Look around, I think you'll be very pleased with what you see.
    Again welcome.
    -Philip

Thanks for the warm welcome, For some reason his SmugSmug isn't working darn I would love to see some of his work :(.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    RickCoulby wrote:
    Thanks for the warm welcome, For some reason his SmugSmug isn't working darn I would love to see some of his work :(.

Hmm Rick are you still having viewing trouble? The site looks fine to me and I would hate to have Marc's work slip by because of a tech glitch.
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    RickCoulby wrote:

You could try his main site.
    http://www.muenchphotography.com
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Rick, excellent set, I especially like the second (I love long exposures that flatten out the water), there's some slight vignetting on it that could be corrected (or not, it's not a huge deal). I don't mind the saturation either, I don't think the HDR is overdone at all.

Anyway, that's awesome for 16, keep on posting!