Options

Sticky for Virtual Galleries?

papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
edited August 5, 2008 in SmugMug Support
How about setting up a "Sticky" for Virtual Gallery feature requests?...just kidding....NOT!

A sticky would provide a focus on the specific virtual gallery capabilities requested from a variety of user inputs. I'm sure that these requests for virtual gallery capability are not going to "go away" as it's been a recurring topic for some time...just as I'm sure the SmugTeam will eventually (if they haven't already) assign resources to design and implement this long-sought capability.

"Keyword galleries" are a great start, but there's so much more that could be done to enhance their usefulness (including "new product" revenue opportunities for SmugMug...e.g. add DVD's to the shopping cart that are compiled from one or more of a user's virtual galleries).

Don't forget..."Great-Grandma" doesn't own a computer, but she does have a DVD player hooked up to her television. DVD's are a perfect way for her to enjoy "selected" collections (virtual galleries) from our SmugMug archives. If we had an easy way to produce them, I'm pretty sure they would be a popular product.

Comments

• Options
    HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Virtual Galleries
    Morning,

Virtual Galleries is my one-top-needed enhancement to SmugMug so any news would be very very welcome to get.

Regards, Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    It's been discussed a lot and you as well as many others have given input, which we've heard. We'd love to hear more thumb.gif

We have a sticky feature request thread, that the whole company looks at and reads, so please do post there, too thumb.gif
  • Options
    DalyDaly Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Hi,
    I have wished for a way to automatically download all the photos with the same 'keyword' in my Smug Mug galleries.

Is this request the same thing as 'Virtual Galleries'....?

Would 'virtual galleries' solve my problem too?

If the answer is yes, I need to jump on the Virtual Gallery bandwagon!

headscratch.gif
    Dalynn
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Daly wrote:
    I have wished for a way to automatically download all the photos with the same 'keyword' in my Smug Mug galleries.

There's a workaround for this.
    1) View your keyword page in "all-thumbs" mode
    2) Select File/Save As (and choose the html-only option)
    3) Manually edit the file, using search-and-replace to change the -Ti to -O
    4) Open the file in a browser (it will take a long time to load, and the photos will be distorted, since your browser is trying to fit an original jpeg into the thumbnail dimensions)
    5) Select File/Save As (and choose the complete option)

You will now have a folder that contains all of your originals.
  • Options
    DalyDaly Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    PBolchover wrote:
    There's a workaround for this.
    1) View your keyword page in "all-thumbs" mode
    2) Select File/Save As (and choose the html-only option)
    3) Manually edit the file, using search-and-replace to change the -Ti to -O
    4) Open the file in a browser (it will take a long time to load, and the photos will be distorted, since your browser is trying to fit an original jpeg into the thumbnail dimensions)
    5) Select File/Save As (and choose the complete option)

You will now have a folder that contains all of your originals.

Thank you for taking the time to type all that out for me. I am aware of this 'work around' and I do personally use it.

I should have been more specific in my request I think.

I would like an easier way for my 'not-too-computer savy' family members to be able to easily download several photos at once. Also my homeschool group is producing a Yearbook and it would be great for the page designers to be able to download only the photos they intend to use on the page, the photos that they have 'keyworded'. -They complain that they have to dl each one individually.

I have created a tutorial for them with screen shots of the above detailed method (which they didn't really understand and thought was complicated). We'll see if any of them actually work through my tutorial and do it!mwink.gif

Just seems like it would be a pretty 'basic' request: Auto dl of keyworded photos.

And I'm talking about just auto downloading from my own site, not all of SM world......maybe thats the issue....? SM doesn't want to make it too easy for anyone to be able to DL photos from other accounts.....?
    Dalynn