Options

long time lurker, first time poster! New Camera

ThesmazThesmaz Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited August 7, 2008 in Cameras
Hi,
I new....to posting on this forum but I have been lurking for a couple of years. I actually found out about Dgrin from Advrider! I have been amazed by some of the photos that folks here take. I've been playing with a Casio EXP600 for a few years now and was ready to make the jump to DSLR. I told myself that when I got promotted that I'd get a much better camera. After months of research and going back and forth I finally pulled the trigger last week. I went with the Canon XSI w/ 17-85 IS USM, 55-250 IS, 50mm,grip and 430 EX flash. I almost went with the 40d mainly because of the physical size but after reading the manual I felt that it might be a bit much for my first DSLR. Everything just showed up today so I've spent the evening thumbing through all of the literature and charging all of the batteries so I'll be ready to start playing tomorrow after work. Anyway I look forward to sharing photos and having the "whipped" in the near future!

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Thesmaz wrote:
    Hi,
    I new....to posting on this forum but I have been lurking for a couple of years. I actually found out about Dgrin from Advrider! I have been amazed by some of the photos that folks here take. I've been playing with a Casio EXP600 for a few years now and was ready to make the jump to DSLR. I told myself that when I got promotted that I'd get a much better camera. After months of research and going back and forth I finally pulled the trigger last week. I went with the Canon XSI w/ 17-85 IS USM, 55-250 IS, 50mm,grip and 430 EX flash. I almost went with the 40d mainly because of the physical size but after reading the manual I felt that it might be a bit much for my first DSLR. Everything just showed up today so I've spent the evening thumbing through all of the literature and charging all of the batteries so I'll be ready to start playing tomorrow after work. Anyway I look forward to sharing photos and having the "whipped" in the near future!

Prego and welcome to dgrin. I have the same camera with lots of shots from your glorious country. :ivar
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,856 moderator
    edited August 4, 2008
    Thesmaz wrote:
    ... I finally pulled the trigger last week. I went with the Canon XSI w/ 17-85 IS USM, 55-250 IS, 50mm,grip and 430 EX flash. ...

Thesmaz, congratulations on the new system and welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Looking forward to some images.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Congrats.
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    congrats on your new camera! we look forward to more posts in the future. clap.gif
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    Thanks all, I hope to be able to get out and start learning the camera this weekend. I really want to be able to dedicate some time to mess about with the functions and just don't have the time during the week. Being lucky enough to be living in Italy for a few years will give me plenty of really interesting places to shoot.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    Question, what would be a good wide angle lens for the XSi? Being at the foot of the Dolomites and Alps I have a feeling that I'm going want as wide a lens as I can get (for an affordable price). TIA
  • Options
    eyusufeyusuf Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    canon 10-22
    sigma 10-20
    tokina 12-24
    tokina 11-16
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,856 moderator
    edited August 6, 2008
    There are quite a few decent wide-angle and super-wide-angle lenses available for the Canon 1.6x crop cameras like the XSi.

You have the EF-S 17-85mm, f/4-5.6 IS USM which qualifies with around twice the "normal" field-of-view.

If you mean super-wide-angle lens then popular choices are:

Canon EF-S 10-22mm, f/3.5-4.5 USM
    Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Tokina 12-24mm, f/4 PRO DX

... with an excellent newcomer, the Tokina 11-16mm, F/2.8 ATX Pro.

I own the Sigma and I'm very pleased with its performance.

P.S. Obviously Eyusuf can type more quickly than I can. mwink.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    Thanks for the info! I was looking on Canon's and Sigma's website last night and had spotted those two lens but I'll have to check into the others.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    i recommend the tokina 12-24. excellent lens, cheaper than canon, and has a very good build quality; not feel cheap and plasticky as canon does.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    i have the tokina 12-24mm f/4 for nikon and can say it's a very nicely built lens. it's not super sharp but does get the job done.
    - Dan

• Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    dangin wrote:
    i have the tokina 12-24mm f/4 for nikon and can say it's a very nicely built lens. it's not super sharp but does get the job done.

super sharp compared to..?

i think UWA lenses are never sharp like primes or even zoom lenses.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    eyusuf wrote:
    super sharp compared to..?

i think UWA lenses are never sharp like primes or even zoom lenses.

compared to nikon's new 14-24mm f/2.8. but the nikon lens also costs about 4x as much as the tokina.
    - Dan

• Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    dangin wrote:
    compared to nikon's new 14-24mm f/2.8. but the nikon lens also costs about 4x as much as the tokina.

well, that's hardly a valid comparison though..:D

so the nikon 14-24 f/2.8 is sharper than these?
    http://eyusuf.smugmug.com/photos/241637821_5fqvB-O.jpg
    http://eyusuf.smugmug.com/photos/241637839_qruQ3-O.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    eyusuf wrote:
    well, that's hardly a valid comparison though..:D

so the nikon 14-24 f/2.8 is sharper than these?
    http://eyusuf.smugmug.com/photos/241637821_5fqvB-O.jpg
    http://eyusuf.smugmug.com/photos/241637839_qruQ3-O.jpg

i can say from personal experience comparing landscape shots w/ another photographer who used a nikon 14-24mm and shooting at f/4 to the tokina 12-24mm on a d200 that i have shooting wide open (f/4), the other photog's images seemed sharper.

i'll say that i think tokina makes good lenses with good optics and pretty solid construction. however, they really ought to make some more full frame lenses. their current lineup includes only 1 full frame lens, the rest are cropped lenses.
    - Dan

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    I am very close to pulling the trigger on the Canon 10-22. Based upon my research, that is the best of these, although the Tokina is a close second.