Options

Getting a little more accurate

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited April 5, 2004 in Accessories
As I improve my photoshop skills, I'm finding that the mouse is just not optimal for fine movements. What do y'all use? A pen/tablet? Any recommendations?
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited April 3, 2004
    fish wrote:
    As I improve my photoshop skills, I'm finding that the mouse is just not optimal for fine movements. What do y'all use? A pen/tablet? Any recommendations?
    Funny you should mention it. I was thinking about a wacom tablet and
    pen. I was thinking something in the 6x8 like this Wacom Tablet

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2004
    fish wrote:

I've become quite fond of my Logitech Marble Mouse, sort of a roller ball that is operated by the index finger and the clicks are operated by the thumb and ring finger. It's a USB device and works fantastic with fairly decent accuracy in PS.
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    peachmaanpeachmaan Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2004
    The pen thingy would be effective.... but can't you raise the sampling rate on your mouse in the mouse properties a little more??
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2004
    I use the wacom 6x8 tablet, and I'll never go back to a mouse for photo work. It feels so natural, and the accuracy is amazing.

If you live near an Apple store, they have some on display that you can use.

http://www.apple.com/retail/

Dave
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2004
    Thanks for the responses. I notice there are several models of wacom tablets. A local computer shop has a Wacom Graphire3 6X8 USB Tablet White (CTE630PE) for $170.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Thanks for the responses. I notice there are several models of wacom tablets. A local computer shop has a Wacom Graphire3 6X8 USB Tablet White (CTE630PE) for $170.
    I have one Fish...absolutely a must... you'll never go back.. the control is just like drawing, just amazing..mines the Intuos 2.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Funny you should mention it. I was thinking about a wacom tablet and
    pen. I was thinking something in the 6x8 like this Wacom Tablet

Ian
    Yes Ian, Iwas just saying to Fish.. I have the Intuos 2.. I absolutely love it. Nothing like a mouse, absolute control, you'll love it.
    Lynn
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2004
    fish wrote:

I have the intuos2.

Dave
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited April 4, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Yes Ian, Iwas just saying to Fish.. I have the Intuos 2.. I absolutely love it. Nothing like a mouse, absolute control, you'll love it.
    Lynn
    I have a 6x8 or so Graphire tablet and I have installed it and removed it twice - I just cannot seem to coordinate with the screen and the pen as well as I can with the 4 button wheelmouse. Maybe I should give it another try, seems like most folks prefer the pen.

I wonder if the people who prefer the pen tend to be Apple users where the mouse only has one button - or not. For me, control does not come from manual dexterity, but working at the appropriate resolution on the screen. If I can see it on the screen, I can follow it with the mouse - at least I think I can anyway lickout.gif.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2004
    Good point, 'finder. If I'm having trouble with the ol' hand-eye coordination, I just bump the zoom. Eventually I get to the pixel stage, and that's big enough to navigate with a mouse. In the past I had thought about getting a tablet, but I seem to be making do without, so I'll persevere.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2004
    I have an Intuos and an Intuos 2 in my studio, both A4 size. Like many others, I'll never go back to photoshopping with a mouse. The tablet is so much faster and natural, and you get pressure AND tilt sensitivity. Get one. You won't regret it for a minute.

That said, there are operations I prefer to do with the mouse, but if I had to choose just one, I'd go with the pen.

No need to get a big one, a medium or even small graphire will do just fine if you're not going to be doing long hours with it. Plus it takes up less space on your desk.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2004
    Fish,

I've got a wacom that's just sitting right now (actually I've got two, an old serial port model, and a newer USB model). I keep meaning to start using it again, but I just haven't.

I am interested to know what type of mouse you're using. I've got an optical mouse on my machine at work and I find it extremely easy to use with accurate results. I have a much harder time with the mechanical ball type mouse that I've got at home. If you don't have an optical mouse, give one a try. They're inexpensive and even if it isn't the answer for your photoshop work, you'll still have a better mouse for everything else you do on the computer.