Canon 400D (XTI) save image name problem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grinsBournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
edited August 8, 2008 in Technique
Up until a couple of weeks ago all my images were saved as 'img_1234.cr2' (obviously the numbers changing per pictures) when they are saved to the memory card. But since a couple of weeks ago my images are now being saved as '_mg_1234.cr2', the leading "i" is missing. I have checked the memory card on a different PC and the pictures are saved as '_mg_1234.cr2' on the memory card, so it is not my processing software playing up.

Can somebody tell me where the setting is on the camera as I can't find it, I know it is there but where??

Tim

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Have you switched the camera setting to raw
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Yes I have been using raw for the last 8 months, not changed anything since changing to raw.

Tim
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited August 6, 2008
    draggin wrote:
    Up until a couple of weeks ago all my images were saved as 'img_1234.cr2' (obviously the numbers changing per pictures) when they are saved to the memory card. But since a couple of weeks ago my images are now being saved as '_mg_1234.cr2', the leading "i" is missing. I have checked the memory card on a different PC and the pictures are saved as '_mg_1234.cr2' on the memory card, so it is not my processing software playing up.

Can somebody tell me where the setting is on the camera as I can't find it, I know it is there but where??

Tim

Check to see if you have the color space set to Adobe RGB.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 7, 2008
    Hi Ziggy, yes it is set to Adobe, as I mention, I have not changed any settings on the camera for months.

Tim
    edited August 7, 2008
    draggin wrote:
    Hi Ziggy, yes it is set to Adobe, as I mention, I have not changed any settings on the camera for months.

Tim

As a test, set it to sRGB and take a picture.
    ziggy53
    edited August 8, 2008
    Set it to srgb and the naming is correct headscratch.gif

But I have not changed the 'rgb' settings, since I got photo elements months ago.

So my next question is how do I get the full naming on adobe rgb??

Tim
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited August 8, 2008
    draggin wrote:

But I have not changed the 'rgb' settings, since I got photo elements months ago.

Tim

Tim,

I don't know what caused the change here, but I don't understand why it matters to you. Most people rename their image files as soon as they are uploaded to prevent duplicate file names when the numbering rolls over at 9999. Keep in mind that the file name means nothing to the software that processes the pics.
    edited August 8, 2008
    I understand fully Richard, but the way I save my pictures I maintain the picture naming from the camera as all my pictures are saved in to relevant albums based on the event and date. So even when the camera numbering rolls over they will be saved in different folders anyway so the confusion should not be a problem.

I have not found a photo processing program that will remove the first '_' and replace it with a 'i' I can do it from a command line script but that means having to upload to a folder and then run the script and then move into the albums as opposed to uploading straight into the album.

Tim
    edited August 8, 2008
    draggin wrote:

Tim

Tim,

Now look at the bottom of page 83 of your Users Manual and read what it says.

Here is a link to the PDF vesion in case you can't find your manual right away:

http://eosdoc.com/manuals/?q=EOS400D

The truth is, unless you shoot in JPG, the color space doesn't matter. RAW images do not record color space, only the settings.

Set your camera to RAW and sRGB and the naming will be fine. The underscore is the camera's method of denoting when the camera is set in Adobe RGB. You just don't remember that it was in sRGB before, but it had to have been.

You will still use your RAW conversion software to record the Adobe RGB, or any other color space for that matter.

The mind plays funny tricks on us sometimes. (Especially when you get to be "my" delicate age. mwink.gif)
    ziggy53
    edited August 8, 2008
    OK I will give you the age and the mind bit, but I am sure I set the colour to adobe rgb ages ago, and I seem to remember as I had to look for the handbook as I wanted to check something else and I could not find the handbook.

I will thank you for your tireless effort Ziggy and I will now retire to a darken room with a bottle of grape juice to rest those few remaining brain cells I have mwink.gifwink

Tim